• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

are these OEM rims?

You mentioned the Pilot Super Sport and the Pilot Sport PS2. Which ones are you looking to get? And why did you want 265? 255 is available in the Pilot Sport PS2...

Hapa88- I just went by Costco. I learned a few things.

One, they would need to order the 17s for the rear (Pilot Super Sport). They are in high demand.

Two, they have nothing for the front 16s in 215/45 save for Bridgestone. Pass.

Three, because my 1991 called for 15/16 setup, they would not put my OEM wheels back on the car. Liability reasons. Whatever.

Four, they wanted me to bring the NSX in anyway so they could see it. Nice.

Five, I popped out those OEM centers to as not to have them go missing/broken. Those little monkeys can get lost if one does not keep an eye on them (they look like any normal plastic parts.)

So...I will wait for Tire Rack and get tires there sometime. No hurry. I have 17/18 meats on there now. I kinda like it.

Car still with detailer doing the paint correction. Not like I can drive it anyway. But, thought I would share that I have not seen my car in a few days.

Costco has a limited selection of tires - only 3-4 brands, and only certain models from those brands. And they know nothing about the NSX.

Costco has a limited selection of tires - only 3-4 brands, and only certain models from those brands. And they know nothing about the NSX.

Okay Ken. I know you know where the tires are all hidden/waiting for me.

Hit me with it.

I can drop them this weekend if you have a source.

Thanks again.

Okay Ken. I know you know where the tires are all hidden/waiting for me.

Hit me with it.
What size are your rims? You mentioned 17" rears. Are they the 16"/17" stock rims used on the '94-01 NSX? If so, as I just posted in another topic here...

There are plenty of tires currently available in the sizes you need. Remember, with the stock 16"/17" wheels, you can use 205/45-16 or 215/45-16 in front, and 245/40-17 or 255/40-17 in the rear. Any combination of these sizes will work.

If you want the absolute best traction and grip, get one of these "extreme performance" tires:

Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 205/45-16, 255/40-17
Hankook Ventus R-S3 (Version 2) 205/45-16, 245/40-17, 255/40-17
Toyo Proxes R1R 205/45-16, 245/40-17, 255/40-17
Kumho Ecsta XS 215/45-16, 245/40-17, 255/40-17
Falken Azenis RT-615K 215/45-16, 255/40-17

Downsides of those tires is that they are relatively expensive and they wear out relatively fast.

If you want tires that last somewhat longer and cost a bit less, and you're willing to accept a lower level of performance, there are no "maximum performance" tires available in the proper sizes, but two of the best tires in the next performance category down, "ultra high performance" tires, are available:

BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 205/45-16, 245/40-17, 255/40-17
Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport 205/45-16, 245/40-17, 255/40-17

For the most precise handling feel of any tire, the original factory tire is also still available in the stock sizes:

Bridgestone Potenza RE010 215/45-16, 245/40-17

All of these tires are available at the Tire Rack, except for the Falken, which is available at Discount Tire Direct.

Last edited:
What size are your rims? You mentioned 17" rears. Are they the 16"/17" stock rims used on the '94-01 NSX? If so, as I just posted in another topic here...

All of these tires are available at the Tire Rack, except for the Falken, which is available at Discount Tire Direct.

Ken,
Do you find it an issue to show up at a tire retailer with your own tires asking them to mount and balance them?
Thanks,
Morgan

Do you find it an issue to show up at a tire retailer with your own tires asking them to mount and balance them?
I would call ahead, rather than just showing up. Some tire retailers are happy to mount and balance tires purchased elsewhere; others prefer not to. You can call ahead to ask. Typical charges for mounting and balancing tires purchased elsewhere are $15-30 per tire. One of the places that is usually happy to mount and balance tires purchased elsewhere is Walmart.

I should also mention that some places are a lot more careful and better about not damaging rims, so you may want to be selective about where you take tires to be mounted on NSX rims.

I would call ahead, rather than just showing up. Some tire retailers are happy to mount and balance tires purchased elsewhere; others prefer not to. You can call ahead to ask. Typical charges for mounting and balancing tires purchased elsewhere are $15-30 per tire. One of the places that is usually happy to mount and balance tires purchased elsewhere is Walmart.

I should also mention that some places are a lot more careful and better about not damaging rims, so you may want to be selective about where you take tires to be mounted on NSX rims.

I meant to ask if retailers get annoyed asking you to mount tires you did not buy from them. Sort of like going to Denny's with your own eggs and coffee grounds. But, since TireRack has figured that issue out in advance, I found the experience to be decent.

After TireRack drop-shipped my tires to the local Firestone, I dropped off my rims and they mounted and balanced them. It seems TireRack has an agreement with them for a fixed price to do the work. Not too shabby.

Now, I have Kumho Ecstas at all four corners of...wait for it...my garage. My car is in storage so I had the tires mounted and balanced but will need to wait until the snow and salt go away before they see any action on the silver beauty.

Thanks for the advice, Ken.

Last edited:
Back