• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

iphone 6

If they follow the pattern of Touch ID, they'll keep it locked down for a year and let it mature a bit, then open it up next year at WWDC. Similar to how Touch ID got a public API for iOS 8.

I would agree if NFC were new, but its not. I don't know NFC is maturing much anymore.

I'm waiting for the iPhone 26+. The GPS will be great. It'll feel like you are driving on the map.

I would agree if NFC were new, but its not. I don't know NFC is maturing much anymore.

True. But the mp3 player was not new when Apple got in the game with the first iPod. Same could be said about what the iPhone did for the smartphone. Apple may not always be the first to introduce new technologies but they do have a way with revolutionizing it. That's why some smartwatch rivals actually want Apple Watch to succeed. Whether the same could be said about NFC, we'll just have to see.

BTW, I'm not an Apple fanboi, just a fan of technology :smile:

True. But the mp3 player was not new when Apple got in the game with the first iPod. Same could be said about what the iPhone did for the smartphone. Apple may not always be the first to introduce new technologies but they do have a way with revolutionizing it. That's why some smartwatch rivals actually want Apple Watch to succeed. Whether the same could be said about NFC, we'll just have to see.

BTW, I'm not an Apple fanboi, just a fan of technology :smile:

I think he meant Apple Pay to mature and it's use become widespread, not NFC itself, that's already been out there for a while, but the practice of using it is not as widespread. I think Apple wants Apple Pay to be the sole payment system on iOS for now, once it has established itself, then it would open up NFC for other uses. At least that's what I got from what he said.

um.. duh?

I've seen countless of people, mostly women, that crack their screens, bend/break their phones for sitting on them while they have the phone in their back pocket.

The phone bent in his front pocket. Not from sitting on it.

I agree though if you sit on it, you are in for trouble regardless of the phone.

Last edited:
Could this be the new "whatever-gate"?!

Guess those people with skinny jeans better be more careful. I wear skinny jeans ever so often at music festivals, but not too skinny to damage my phone, which I just went and bought today actually. iPhone 6 64gb Space Gray. I'll have to test fit my phone and jeans later tonight.

Could this be the new "whatever-gate"?!

Guess those people with skinny jeans better be more careful. I wear skinny jeans ever so often at music festivals, but not too skinny to damage my phone, which I just went and bought today actually. iPhone 6 64gb Space Gray. I'll have to test fit my phone and jeans later tonight.

You were able to just walk in and get one? We are on a 2 week waiting list through Verizon for a 64g silver.

You were able to just walk in and get one? We are on a 2 week waiting list through Verizon for a 64g silver.

I had actually preordered the 6 Plus, but due to some glitch in their system, my order was never processed even though it still showed up as ordered on my account up until today. I have been checking all T-Mobile and Apple stores in my area every day with no luck. Apple stores had very few if any TMobile iPhones and quickly sold out. My sister has a friend that works at TMobile and notified her earlier today that they got a shipment of iPhones this morning. She set one aside for me.

Several things about bendy iPhone 6s here. I think there are several factors at work:

First, the phones are quite frankly just too fucking big. Whereas an iPhone 4/4s would sit mostly vertically in one's pocket, the 6 and especially the 6+ sit rather diagonally in most pockets because they are so big they fill the pouch. This makes them susceptible to torsional force across one's thigh, especially when seated and when the pants they're in force them to conform to the curve of someone's upper leg. This is consistent with the fact that this was never a serious problem with the iPhone 4/4s, but was a rare problem with the 5/5s/5c, an apparently more common problem with the 6 but definitely more prevalent in the 6+. The bigger the phone, the more bend. This problem has been reported with similarly sized phones actually ~ HTCs and Samsungs are also susceptible to this issue, but the iPhone 6/6+ gets more attention because ...

Secondly, the iPhone 6/6+ have this sleek design where the sides of the phones are one piece with the back of the phone. This is great visually, but lacks the rigidity of the older iPhone designs where the sides of the phone were structurally perpendicular and separate from the front/rear faces. This makes the phone significantly weaker along its length. Again, the problem also exists with devices with a similar design, such as the iPad, Nexus 7 tablet, etc.

I know it's a reach, but my not-so-secret hope is that the stupidly inflated sizes of phones are finally seen as a liability. All I want is a small form factor premium phone. If there was a device with the same capabilities of the current generation of premium phones but in a smaller phone size, I'd be all over it happily paying full price.

- - - Updated - - -

In related news:

JY1yUWy.jpg

Last edited:
All I want is a small form factor premium phone. If there was a device with the same capabilities of the current generation of premium phones but in a smaller phone size, I'd be all over it happily paying full price.

Join the darkside with a windows phone. There are plenty of small form factor windows phones.

I know it's a reach, but my not-so-secret hope is that the stupidly inflated sizes of phones are finally seen as a liability. All I want is a small form factor premium phone. If there was a device with the same capabilities of the current generation of premium phones but in a smaller phone size, I'd be all over it happily paying full price.

After less than a week with the iPhone 6, I agree. If they had a premium offering (with A8 chip and upgraded camera) in the iphone 5 size, I would be looking to trade mine in.

Went to best buy store to look at the iPhone 6 demo before ordering. Surprised that it was bigger than I thought. Don't like the round edge either. Decided to keep my 4 for now. Maybe trade in for the 5, but the 6 is out of the picture. Might have to consider android or window phone if I upgrade.

Went to best buy store to look at the iPhone 6 demo before ordering. Surprised that it was bigger than I thought. Don't like the round edge either. Decided to keep my 4 for now. Maybe trade in for the 5, but the 6 is out of the picture. Might have to consider android or window phone if I upgrade.

Why not get the 5S? Why the 5? You get a retina display, better processor, better camera, TouchID, and it's the same size as the 5. What kind of logic is that?
Also, the 6 is only slightly physically bigger than the 5/S.

I'm content with my 4s until camera/MP is upgraded. The 6 needs more technology and I'm not impressed with the manufacturing of iphones 5,6,7,8,9,10 etc. if technology does not improve significantly between products.Aside from that, taking finger prints to unlock phone is just more information the govt and "others" have access to with all the info that is being stored and transmitted between individuals.People need to be more conscious of "whats what" and step outside of the matrix.

I'm content with my 4s until camera/MP is upgraded. The 6 needs more technology and I'm not impressed with the manufacturing of iphones 5,6,7,8,9,10 etc. if technology does not improve significantly between products.Aside from that, taking finger prints to unlock phone is just more information the govt and "others" have access to with all the info that is being stored and transmitted between individuals.People need to be more conscious of "whats what" and step outside of the matrix.

If you have a driver's license, the government already has your fingerprints.

If you have a driver's license, the government already has your fingerprints.
I served 10years in the army, so I'm sure they have more than that. But that does not mean I will offer,donate or submit any thing about myself and family to others beyond what's already known/documented to be used in anway other than I wish. It's called privacy. Open yourself up to the public and you will be taken advantage of. My identity has been stolen, 1st,middle,last name and ss. Everytime I'm I'm stopped, without my password, I'm going to jail. If you can make payments at wal-mart with your iphone/blue tooth/wireless, I'm sure there are plenty of crooks that know how to get or retain that info.Good luck buddy.

Last edited:
I served 10years in the army, so I'm sure they have more than that. But that does not mean I will offer,donate or submit any thing about myself and family to others beyond what's already known/documented to be used in anway other than I wish. It's called privacy. Open yourself up to the public and you will be taken advantage of. My identity has been stolen, 1st,middle,last name and ss. Everytime I'm I'm stopped, without my password, I'm going to jail. If you can make payments at wal-mart with your iphone/blue tooth/wireless, I'm sure there are plenty of crooks that know how to get or retain that info.Good luck buddy.

You DO know that using Pay and TouchID is OPTIONAL, don't you?

That's pretty funny since Android pretty much copied the iPhone. Look at Android before the iPhone...

In the early 1980s, the two Steves who had founded Apple Computer - Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak - drove over to a computer research center run by Xerox in Palo Alto, Calif. At "Xerox PARC," as the laboratory was called, a friend who worked at Xerox took them on a fateful tour.
The two Steves spotted an odd computer at PARC called the Star. Practically nobody remembers the Star these days, but the guys from Apple gave it a place in history. It made such an impression on them that they decided they had to make a computer of their own that worked the same way.
They borrowed the ideas of putting boxes on the screen, called windows, from the Star, and they also copied the way the Star showed little drawings of things on the screen. The little drawings, called "icons," did various operations when you moved a pointer over them.
The key to everything was a mouse - a device the size of a bar of soap that you rolled around on the desk beside the computer. Wherever the mouse went on the desk, the pointer went on the screen. When you clicked the button on the mouse, the computer went into action.
By now you know the rest of the story. The result of all of this was the Apple Macintosh. It made Apple rich and made IBM envious. But it had an even greater effect at Microsoft, the software company that IBM made famous when IBM picked Microsoft's DOS - MS-DOS - as the standard operating system for its PCs.
Microsoft set to work on a graphical user interface (or operating system) - a "GUI" of its own. The first version to become popular was called Windows 2. It was a poor imitation of the Mac's way of doing things. The came Windows 3, which was much better, but still not up to the level of the Mac.
And now there is Windows 3.1. It's Mac-like in many ways. And there's OS/2. It's Mac-like in many ways, too. And there's GeoWorks Pro. It's also Mac-like in many ways.
Yes, now you have a choice of three gooey (that's how "GUI" is pronounced) ways to use your PC. This means that 1992 could well be the year when most IBM-compatible users will consider switching from that old interface to the new one, mouse and all.
It also means the end of an era. As computers get easier to use, they are used more and more. And as they're used more and more, they become more like toasters and VCRs - essential appliances for many modern families. Even if you're a PC user, you can thank the two Steves for this revolution - and, of course, you should tip your hat to Xerox, which never made money off the Star.

Why not get the 5S? Why the 5? You get a retina display, better processor, better camera, TouchID, and it's the same size as the 5. What kind of logic is that?
Also, the 6 is only slightly physically bigger than the 5/S.

Yea I meant 5s. Too lazy to type S on my phone.

In the early 1980s, the two Steves who had founded Apple Computer - Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak - drove over to a computer research center run by Xerox in Palo Alto, Calif. At "Xerox PARC," as the laboratory was called, a friend who worked at Xerox took them on a fateful tour.
The two Steves spotted an odd computer at PARC called the Star. Practically nobody remembers the Star these days, but the guys from Apple gave it a place in history. It made such an impression on them that they decided they had to make a computer of their own that worked the same way.
They borrowed the ideas of putting boxes on the screen, called windows, from the Star, and they also copied the way the Star showed little drawings of things on the screen. The little drawings, called "icons," did various operations when you moved a pointer over them.
The key to everything was a mouse - a device the size of a bar of soap that you rolled around on the desk beside the computer. Wherever the mouse went on the desk, the pointer went on the screen. When you clicked the button on the mouse, the computer went into action.
By now you know the rest of the story. The result of all of this was the Apple Macintosh. It made Apple rich and made IBM envious. But it had an even greater effect at Microsoft, the software company that IBM made famous when IBM picked Microsoft's DOS - MS-DOS - as the standard operating system for its PCs.
Microsoft set to work on a graphical user interface (or operating system) - a "GUI" of its own. The first version to become popular was called Windows 2. It was a poor imitation of the Mac's way of doing things. The came Windows 3, which was much better, but still not up to the level of the Mac.
And now there is Windows 3.1. It's Mac-like in many ways. And there's OS/2. It's Mac-like in many ways, too. And there's GeoWorks Pro. It's also Mac-like in many ways.
Yes, now you have a choice of three gooey (that's how "GUI" is pronounced) ways to use your PC. This means that 1992 could well be the year when most IBM-compatible users will consider switching from that old interface to the new one, mouse and all.
It also means the end of an era. As computers get easier to use, they are used more and more. And as they're used more and more, they become more like toasters and VCRs - essential appliances for many modern families. Even if you're a PC user, you can thank the two Steves for this revolution - and, of course, you should tip your hat to Xerox, which never made money off the Star.

You fail to mention that Xerox gave Apple a tour and access to PARC and for a considerable amount of shares before Apple went public, Xerox pretty much gave away everything to Apple because the suits over at Xerox thought of it as a toy/gimmick, nothing of value.

People always bring up the argument that Apple stole from Xerox and that is false. They took what the folks at PARC had and improved on it.
What Microsoft did was straight up ripoff the Macintosh while Bill Gates was working with Apple.

That's pretty much the same thing Google did with Apple when Eric Schmidt was part of Apple board of directors. When Android first came out, it looked NOTHING like it does today. It looked more like a Blackberry clone. Of course, with insider info from Schmidt and after the iPhone was announced, Google went to copy room.

So you're incorrect that Xerox didn't make any money off of Star, as they were given a sizable chunk of shares before Apple went public.

What does this mean?

Back