• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch Chat- Science of Speed Sport 350 Clutch OR CT Engineering Powergrip 1 Clutch?

I have a 1991 nsx with a CT supercharger, headers, exhaust and airbox and about 75 K miles, It pushes 330 hp-350 hp and the stock clutch was toast after about 20 K miles.

Any preference on these two clutches over OEM? I do not plan on upgrading the car any further.

Thanks,

I bought a used SOS 350 from Bonhamsurf and it is a really good clutch (real light action) I have tracked with it a couple of times now and no issues at all, I have not used the Comptech one so cannot comment.

I have the SOS twin turbo set up and the 305 sport clutch. Am at 12K miles on it and no issues. It is almost stock feeling on the street. I have around 5 track days on it with no issues. Two other local NSXrs have the SOS supercharger set up and are also using the 350 and love it. Hope this helps in your decision.

2 recently documented failures of this and the 250 here in SoCal. Hopefully SOS has addressed the issues.

hmmmmm I'm having some crunching noises from the car after only 1 track day with the 270 clutch.....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I personally had the CT Powergrip 1 Clutch. It came with the car and I had to replace it with an OEM setup cause I simply couldn't tolerate the amazingly heavy feel of the clutch.

hmmmmm I'm having some crunching noises from the car after only 1 track day with the 250 clutch.....:rolleyes:

Hope it is ok I wonder how different the two are, the op did ask about the 350 clutch though not the 250. I just did another track day on mine in incredibly wet conditions and I have to say it is a really good clutch, the only reason it came up for sale was that bonhamsurf was going to more than 650hp so he needed something more.

2 recently documented failures of this and the 250 here in SoCal. Hopefully SOS has addressed the issues.

This is correct, me being one of them... Had the clutch installed in feb of 2011 and exactly 3,000 miles / 12 months later it failed on me. Never been tracked, no f/i, just normal street driving and cruising. I was always wondering when the annoying chatter would go away and patiently awaited the day my clutch would engage smoothly. The clutch disc did me a favor by self-destructing, causing me to replace it with a ctpg1 which I absolutely love. I love the heavy feel of it. It engages smoothly and no annoying chatter that the SOS had. This is my personal experience and would never give any SOS clutch a second chance. Here is a pic for reference.

6zope0.jpg

I'm not sure what SOS 250 is/was; I have had SOS 270 for idk 15k miles now. Street and canyon runs. I never ride clutch. Never abuse. Pedal feel is just a tiny bit heavier than OEM double disc. I don't mind it.
So far so good. Not advocating buying from SOS just sharing my experience. Actually I would probably get CTPG myself. Heard so many good things about it..

I own a brand new CT PG1 I may sell if interested as my old clutch still seems to be doing OK. I looked into this a fair amount, and after a long talk with Nate at comptech about the internals and build of the PG-1 was convinced it is a higher quality clutch. Pedal effort is not all that matters. What also matters is how smoothly a clutch engages. Does it catch in a slow controlled manner? or is it like an on/off switch at one point of travel? Yes the PG1 has a heavier feel but a few people that own it here liked it and I never heard any complaints. Takeup is very smooth. It's built around a Turbo Porsche OEM unit. The SOS is a rebuilt Honda OEM unit. Of course the materials are changed out.

I have a PG2 clutch and it holds at 528rwhp and 395ft/lbs. Pedal feels light and smooth to me. 20 track events and 27k miles.

Last edited:
Back