• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Reverse light sender

Hi all.

I have completed a auto to manual conversion, all is well except I have no reverse lights.

Was the reverse light sender located on the auto gearbox or auto shifter?
Where is it located on a manual car?

I could just install an aux switch on the shifter but I would rather have it oem.

Any help is appreciated
Regards

Hi,
The automatic had the switch in the shifter. On the manual the back-up light switch is on the transmission. Unless it was plugged the switch may still be in the new transmission. Remove the airbox and it's almost under the big air tube that connects the airbox to the throttle body. Should be easy to see with airbox removed, it will be screwed into the transmission and usually has a protective rubber cap.

Mike

Hi,
The automatic had the switch in the shifter. On the manual the back-up light switch is on the transmission. Unless it was plugged the switch may still be in the new transmission. Remove the airbox and it's almost under the big air tube that connects the airbox to the throttle body. Should be easy to see with airbox removed, it will be screwed into the transmission and usually has a protective rubber cap.

Mike

Hi, thanks I found it. The switch tested fine with my multi meter but there is no extra plug on the engine harness to accommodate. I compared to a spare manual harness I had floating around and they are different, its the only plug that's missing between the 2 however the auto harness has a 4 more plugs for the auto trans.

I bridged the 9 and 10 pin on the loom that used to connect to the auto selector but the lights still didn't work, I assume because I have removed the auto controller from the firewall.

Instead of hunting for days to rectify the issue I just installed a new relay and spliced it into the rear light harness and gearbox switch, works a treat and its fused for extra protection.

If anyone needs auto to manual information then give me a bell as I have now fully completed the conversion.
Thanks

Last edited:
Yes, in a manual conversion you will need to find the wires where they were connected at the shift lever.

Back