• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What advice would you give your younger self?

Do you consider 28-30 too late? Just curious.
-------------------------------------------------
I would say it's never too late to start investing.

No. Just max it out.
Cut cable and put 15% into your 401k.
You'll be better than 95% of people in 35 years.
^^Bingo. It is never too late to start investing. It's just going to take a bit more work than it would had you started earlier. Basically what you're doing is playing catchup, hence the higher contribution rate into your 401K at a later age. So instead of only contributing a small percentage in your 20's (say 5%) you now have to make up for those lost years of compound interest by increasing your contribution percentage(as jond suggested 15%).

I would tell my younger self to learn the true meaning of "value" and how to properly place a value on something, whether it's real estate, a business, or other asset.

Funny thing is, I know when gas is "cheap" and when it's "expensive." My wife knows when corn/apples/whatever is cheap at the supermarket and when they're not a "buy."

When I first started in real estate, my ability to place a value on something was skewed. Nowadays, not so much. But my portfolio would look a lot different now had I had my current mindset then.

Difficult to say. Definitely advice about money -- like most kids, I was dumb with money, up until I was about 30. I could be a lot better off now if I was a lot smarter then.

I'm tempted to give my younger self advice about girls. There are a couple girls I chased in my late teens/early 20s that I wasted a lot of time and money on but didn't turn into proper relationships. I could tell my younger self to cut my losses and let them go -- but then I may not have met my wife, whom I've been happily married to for 22 years now. Those early mistakes may have been prerequisite to my current life. Probably best to just leave the past as is.

Bang as many chicks as you can before you get married:tongue:

Now that I've been married almost 14 years...I'm glad I took my own advice:biggrin:

Also, don't be in such a hurry to grow up....

Never become complacent...

Stay humble...

Treat others as you would like to be treated....

Once you have kids, cherish every moment.....they grow before your eyes.

in retrospect would have picked sports that are safer when i was growing up.
motocross, super cross, arena cross, flat track racing probably not smart, i would have been better off on the swim team, track , that sort of thing.
i really am lucky i survived my first 35 years without a serious injury.
the other thing i wish (but this is hindsight) is being 100% in the stock market from day one.
i have a great pension, so no need for bonds. but how was i to know?

Buy apple stock at $12 and sell it at 600 and retire at 35. Learn to golf when you are 5 so you don't suck so much later in life. Also, stay off the monkey bars.

Last edited:
All this is fabulous advice, but be honest, your younger self wouldn't have listened. I know I didn't. There's a point in our teen lives that we actually think we know more than our parents.:wink:

All this is fabulous advice, but be honest, your younger self wouldn't have listened. I know I didn't. There's a point in our teen lives that we actually think we know more than our parents.:wink:

isn't that the truth....I wish i was 17 again, back then, I knew everything:cool:

I quit taking music lessons when I was a kid, which I now consider
to be one of the worst choices I ever made. I learned to play an
instrument in my 40s when progress comes more slowly.
But hey, better late than never.

Stop spending money on an civic hb to make it jdm and save that money and buy a brownstone in brooklyn when 30k would have gone far and then sell it for a million dollar profit.
But all in all im happy with the life experiences that have I have been apart of. That is what growing up is, you learn as you go and hope that the examples that you show your kids is better than any advise you can tell them.

I would tell my younger self to learn the true meaning of "value" and how to properly place a value on something, whether it's real estate, a business, or other asset.

Funny thing is, I know when gas is "cheap" and when it's "expensive." My wife knows when corn/apples/whatever is cheap at the supermarket and when they're not a "buy."

When I first started in real estate, my ability to place a value on something was skewed. Nowadays, not so much. But my portfolio would look a lot different now had I had my current mindset then.

Don't fall in love with the property, fall in love with the deal. If the deal changes, move on to find the deal you love.

Btw, thought of another piece of advice... Have kids at a younger age so you can be more assured to see them into adulthood. But I've said that before on this forum.

- - - Updated - - -

Difficult to say. Definitely advice about money -- like most kids, I was dumb with money, up until I was about 30. I could be a lot better off now if I was a lot smarter then.

I'm tempted to give my younger self advice about girls. There are a couple girls I chased in my late teens/early 20s that I wasted a lot of time and money on but didn't turn into proper relationships. I could tell my younger self to cut my losses and let them go -- but then I may not have met my wife, whom I've been happily married to for 22 years now. Those early mistakes may have been prerequisite to my current life. Probably best to just leave the past as is.

I set out on a narrow way many years ago
Hoping I would find true love along the broken road
But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow and kept pushing through

I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you
That every long lost dream lead me to where you are
Others who broke my heart, they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms

This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you
Yes it did

I think about the years I spent just passing through
I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you
But you just smile and take my hand
You've been there you understand
It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true

Every long lost dream led me to where you are
And others who broke my heart they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know it's true
Yeah

And now I'm rolling home
Into my lover's arms
This much I know is true

Ooh, ooh

Okay Steveny...
If—By Rudyard Kipling 1865–1936
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

1) Be true to yourself and don't worry what other people think because you will be happier in life.
2) Spend less on booze, cars, motorcycles and women in your twenties and put it towards your future.
3) Learn to invest yesterday
4) Slow down and smell the flowers
5) Keep God in your heart

Back