• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Interested in JH4NA1157MT001121 on EBay Motors

Well if I can't get FarEastGrappler's gorgeous silver 91, this is my second option: http://m.ebay.com/itm/121418873945?txnId=0
Reserve is set at $34000, which I think is silly since the buy it now is at $35000, but that's on the seller. According to him the only mods are wheels and intake, unless you guys can spot any more. Says he has service history and window sticker, although he only knew the second owner not the first so not sure if the records are there from the first owner. Haven't got a carfax yet but will before bidding ends. He doesn't know if it's in the snap ring range or not. What do you think of the condition/ price/ things to look out for?

My initial concern is there is no track record for this seller on fleabay and his writeup is fairly bare boned. Any chance you can get its location and send a local to check it out?

He doesn't know if it's in the snap ring range or not.
That car was definitely NOT in snap ring range when it left the factory. So assuming it didn't have the entire transmission replaced during its first couple of years, it's not in snap ring range now.

- - - Updated - - -

The vehicle is located in Canton, GA if anyone is close to there...
If you took the time to look on a map, you would have found that town is just north of Atlanta. There are plenty of 'primers in the area, as well as shops with NSX experience (e.g. Eiffel). Ask for those north of Atlanta and you might get some volunteers. Or keep asking for someone close to Canton, and you won't get any takers. :)

Fair enough, any 'primers north of Atlanta willing to take a look at this car? Also for my own edification how can you tell whether it was in the snap ring range or not without the transmission number? Lastly do you have contact info for an NSX shop in the area I can contact for a PPI? Seller is OK with it

how can you tell whether it was in the snap ring range or not without the transmission number?
You can't tell precisely, because they didn't install the transmissions into the cars in the same order as the transmissions were built. However, from my observations, snap ring cars started showing up when the U.S. serial numbers (VIN) ended in somewhere around MT002400 and higher. I don't know what precise VIN means you're okay; if you tell me you know of a car with MT0023xx that has the snap ring problem, I wouldn't be surprised. But a car with a VIN ending in MT001121 was built 4-5 months before the snap ring cars started rolling off the assembly line. No way it was built with a snap ring tranny.

If you get the car inspected by someone, they can write down the tranny serial number for you, which is the absolute certain way to check. But I'd bet the farm on VIN MT001121 not having a snap ring tranny.

do you have contact info for an NSX shop in the area I can contact for a PPI? Seller is OK with it
I know NSXprime member username Eiffel has a shop in the Atlanta area. You can also find recommendations of shops in the Atlanta area in the Atlanta regional forum by clicking here. For example, this NSX mechanic is in Woodstock GA, which is only ten miles down the road from Canton.

Last edited:
snap ring cars started showing up when the U.S. serial numbers (VIN) ended in somewhere around MT002400 and higher.

Just wanted to add - mine is MT002113, and my transmission was *not* in snap ring range. This seems like a good loose rule of thumb to estimate snap ring failure if the seller doesn't know / have the transmission # on hand.

Just wanted to add - mine is MT002113, and my transmission was *not* in snap ring range. This seems like a good loose rule of thumb to estimate snap ring failure if the seller doesn't know / have the transmission # on hand.
I agree, but would consider it loose, as you recommend. If the VIN ends in MT002300, as noted above, it might not be in range, but it's iffy. But if it's less than, say, MT002000, it is about as close to a certainty as you can get.

I agree, but would consider it loose, as you recommend. If the VIN ends in MT002300, as noted above, it might not be in range, but it's iffy. But if it's less than, say, MT002000, it is about as close to a certainty as you can get.

interesting and scary, my 91' vin ends in 2422. i was told it was not in snap ring range though as listed on prime. i guess i need to get the tranny numbers.

i guess i need to get the tranny numbers.
You can stand over your car and see it yourself. No need to take anything apart, just stand to the left of the car and look down, while the car is in an area with plenty of light. A flashlight may or may not be needed. If you're not sure where to look, another NSX owner in your area may be able to help you.

Update on this vehicle following PPI, for anyone considering buying this car, now listed on Cars.com and Autotrader instead of Ebay Motors. Transmission is not in snap ring range, last 4 numbers are 1398. Current owner picked it up relatively cheap from Carmax and is looking to flip it and make a profit. He has little to no knowledge of the vehicle's history or about the NSX. From a short distance away the vehicle looks great, but on closer inspection it is in pretty rough shape. Please contact me for pictures if you are looking for more details, but the PPI revealed at least 14 exterior blemishes from large and small scratches to hazing to clear coat being buffed away. Also front bumper wiggles like it is loose and the bolts for the bumper mounting brackets are obviously out of their original position, possibly bumper was removed in the past. The weatherstripping at the top of the windshield is separating and no longer in place. The coolant hoses are all original. Light oil residue on the bottom of the engine and A/C compressor. Anti-roll bar under ABS bracket has significant corrosion, bracket was re-powdercoated, probable brake fluid leak in the past. The interior is not in great shape either, with a fairly large rip in the drivers seat bolster, lots of bubbling in the door trim surrounding the window switches and vents, scratches on the door handle and center console, the trim on the top half of the driver door interior is broken away and leaves a fairly large gap including some missing screws and broken tabs, radio does not work and only half the radio memory buttons light up. Dome light hangs down from the ceiling on one side.
Again I have pictures for anyone that wants them, car seems to be in decent shape mechanically although sometimes it has difficulty starting when left to sit for a while, apparently a main relay problem. Not a bad car, but definitely needs some TLC, and not worth the $35,000 the seller wants for it. I don't want to discourage anyone from buying it, just want you to know what you are in for since the seller does not mention any of this in his listing and his photos dont show it either.

Back