• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thinking dangerous thoughts; VIN jh4na115xmt000805

Greetings folks, here we go, gonna put on a flame suit and set off.
There's a black 91 for sale in VA (near washington DC) with the VIN jh4na115xmt000805
It hit a pole, according to the records, and has been totalled out since late 2007 (I actually found a for sale thread for it when it wasn't smashed up from April 2007, with only 2k less miles.. shame.)

Not sure if the link is still active, but this is it;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-1991-Acura-NSX-/221532540158?nma=true&si=lFpsz%252BzAtQD1ZrDDims9v8WnWCc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

From what I've gathered in only the pictures It looks like from the strut tower back is 'ok-ish' (meaning not horrible mangled) but the pole wreaked havoc about 1' forward from the strut tower, and for about 10" forward past that point. It's questionable at best from the photos, mainly because I see the headlight bucket has been pushed so far in, the radiator's driver's side support is bent, and the windshield broke (but supposedly wasn't tweaked enough to prevent installing a new one?).

I'm looking at this thing for a project, not a turnkey 'just slap a few parts on and it's good' kind of thing. I'm willing to dig deep, cut out what's bad, TIG in what needs to be replaced, etc. I've done as much comparing as I could between pics of naked NSX fronts and the pics of this wreck and now I turn to you folks who know these much more than I.

I'm sure the overwhelming response will be 'don't freaking touch it', 'the frame is impossible to straighten', 'it's a 50k repair at a bodyshop', etc.. but I'm kind of the hairbrained guy who's willing to take on stupid things like this to save a nice car. So has anyone on here been witness to a structural repair such as this one needs? Has anyone dove into chassis repair on the NSX here? Heck.. has anyone built up a full front tube frame? (It's an option!). On that same note are there any go-to guys on here for buying chassis bits from other totaled NSXs (like the damaged area in front of the strut tower, radiator support, etc)?

My plan right now is to simply gather info. The last week of September I'm going on a vacation to Virginia Beach, and if this car is still around I'm planning to go have a peek. The 13k he wanted isn't happening, but I'm kicking around a less crazy price if it looks like a project/headache I'm willing to to take on (that way if the whole thing goes south I can part it out and all I'll have lost is time and a bit of money). Since it's been toasted since 2007 and cash in hand speaks I might be able to snap it up for a decent price. I just drool over the thought of bringing the darn thing back to life and getting to drive an NSX I raised with my own 2 hands (and tools). Of course there's always the issue then of selling it, since it's salvage, but I realize that.

The other option is to keep biding my time and wait for 2016 to hit to import a 1991 RHD from Japan.. it'd be a less personal experience, but also might keep my sanity.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Without ever seeing it, and, like you, without having the expertise to repair it, I am quite confident in making two statements:

1. It can be repaired properly.
2. It will require way, WAY more time and expense to buy it and repair it properly, than it will be worth afterwards.

If you want to take this project on as a way of learning about rebuilding cars (and learning why no one knowledgeable has taken this project car on before you), and you think you would enjoy the time you spend on it, by all means go for it. If you want to take this project on as a way of getting into an NSX for less money than simply buying a used one that hasn't been wrecked, you're going to find yourself sadly mistaken.

It's a certificate of destruction, a junk title, he's saying it's rebuildable, which it is, but cannot be put back on the road legally. Worth fixing if can be bought in single digits, but you'll never have a good legal title. I used to do this for a living, very misleading statements he uses.

Lots of good info guys! I paged through one of Macninja's rebuild threads and it was already a wealth of info. Can't wait to check out some more!

It's a certificate of destruction, a junk title, he's saying it's rebuildable, which it is, but cannot be put back on the road legally. Worth fixing if can be bought in single digits, but you'll never have a good legal title. I used to do this for a living, very misleading statements he uses.

I've never dealt with a 'certificate of destruction' title before, sounds like this is different than a salvage title from what I'm reading (specifically salvage -> cert of destruction)? Because if being titled as a 'certificate of destruction' means that VIN can no longer ever hold a valid title in the US means that idea is sunk 100%. Rebuilding a car is one thing... dealing with uncle sam and his flaming hoops is another bridge I don't dare to even consider, def not worth it. Appreciate the heads up on that one.

Last edited:

There is a member here who bought a similarly titled NSX that was a flood car. It had a history of being flatbedded up to New Hampshire where because of its age it didn't need a title in New Hampshire. He bought it and brought it to his state of Mass where he was able to obtain a good title for it! Amazing how you can hide the history of a car like that.

I just went through this (for the past 18 months).
It is not for the faint of heart. I located a front clip (they seem to be getting RARER) and all the necessary components before I started the work.
Shawn is a wealth of knowledge.

COD means you cant register the car for road use EVER, in the state it was COD's in.

( example )If Florida says its a COD they will not let you register it again ever in FL, but if you buy it from FL and you live in another state then they will let you register it in your state.
You need to check with your DMV because its different in every state because lawmakers come up with this stuff while sitting on the toilet smoking rock LOL some of the rules are so off this world it makes you think could you ever find an island to live on alone LOL.

COD means you cant register the car for road use EVER, in the state it was COD's in.

( example )If Florida says its a COD they will not let you register it again ever in FL, but if you buy it from FL and you live in another state then they will let you register it in your state.
You need to check with your DMV because its different in every state because lawmakers come up with this stuff while sitting on the toilet smoking rock LOL some of the rules are so off this world it makes you think could you ever find an island to live on alone LOL.

My concern is that as with the thread that I linked, apparently a flood car can go from COD in Florida, go through New Hampshire where you don't need a title for cars over 15 years old and then register it in Massachusetts with CLEAN TITLE :eek:

That Mass owner can now "legitimately" advertise the car as having a clean title since it does have one in Mass but the history of the car shows it being given a COD in Florida because of flooding.

That just ain't right.........

I know like I said whom ever made these rules where on some good shiZt and where can we buy some or is it covered under your insurance LOL

My concern is that as with the thread that I linked, apparently a flood car can go from COD in Florida, go through New Hampshire where you don't need a title for cars over 15 years old and then register it in Massachusetts with CLEAN TITLE :eek:

That Mass owner can now "legitimately" advertise the car as having a clean title since it does have one in Mass but the history of the car shows it being given a COD in Florida because of flooding.

That just ain't right.........

at least the VIN and car history are documented in this thread for future buyers who do their homework...

As a fellow Hairbrained person; here is a question I've always wondered.

I would think with our "frame"/ Tub that there is a lower limit in damage that can be fixed and an upper limit that can't.

Is the issue that if the tub is so damaged that no amount of tweaking, pulling straightening will get all the points where the upper and lower wishbones attach closed enough [to where they are supposed to be] to align the car?

Last edited:
Out of all the knowledge I have gained thus far.. harebrained may be the most useful. :wink:
Honestly never knew, though. Hum

TomCat (or whomever else, for that matter) where did you end up finding the clip? Fellow users on here or is it something scouring ebay/craigslist is good for? I'll do a bit more research on the COD titles in WI, but it's still sounding shady.

Clip

Out of all the knowledge I have gained thus far.. harebrained may be the most useful. :wink:
Honestly never knew, though. Hum

TomCat (or whomever else, for that matter) where did you end up finding the clip? Fellow users on here or is it something scouring ebay/craigslist is good for? I'll do a bit more research on the COD titles in WI, but it's still sounding shady.

I got a "full cut" clip with (essentially) all the skin from AH Parts Dismantlers, Rancho Cordova, CA...after a 2 month search mainly using all the avenues above...but I believe it was actually Shawn who helped me with some of the details the most.

As a "civilian" without a business license, its a little difficult to compete with professionals and shops that have connections (and open accounts with many dismantlers) and "buy requests" already on file for certain rare parts.

It's way shady, probably bought it out of copart for 6-7k. If you want project, start with something like the one on autobidmaster, needs a bunch of panels but not too much structural, parts should be easy enough to find or go wide body. The only way to get a title for the one you're looking at is state jumping (may not work) or lien it at a shop, but a buddy of mine got bagged for that on a few counts...this ones not worth the headache when a rebuilt title one just sold on eBay for 14k.

I have never seen an NSX go for less than 20K at copart they even hold their value when wrecked LOL

I have never seen an NSX go for less than 20K at copart they even hold their value when wrecked LOL

Hahaha yea they've been climbing. I bought a black auto off there in 2008/09 with the roof tore off by driving under a tractor trailer or similar height item for $5-6k. I may have even tried to sell it in here at there time...I think that's how I learned auto and manuals have different motors.

The only way I was able to I rebuild mine is that I got the "remains" from the insurance company at such a good price, I could have parted it out and well over doubled (probably tripled) my money...so this was my back-up plan.

I would say I got 80% of the my car from the insurance company for 15% of the total value...BUT the remaining 20% (to make the car whole) cost me 400% more than I paid for the salvaged car.

Back