• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

iphone 6

After less than a week with the iPhone 6, I agree. If they had a premium offering (with A8 chip and upgraded camera) in the iphone 5 size, I would be looking to trade mine in.

I'm a little surprised that apple didn't make 3 sizes for the iphone6. I know there are a lot of people happy with the size of the 5s. Apple basically forced people to go to a larger phone if they want a new iPhone. I agree that apple needed to offer a larger screen, but forcing a larger screen is not a good idea.

Android has every size available so it makes sense to have large and small phones because people can pick the size they want.

Personally I really like the size of the iphone6. The 6 plus is way too big.

You fail to mention that Xerox gave Apple a tour and access to PARC and for a considerable amount of shares before Apple went public, Xerox pretty much gave away everything to Apple because the suits over at Xerox thought of it as a toy/gimmick, nothing of value.

People always bring up the argument that Apple stole from Xerox and that is false. They took what the folks at PARC had and improved on it.
What Microsoft did was straight up ripoff the Macintosh while Bill Gates was working with Apple.

That's pretty much the same thing Google did with Apple when Eric Schmidt was part of Apple board of directors. When Android first came out, it looked NOTHING like it does today. It looked more like a Blackberry clone. Of course, with insider info from Schmidt and after the iPhone was announced, Google went to copy room.

So you're incorrect that Xerox didn't make any money off of Star, as they were given a sizable chunk of shares before Apple went public.

Thank you!!! That poor meme needs to be retired.

Secondly, the iPhone 6/6+ have this sleek design where the sides of the phones are one piece with the back of the phone. This is great visually, but lacks the rigidity of the older iPhone designs where the sides of the phone were structurally perpendicular and separate from the front/rear faces. This makes the phone significantly weaker along its length. Again, the problem also exists with devices with a similar design, such as the iPad, Nexus 7 tablet, etc.

Notice where they bend -- right at the cutout for the button, which creates a weak spot. Combined with the one-piece design you mentioned, they seem overly prone to bending in that spot based on videos I've seen. They should have added some internal bracing to compensate for the weakness created by the cutout.

If you have a driver's license, the government already has your fingerprints.

That's only the case in a handful of states. For now.

Notice where they bend -- right at the cutout for the button, which creates a weak spot. Combined with the one-piece design you mentioned, they seem overly prone to bending in that spot based on videos I've seen. They should have added some internal bracing to compensate for the weakness created by the cutout.That's only the case in a handful of states. For now.
If people treated them as media devices or PC devices instead of the outdated hand held, 1purpose phones, I think the issue of bending would not be that much of a issue. These are hand held computers that should be stored and maitained as such not treated like a set of keys thrown in your pocket and sat on.

If people treated them as media devices or PC devices instead of the outdated hand held, 1purpose phones, I think the issue of bending would not be that much of a issue. These are hand held computers that should be stored and maitained as such not treated like a set of keys thrown in your pocket and sat on.

So people shouldn't put the iphone6 in their pocket? What about every single other smartphone that has no problem going in a pocket?

If it's pocket size, that's common sense.Analogy, I can't see Shaq riding in a go-gart at anytime!Because it's titled phone, which no longer means rotary dial or has a chord does not mean that it should be treated as such, the dynamics are changing.Most people use it more for other purposes than talking. The term "phone" does not have "stick it in your pocket" attached to it.If you want a larger/6+ device, then buy something/case protection/storage to accommodate it. The media/news is so powerful.....wow.

If it's pocket size, that's common sense.Analogy, I can't see Shaq riding in a go-gart at anytime!Because it's titled phone, which no longer means rotary dial or has a chord does not mean that it should be treated as such, the dynamics are changing.Most people use it more for other purposes than talking. The term "phone" does not have "stick it in your pocket" attached to it.If you want a larger/6+ device, then buy something/case protection/storage to accommodate it. The media/news is so powerful.....wow.

I agree with that.

Great now we will get more aftermarket gadgets to hold our smart devices...btw back in my teens before anything digital I used to ski with an actual car cassette player and rechargeable battery in a neoprene backpack.Anyone remember the bone-phone?

`

So people shouldn't put the iphone6 in their pocket? What about every single other smartphone that has no problem going in a pocket?

Samsung Galaxy S4

P1020486.jpg

Sony Xperia Z1

sonyexperia.jpg

Lumia 925

lumia925.jpg

Blackberry Q10

blackberry.jpg

HTC EVO

broken-evo-1.jpg

Oppo

1384733368814.jpg

iPhone 4S

iphone4bent-640x360.jpg

Attachments

• sonyexperia.jpg
    sonyexperia.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 221
Great now we will get more aftermarket gadgets to hold our smart devices...btw back in my teens before anything digital I used to ski with an actual car cassette player and rechargeable battery in a neoprene backpack.Anyone remember the bone-phone?
Pics please..;?)

I agree with the need to realize these are mini-computers and not fancy rugged walkie talkies that can be casually handled. It's easy to forget that.

But the phone makers are equally unrealistic IMHO by continually focusing on looks ans industrial design and not so much on the overall design. Sure you hear about sapphire and gorilla glass now and then but it's still installed in a case that pushes the limits of thinness and tiny (or no) borders.

I hope for the day when aapl stops focusing so much on form over function and delivers a phone with "sturdiness features" as standard or optional, making it a gigantic 1/8" thicker and ungodly 4 oz heavier from some basic add'l protection to where I don't need a case. Think Sony sports-Walkman, or how it took forever for automakers to finally get it and offer plastic/rubber lined truck beds as standard. I and most everyone I know immediately cover up their fragile jewelry museum-piece iphone with a case that adds 1/8" in size and a few oz in weight but a hundred-fold more protection. Even if it prevents some of side swiping features, at least it adds protection that's an absolute necessity for those of us who keep our phone after Apple Care expires. My iphone 4 has lasted for 50+ months of pocket time & weekly drops since I covered it immediately after purchase with a boring case with thick borders/corners and a lip around the face.

Ami in the minority here? Do many of you prefer no case and/or expect to have your phone for only 2 years or less?

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised that apple didn't make 3 sizes for the iphone6. I know there are a lot of people happy with the size of the 5s. Apple basically forced people to go to a larger phone if they want a new iPhone. I agree that apple needed to offer a larger screen, but forcing a larger screen is not a good idea.

Android has every size available so it makes sense to have large and small phones because people can pick the size they want.

Personally I really like the size of the iphone6. The 6 plus is way too big.

That's what the iPhone 5 is for......it's a smaller version of the iPhone 6:tongue:

That's why I'm sticking with my 5......

This whole BendyGate is a joke fueled by AAPL stock shorters, Android fans who detest anything Apple and the media - who loves a good story where the leader gets bashed. Having said that...

I do think that the myopic focus on making phones thinner and thinner has reached a point of diminishing returns. If the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus where the same thickness as the 5, it would have been just fine with me. Particularly if they would have loaded up that extra space for an even larger battery. It would be nice to get 2 or 3 days while using the phone.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/09/consumer-reports-tests-iphone-6-bendgate/index.htm

Last edited:
This whole BendyGate is a joke fueled by AAPL stock shorters, Android fans who detest anything Apple and the media - who loves a good story where the leader gets bashed. Having said that...

I do think that the myopic focus on making phones thinner and thinner has reached a point of diminishing returns. If the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus where the same thickness as the 5, it would have been just fine with me. Particularly if they would have loaded up that extra space for an even larger battery. It would be nice to get 2 or 3 days while using the phone.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/09/consumer-reports-tests-iphone-6-bendgate/index.htm

I don't know anyone who complained the iPhone 5s being too thick, but I hear battery complaints all the time. I think you are exactly right. Little thicker and bigger battery would have been a Better combo. Plus a flush camera.

Well I started the thread and I still haven't ordered mine. I know I am getting one but I am on the fence regarding the 6 vs. 6+. I like my Samsung GS4 because it takes good pictures and battery life is great. The 6 doesn't have the battery power of the GS4 and it doesn't have the photo capabilities of the 6+. UGh...I guess I will just have to suck it up and get a 6+ even though I feel that it is just too big.

Another problem - I live in Redneck East Texas. We don't have any apple stores and when I try to order online it denies it because I am having my bill sent to a P.O. Box address. UGH!!

I think the 6 and 6 plus take the same quality of photo. Just the 6 doesn't have hardware for image stabilization. Not sure if they would matter to you or not.

The phone is huge, so be prepared for 2 handed use only.

Well I started the thread and I still haven't ordered mine. I know I am getting one but I am on the fence regarding the 6 vs. 6+. I like my Samsung GS4 because it takes good pictures and battery life is great. The 6 doesn't have the battery power of the GS4 and it doesn't have the photo capabilities of the 6+. UGh...I guess I will just have to suck it up and get a 6+ even though I feel that it is just too big.

Another problem - I live in Redneck East Texas. We don't have any apple stores and when I try to order online it denies it because I am having my bill sent to a P.O. Box address. UGH!!

I think the 6 and 6 plus take the same quality of photo. Just the 6 doesn't have hardware for image stabilization. Not sure if they would matter to you or not.

The phone is huge, so be prepared for 2 handed use only.

I agree, the cameras are the same other than the OIS of the 6+. I upgraded from an iPhone 5 to a 6, and difference is immediately noticeable when taking pics or video.

I took this with my 6 at a bar this weekend. No way could I take a pic like this with the 5, even though they're the "same megapixels".

IMG_3988.jpg

The 6+ IS huge. I wanted it at first, but since it was impossible to find a T-Mobile 6+, I went with the 6, and I'm happy with the size. I mostly wanted the 6+ for that battery life.
I went on a road trip up to San Francisco this weekend. I charged my phone and had a full battery when I went to bed Sat night/Sun morning at 4am. Went to bed, woke up around 8:30am, hit the road by 9am. The whole way home I was listening to music, playing games, and using maps for navigation. By the time I got home at 4pm, my battery was down to ~10%, so not bad at all.

Ami in the minority here? Do many of you prefer no case and/or expect to have your phone for only 2 years or less?

I prefer no case at all and like the phones to be as slim as possible for portability. For this same reason, I hate the larger size of the 6/6+, although everything else about the 6 I like so far in the week I've had the phone.

I have a lot of faith in my ability to take care of my phones; over the past three or so years of 4s/5/and now 6 ownership, I've dropped my phones a combined maybe five times ever, and my 5 dented only once. Before that my phones were completely flawless and never dropped at all and it just made me awful to trade in my phones when I upgraded only to have my perfect phones valued as the same as a POS water-damaged dented example. Because of this, I don't even feel bad anymore if I drop my phone as long as it remains functional. On one hand, I would rather have a phone with no case so I can enjoy its nice sleek design, but on the other hand I don't feel bad if it get dinged or damaged because that is the risk/cost of having a sexy phone go caseless.

*for reference, yes, my daily-driven (rain/snow/etc.) NSX also has no clear bra, because no matter how good the clear bra it is never as good-looking as the NSX's true finish*

However I also don't plan on keeping any phone longer than two years. The fact of the matter is that operating systems, software demands and user expectations are all increasing/improving so quickly that any device more than two or three years old will seriously struggle to keep up with ever increasing storage requirements, memory requirements, processing speeds, etc. My iPhone 5 is a great phone and still functional enough to keep in my car as a GPS unit, but there is no way it can keep up with the latest apps or hold all the pictures I am now taking with my iPhone 6's improved camera. Hell, I had to purge its storage just to make space for the iOS 8 upgrade. Two years is just about the usable expected life of today's devices.

I prefer bumpers or slim cases for my phones. I'm using the Incipio Feather Case with my iPhone 6.

IMG_6255 copy.jpgIMG_6257 copy.jpgIMG_6259 copy.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6255.jpg
    IMG_6255.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 100
We got the 6 today. I really like the size. I think you could easily get a 5" screen on there if they made the bezels smaller.

I pre-ordered mine on 9/12 and ETA says Oct 31-Nov 1. Wah.

Which did you order? We got the 64 gig in silver on verizon on the Saturday after the pre-order. It said Oct 7 delivery, but we got it yesterday.

Back