• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Availability of Parts

Hi, I’m a newbie on this board. I’m contemplating buying a mid ninetiesNSX. My only concern is the availabilityof OEM and/or aftermarket parts. IsAcura still stocking parts and is there any indication when parts maybe hard tocome by? Thanks in advance.

Most parts aren't stocked at local dealerships but the common parts are usually at the main warehouse in California. From what I have been told, for parts not discontinued: If an order is placed, and the part is not in stock, then Japan makes the part and ships it to the US. The lead time can be a few weeks to maybe 6 weeks. I have had a few parts made this way. The more common your part is is, the more likely you won't have to wait long for whatever it is you order.

Last edited:
Certain parts have been discontinued. In many cases you can substitute parts which function fine, but are cosmetically different - for example, I believe you can no longer order sun visors color-matched for the ivory interior, or the '91-96 thinner chin spoiler, but you can still get the black and thicker versions respectively. There may be other parts, such as body parts, which are no longer available, but which you may (or may not) be able to find at a junkyard (such as those listed on car-part.com).

For the most part all parts are still available for nearly all NSX, (or at least we have/make them or can source them:wink:)
But cars with a Ivory interior are very tricking as those parts aren't available, nether for late model cars with blue & white interiors i recall.

Generally the parts specific to "first series" (aka 1990-1993) cars can be tricky to get a hold of new.
And parts specific to rare models like a 92-95 NSX-R are nearly impossible.

Yet normal maintenance and repair is not a problem even if a dealer says they can't for example get 90-92 AC parts, we generally can get the correct OEM parts.
It can be a bit of a work in sourcing for example overhaul/restoration parts for a 1991 but the certainly are available.

Certain items like for example a steering rack adjustment nut can take a while to get a hold off, so you need to factor in that you order certain items beforehand.
We often have customers in with a issue then ordering certain items when the car is already down, or disassembled for maintenance.

Last edited:
Can you say which parts retailer provides this as an option?
Jhae is almost certainly referring to the stock parts that you buy at any Acura dealer. And I'm sure it's not an "option"; there are some parts that they will do another manufacturing run on when they are out of stock, and others that are permanently discontinued.

Also - I found some parts listed as "not available" on US sites are still available from Honda in Japan.
I got a 94 drivers side tan visor from Japan - listed as not available in US (I never actually asked the dealers if they could get it though).
There are Primers abroad that can help you - I have bought a few parts that way.

Good luck

PS - Buy an NSX - such a fun car to drive - you get thumbs up from people every time you drive it.

The idea of cultivating a source(s) in Japan for future parts needs is intriguing, has anyone done so? I would be interested since parts availability will only get harder over time.

Albert86, how did your experience purchasing through a Japanese contact go?

Also - I found some parts listed as "not available" on US sites are still available from Honda in Japan.
I got a 94 drivers side tan visor from Japan - listed as not available in US
That part is probably different from the U.S. part. IIRC the US right (passenger) side sun visor has a small vanity mirror in it; the left (drivers side) does not. The Japanese part would presumably be reversed, with the vanity mirror on the left (passenger) side visor. So this is not an example of the same part being available in Japan but not in the US.

I recently spoke to a gentleman (Paul) who retired from the Honda/Acura Parts division in California after 27 years. He said the first parts to be discontinued are the interior parts on the rare colored interiors like ivory, orange, blue, yellow, red and silver. Paul said once these pieces are discontinued, the default color for the parts is black or tan. He suggested that if you have the 2002+ colored interiors, that you get the parts that will show wear over time while they maybe available. For example, my interior is orange and maybe only 41 cars in the world have that interior. (the Type S has orange inserts on the seats and doors that are a brighter orange and black carpets and the NSX-T came in Black and Tan ineriors only outside of N. America unless special ordered.) I recently purchased the carpet and the door speaker covers as these are vulnerable to wear and tear. The speaker covers, while very durable, can be easily kicked when getting out of the car and could tear. Some parts like the colored trim around the door sills is already discontinued and not available. And if you own a pre-2002 with the passinger airbag, you can no longer get the OEM dash with the black stitching to match your doors. You will get the silver stitching that is on the 2002+ cars. When I owned my 91 red/ivory, most all of the ivory interior pieces were gone including floor mats and carpet. There are aftermarket companies out there that can produce the leather parts for our cars but molded carpets and plastic pieces will become rarer over time. Mechanically, Most parts are still availible and those that are not should have some aftermarket replacement. To the OP, you are looking at earlier NSXs, the production numbers are higher in those years and used parts are still available through scavingers like Shawn 110975 at reasonable prices. So go get that NSX and good luck in your search.

Last edited:
The one part that comes to mind is the throttle cable for the early cars. I have heard they are no longer available and have read a couple threads of them failing.

while i generally prefer oem parts,there are also some people who are making aftermarket parts that are as good or better then oem.for example,i got some great hi-flow cats from angus (wil) when one of mine went bad.the parts were available at the dealer,but for $3300 a pair.angus' were much cheaper,very well made,and give you a few extra horsepower

I recently spoke to a gentleman (Paul) who retired from the Honda/Acura Parts division in California after 27 years. He said the first parts to be discontinued are the interior parts on the rare colored interiors like ivory, orange, blue, yellow, red and silver. Paul said once these pieces are discontinued, the default color for the parts is black or tan. He suggested that if you have the 2002+ colored interiors, that you get the parts that will show wear over time while they maybe available. For example, my interior is orange and maybe only 41 cars in the world have that interior. (the Type S has orange inserts on the seats and doors that are a brighter orange and black carpets and the NSX-T came in Black and Tan ineriors only outside of N. America unless special ordered.) I recently purchased the carpet and the door speaker covers as these are vulnerable to wear and tear. The speaker covers, while very durable, can be easily kicked when getting out of the car and could tear. Some parts like the colored trim around the door sills is already discontinued and not available. And if you own a pre-2002 with the passinger airbag, you can no longer get the OEM dash with the black stitching to match your doors. You will get the silver stitching that is on the 2002+ cars. When I owned my 91 red/ivory, most all of the ivory interior pieces were gone including floor mats and carpet. There are aftermarket companies out there that can produce the leather parts for our cars but molded carpets and plastic pieces will become rarer over time. Mechanically, Most parts are still availible and those that are not should have some aftermarket replacement. To the OP, you are looking at earlier NSXs, the production numbers are higher in those years and used parts are still available through scavingers like Shawn 110975 at reasonable prices. So go get that NSX and good luck in your search.

Ed, I'm going to show your post to my wife. Just to justify my impending parts order. :biggrin:

Lmao. Anything to help brother.

I bought my parts from a Primer who is working as a contractor in Japan (misojdm).
He was a great guy to work with and I got the parts I needed.
He had a nice shipping arrangement so that was a big plus too.

I jumped on the AS Motorsport thottle cable - sitting on the shelf for now - but I have it if I need it.

I also grabbed a used set of coil packs for my 94 off Ebay (OK price) - just in case.

I wish there was a source for the little rubber wipes/seals under the door and B pillar garnish, seems like you have to buy the whole $$$ aluminum piece for a $10 strip of rubber. Mine were damaged by the DAPO during a low end respray job. Anyone found a reasonable replacement piece? I'm tempted the try and get the guy who make reproduction rubber trim for the 914 to make up a set of dies, but the market for the NSX is probably too small to bother with, since most of cars haven't advanced to 'restoration' phase yet.....

the market for the NSX is probably too small to bother with, since most of cars haven't advanced to 'restoration' phase yet.....

Oh, but they will. And then there will be demand. And we as a community will get to work together to find solutions for keeping these cars pristine and on the road long after Honda has completely given up on the same :smile:

Back