• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Test Pipes question

Is there any real significant gain for a N/A car like there would be for a FI car? I no longer need to pass emissions so test pipes are cheap and easy to install. If there is good results from them, i figure why not. I'm sure they will be some good weight savings also.

thanks Prime

yea test pipes are good you want to match or be bigger in diameter than the header collectors tho.

Theres no real significant gains. Depending on your exhaust will determine how much louder it will be. You will need to wax your rear bumper every 2 weeks, but that's easy. You want at minimum 2.25 diameter.

saves some weight , adds allot of volume to the sound,and is more odoriferous,plus the soot.

But but...You're killing me
J0LMopm.jpg

Is there any real significant gain for a N/A car like there would be for a FI car? I no longer need to pass emissions so test pipes are cheap and easy to install. If there is good results from them, i figure why not. I'm sure they will be some good weight savings also.

thanks Prime
I found I lost power and went back to high flow cats for some back pressure it sounded better to. At that time i had Taitec headers and a Borla anytime? Exhaust and then put some Python high flows on, car is NA.

Not sure about these comments... Yes you will make power and its probably the best bang/buck, however your car will be a lot louder, smell a bit more, and have an I crease of rear bumper soot deposits.

Billy I thought the same but it didnt help with my car maybe with a different ecu and a proper tune it would have? It was not only as you have said above louder more soot and smell it also had a horrible blaaah sound before the revs got up and the high flows cats stopped that, however my combination of exhaust mods may have been the issue not just the straight pipes. I have a diiferent exhaust setup now without cats and i do not have that issue this time and next week I will have a diiferent ecu and tune so hopefully that might help with a bit of the soot issue as she is running a bit rich

Have done cat/no-cat testing with different Hondas and none showed gains that were really worth the trouble. Where I live its against tax law because cat-less cars have higher tax and you probably know how serious it gets when it comes to tax violations.

Any good sports cat with 200cps will give equal or better performance and does not get you into trouble with emissions, smell and cops ...

Bernhard

I have angus test pipes with pride lightweight exhaust. Let's just say the car sounds much better and is a lot lighter. Also I have stock headers as I have a 97. The gains are noticeable.

Is the test pipe loud at idle? I'm pretty sure it will be loud at WOT. I got the 1st gen CT exhaust & everything else stock. My test pipe from Mark should coming in soon. What's your opinions?

with stock manifolds test pipes and ct exhaust your combo will not be painfully loud.Let us now how you like it.you really should get a set of true headers though.

with stock manifolds test pipes and ct exhaust your combo will not be painfully loud.Let us now how you like it.you really should get a set of true headers though.

Thanks for your input. But at WOT it would be loud correct?

define loud....:wink:

at idle you should be ok.What helps keep the induction honk is keeping the air filter oem.You should still be able to hear the sewing machine sounds of the valve train at idle with your combo...but just.

at idle you should be ok.What helps keep the induction honk is keeping the air filter oem.You should still be able to hear the sewing machine sounds of the valve train at idle with your combo...but just.

Comptech uni filter is different from oem with test pipe?

yes the uni gives you more hiss and obscures the honk.You still may be alright if you left the resonance piping behind the fender .

Wife has an Evo with a Greddy cat back & I think her car is loud. Would comptech gen 1 exhaust & test pipe will be louder? They will be getting install saturday

at this point just do it and see.....car sounds are too subjective to help you on line.

So test pipes were install, sounded the same at idle. WOT , yes it gets loud. My brother has the s2000 q300 invidia exhaust, and I think it's loud. Comptech with test pipe is about 20% louder than that. I'm personally happy as it's not too too ridiculously loud but yes it's loud enough to turn heads.

good for you.....now go "make some noise":biggrin:

I just did a full exhaust set up on my car and COULD NOT be happier with my sound. Top speed V2 headers, AP-X 100 cell high flow cats, and AP-X cat back exhaust and mufflers. I now have ZERO drone, engine cough, or popping/cracking sounds. I heard a few other exhaust systems at the NSXPO in NC and HATED the way they sounded. A few of the guys I know were running test pipes/straight pipes. Right now my set up is very deep at idle and lets you know it isn't stock up to 3K. From 3-5K it has a very deep and aggressive sound. After 5K all bets are off and it screams, but in a very nice exotic way!

The video does not do it justice but....

-Alec

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KJoro8ZYwwg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back