• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is the NSX a good used car anymore?

Lotus offers some really nice track cars for relatively cheap (unless you start looking at Exige). These are precise, light, fast, and mid (or rear) engined... I'd get that given the costs of tracking an NSX.

I was making essentially the same decision a year back and opted for the NSX - in the full knowledge I would be cautiously running 7/10s or less in beginner and intermediate groups only, tracking it only about 5-6 times a year, and not modifying the car in any way.

I've come to terms with the fact that I will almost certainly never be the fastest on the track, but I'm still having more fun in the NSX. I've also driven a 2006 Cayman S, and while probably more capable as a track tool, it felt a bit antiseptic - it didn't rustle my jimmies the way the NSX does. I'd trade a second or two on my laps for the "X-Factor" behind the wheel of the NSX ... and that also means I also don't have to drive a Porsche as my weekend car (with apologies to Porsche owners, I'm not into the country club/dentist/rich housewife vibe).

Has he considered an S2000?
You may want to check with the track event organizers in your area before getting an S2000 (or any other convertible) with the intention of tracking it. Some track events allow convertibles without restrictions, others require a full roll cage, and still others don't allow convertibles under any circumstances.

As an NSX owner for a little over a month, I have to agree that a 10-15 year old NSX will DEFINITELY get you the thumbs ups and admiration as evidenced by what I experienced Friday night. I don't really know much about the Cayman to comment on it and have always been an M fan as well. Has your friend considered an E36? When I saw the new promotional video for the M4, I was somewhat thinking maybe there might be one (E36) in my future should I feel the need to ever scratch the track itch.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GbhHoVU8RGo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm going to add a little love for the S2000, especially since your friend is a Honda devote. With his budget he could pick up a nice S2000CR. A couple not far from here takes their CRs (they each have one) to autocrosses all over this region and absolutely dominates their class, often also taking best time of the day honors to boot.

If that weekend driving needs to be top-down but with a soft-top just in case, a regular AP2 S2000 could be just the ticket. And the extra cash would allow your friend to put in a very high end suspension.

I'm going to add a little love for the S2000, especially since your friend is a Honda devote. With his budget he could pick up a nice S2000CR. A couple not far from here takes their CRs (they each have one) to autocrosses all over this region and absolutely dominates their class, often also taking best time of the day honors to boot.

If that weekend driving needs to be top-down but with a soft-top just in case, a regular AP2 S2000 could be just the ticket. And the extra cash would allow your friend to put in a very high end suspension.

I'm in agreement with this. You could pick up a decent mileage AP2 S2000 for less than 20k. Add in the price of a nice roll hoop and a good suspension upgrade, you're in the neighborhood of 20-23k and you've got a great weekend racer with tons of cash to spare. 50/50 weight distribution, front mid-engine rear wheel drive, good power to weight ratio, and it'll still get you some thumbs up over the weekend.

Dave. When I first joined prime you told me to wear Capri pants and drive my car.

**Edit:
you told me not to wear capri pants and drive my car

nevermind

Last edited:
Dave. When I first joined prime you told me to wear Capri pants and drive my car.

**Edit:
you told me not to wear capri pants and drive my car

nevermind

LOL... did I? I have no recollection of this but that was good advice :biggrin:

I've had both.... if you're going to spend all your time trashing it on the track.. go ruin a Porsche. If you're going to drive the car reasonably on the track, and use it a bit on the street also... BUY THE NSX!!!! Every time you drive it is "an event"... you cannot even slow down somewhere, much less stop... without tons of attention (which in my book.. is reason #1 to own)

my .02

Back