• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

iphone 6

I'm excited to get the new phone. I've had my iPhone 4 for about 3 years now and the self facing camera has been broken on it for 2 years when I dropped it. LOL.

I think the only thing on that list that MOST people will care about is the screen size.

I just read Verizon will give you an iPhone 6 for free of you trade in an old iPhone including the 4 if you sign for another 2 year contract. Pretty sweet.

Also both walmart and SAMs are selling the phones for less than $199.

As far as I recall those type of offers have never existed before at an apple product launch.

I also heard about that offer by Verizon, then it got taken down. You have to turn in your old device, and sign a 2 year contract, no thanks. Not only that, but it is more expensive than my T-Mobile plan, and they nickel and dime you to death if you go over your allotted data. Did you know their largest data plan is like $750/month? With T-Mobile, true unlimited everything is $80.

I think Verizon jumped the gun in response to T-Mobile's Uncarrier 7.0 announcement today. EVERY new smartphone on T-Mobile will have WiFi calling and VoLTE with handoff, free texting in airlines thru GoGo, on top of free music streaming and all the other perks they have previously announced. T-Mobile is offering a free wifi router with a $25 deposit if you have poor service at home.

If you have unlimited data plan from ATT and get an iphone6, can you still keep the plan?

I haven't renewed with AT&T since I got the iPhone 5 on release, but they have always let me keep the unlimited data plan I had, as long as you sign a new 2 year contract. You can also purchase the iPhone at full price, unlocked and all you have to do is switch SIM cards and you're golden.

Did you guys download the templates for the 6 and 6+. The 6+ is HUGE. The 6 might be the best sized phone on the market.

6+
15cbae81240f1089fe59470dba7e0e6b.jpg

that's a big bi$ch ...I mean phone....:tongue:

Did you guys download the templates for the 6 and 6+. The 6+ is HUGE. The 6 might be the best sized phone on the market.

I printed out the template. It IS huge! lol. I'm still getting it, BETTER battery life, OIS, and that huge screen is perfect for GPS.

Attachments

• Android_before_after_iphone.jpg
    Android_before_after_iphone.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 239
I'm excited to get the new phone. I've had my iPhone 4 for about 3 years now and the self facing camera has been broken on it for 2 years when I dropped it. LOL.

Ditto. Only instead of breaking the camera I scratched the face of mine. It is now out of space and feeling really slow, so I ordered a 6+. Should be interesting to see how I like the new size.

I ordered the 6+ 128. I can sell my 5s on ebay for somewhere between $400 and $500.00.

In my business my phone is my life. The larger screen will help me when I am reading important business journals and quite frankly, my eyes are starting
to blur. This is a business investment. Money spent is money earned.

Let's be honest, at this point they are all just pretty much copying eachother.

I don't think we'll see anything new and groundbreaking like the iPhone in 2007 for a while. Maybe another 5 years or more?

I don't think we'll see anything new and groundbreaking like the iPhone in 2007 for a while. Maybe another 5 years or more?

You are probably right. I'm hoping for big improvements in battery over the next few years.

Let's be honest, at this point they are all just pretty much copying each other.

No, the way it pretty much goes is that Apple does the initial breakthrough work and then numerous copycats do incremental improvements. If you look at phones, tablets, there's a clear point of demarcation when Apple set the standards. Before the iPhone/iPad phones and tablets looked and performed a certain way. After iPhone/iPad came out they all copied the look. Of course, then it was obvious after the fact and the copy cats would cry that the design was obvious, etc...

Same thing with Mac OS and Windows.

http://www.redmondpie.com/tablets-and-smartphones-before-and-after-the-iphone-and-ipad-images/

- - - Updated - - -

And here's Android!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FJHYqE0RDg

Of course, the day after Jobs' keynote showing the new iPhone, they completely scrapped what they were doing after two hard years of R&D in order to copy Apple's work.

Attachments

• before and after apple.jpg
    before and after apple.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 190
I'm as big a fan of apple as anyone, but wasn't mac ui a copy,of what jobs saw on a visit to xerox

Not really. If you look at the UI of the Alto there are only a few basic concepts that were used. Put another way, today the average person wouldn't know how to use an Alto without some training. But I bet anyone today could sit down at the Apple Lisa (the first GUI computer Apple offered) and see that it behaves pretty much like today's Mac or Windows computers.

Bit-mapped screen, icons and windows were the only things really in common between the Alto and Lisa. Apple did a lot to craft a unique experience with one mouse button and more interaction. Alto used a lot of keyboard commands too. Apple made huge advances in simplifying and condensing their implementation. The Lisa and Mac were far, far removed from Alto.

Furthermore, Apple had already did a lot of their GUI prior to the famous Xerox visit. But when Jobs, Atkinson, etc went to Xerox they did see a number of things that got their creative juices flowing and it confirmed a lot of their initial ideas. Larry Tesler of Xerox said that Jobs and crew knew and appreciated much more what PARC had accomplished compared to Xerox's upper management.

And no, Apple didn't steal anything from Xerox. Apple was so hot at that time and was pre-IPO. Jobs made a deal with Xerox allowing them to invest in Apple for a song and Xerox was well compensated.

Last edited:
Well I have an iPhone 4 so I think I will upgrade. I will decide on the 6 or 6+ when I look at them.

No, the way it pretty much goes is that Apple does the initial breakthrough work and then numerous copycats do incremental improvements. If you look at phones, tablets, there's a clear point of demarcation when Apple set the standards. Before the iPhone/iPad phones and tablets looked and performed a certain way. After iPhone/iPad came out they all copied the look. Of course, then it was obvious after the fact and the copy cats would cry that the design was obvious, etc...

Same thing with Mac OS and Windows.

http://www.redmondpie.com/tablets-and-smartphones-before-and-after-the-iphone-and-ipad-images/

- - - Updated - - -

And here's Android!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FJHYqE0RDg

Of course, the day after Jobs' keynote showing the new iPhone, they completely scrapped what they were doing after two hard years of R&D in order to copy Apple's work.

I'm talking about the last few years, not the last 20. Apple has been stealing features from android and vice versa.

I'm talking about the last few years, not the last 20. Apple has been stealing features from android and vice versa.

I am not talking solely about the last 20 years. Just in the last 7 years since the iPhone came out. Compared to the initial concept and paradigm the "stealing" in either direction has been small potatoes. It is a LOT harder to break new ground with a revolutionary product and to get it largely correct out of the gate. Apple has done this several times. To make incremental changes after-the-fact is meh.

And yes, Apple has done this many times over in their history. They're the ones who took the risk with the big leaps. That others came along afterwards and made incremental improvements is not all that impressive to me. Today's Windows computers look like they had a Macintosh ancestor instead of a Alto, or DOS.

Last edited:
I am not talking solely about the last 20 years. Just in the last 7 years since the iPhone came out. Compared to the initial concept and paradigm the "stealing" in either direction has been small potatoes. It is a LOT harder to break new ground with a revolutionary product and to get it largely correct out of the gate. Apple has done this several times. To make incremental changes after-the-fact is meh.

And yes, Apple has done this many times over in their history. They're the ones who took the risk with the big leaps. That others came along afterwards and made incremental improvements is not all that impressive to me. Today's Windows computers look like they had a Macintosh ancestor instead of a Alto, or DOS.

We will just agree to disagree.

In other news, apple has locked NFC on the iPhone 6 for just apple pay. I don't use NFC much, but some people (developers) might not be pleased about that.

Well I have an iPhone 4 so I think I will upgrade. I will decide on the 6 or 6+ when I look at them.

If you plan on needing a 6+ within the month, you had better line up on launch day at 8AM or earlier. They are all sold out of preorders, and I expect those initial allocations to stores to be sold out within hours as well.

I'm sure there will be plenty on flea bay for 1,000.00 or more:rolleyes:

If you plan on needing a 6+ within the month, you had better line up on launch day at 8AM or earlier. They are all sold out of preorders, and I expect those initial allocations to stores to be sold out within hours as well.

I couldn't order from T-Mob on Friday, and by the time their preorders were up, ship dates had slipped. Apple store was down, and the Apple store app didn't have the T-Mob iPhone as an option. Gonna have to get up early on Friday to cue up in line at my local T-Mob store couple blocks away from me. iPhone 6 Plus, 64gb, Space Gray.

We will just agree to disagree.

In other news, apple has locked NFC on the iPhone 6 for just apple pay. I don't use NFC much, but some people (developers) might not be pleased about that.

If they follow the pattern of Touch ID, they'll keep it locked down for a year and let it mature a bit, then open it up next year at WWDC. Similar to how Touch ID got a public API for iOS 8.

Back