• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Aem gauges

getting down to the gauge installs.. few questions Boost, A/F, oil temp, oil pressure

1. where are you getting/splicing for the power source?
2. for boost gauge whats the most accurate source to tap into?
3. bov, seen some use to T it off the fpr?
4. wastegate, the turbo had a place where it would normally connect too but has been blocked off, is there another source to connect this too?turbo.jpg
5. for oil feed/oil pressure source for this would be right above the oil filter?oil feed.jpg

lots of boosted nsx in this community but searching could not find much info/photos for diy.. photos would help big time

Last edited:
Too much to type on all of this but if you have specific questions I can answer. I've done all of this. Your place for oil pressure is on the block. Your place for temp is the pan. Your place for fuel pressure is top of filter.

Where exactly on the block? If not mistaken sos sells an adaptor coming from the corner of either head for oil pressure and or feed..
ive come too far along to drop the oil pan again for oil temp, may end up not utilizing this..

Any suggestions as to where to T for vacuum source bov/waste gate

3c1b42131303760bc3f036597434e2b3_zps398481ec.jpg

757b1f656244929669e064a84cb307cf_zpsb9b34285.jpg

The top photo is looking up from under the car at the bank of cylinders towards the front of the car. I am looking between the engine and firewall of the cabin. You will have to remove some beams out to get to this. It took about 30 minutes for 2 of us. Then torque all to spec. Do you see the copper fitting and under it the brass fitting? The brass fitting has replaced an oem plug. It is a standard NPT fitting from a gauge. It fits right in with an adapter. Like it was made for an aftermarket oil pressure gauge. The top copper one is the one that sos sells the adaptor for... but you cant get to it because the EGR is in the way. you cant get a Wrench on it. It's the best spot, near the oem sensor. It won't drip oil of the engine is off. But like I said to get to it you have to remove a bunch of triangular beams and stuff out of the way. Don't be afraid, it's not hard just time consuming.

The oil temp sensor in the bottom picture sticks out no lower than the oem plug on my car.... I seriously recommend you buy this bundle from amazon as you will use many of the fittings like the one to fit on the oil pan and the brass one for the oil pressure. It's only $10

- - - Updated - - -

Buy this kit!!

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-9848-Pr...im_auto_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1T4G7B66YCY4Z2P0ZD5T

- - - Updated - - -

I'm supercharged so I can't help you with the turbo thing.

Last edited:
Very very helpful with the pics! Don't recognize that tubing above the fitting but did notice the motor mount and support beam is off.. Just Put in an order for 2 sets just in case .. Thankyou

That tubing is the EGR system. Pain to remove so I didn't bother using that fitting, nor the SOS adapter. One of the adaptors in that $10 kit fits in the lower one. You have to do it for the bottom, not the top, don't even try. You'll have to remove that U shaped metal beam under the car, the transmission cable mount thingies, whatever is in your way. Make it easy on yourself. Then torque everything back to spec according to the manual. I think we even removed rear motor mount bolt and the beam it fits into. Not difficult, like I said two of us did it in about 30 minutes might take you 2 hours alone. Check for leaks before putting everything back obviously.

No one helped me with this stuff so I specifically documented this to help someone like you.

Here is fuel pressure, you will need a basic Honda to NPT adaptor for this too if you haven't done it:

d9df324b3567bd2e918f26679f8618c2_zps0ac03bae.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Let me tag this post with some helpful things on searches: aftermarket gauges. Fuel pressure. Oil pressure gauge. Oil temperature gauge.

- - - Updated - - -

The oil filter sandwich plates are not good to use from what I read. Convenient but not accurate for pressure or temp. Best place for temp after MUCH reading is the oil pan. Oems use that location. You want an "average", the block is not a good spot. I am just saying this for the next guy. Don't buy one of those adaptor plates. Easy but no good.

Currently dont have a digital fuel pressure gauge only the b&m manual that mounts on top of the filter.. i have the oil pressure but missing temp sensor itself not sure if its an aem specific.. these are some very useful info .. ive searched the forums but get little info with no pictures and pictures are a big help for diy in my opinion .. maybe theres less prime members then I thought that diy when it comes to boost? Either way this still is a great community .. ill add more pictures as I go and maybe itll help someone else that wants to diy.. I do appreciate prime members taking their time to answer questions

Last edited:
I would guess that sensor is somehwhat universal but I would probably get the AEM one to be safe. I'm running 8 gauges. I'm tired of not knowing what's going on. Now I will be very informed and they all have warnings which I really wanted. I can't be looking at gauges on the track. Warning is key.

Here is how the block plugs look stock by the way. Both copper:

ac278b89-f45d-44f2-84bb-f3d41d9237b5_zps4be1ecef.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Where did you end up getting the power source for the gauges?

In red square below. Lower kickpanel driver's side fuse box. Open taps for power, ground, constant, and even lights for dimming. It's not what I used. I used all the connections at the radio. I don't have a radio and that is where my gauges are so I used the power, ground, constant, switched, and lighting all at the radio with an aftermarket harness with no cuts. For you, just tap the top of the fuse box. They are open. Thank you, Honda.

nsxfuses.jpg

Last edited:
Very useful info!!! I actually removed my stereo and door speakers awhile back since the unit took a dump.. just gauges in its place .. so all your gauges are being powered by one + wire in the stereo harness? Did that not pop your fuse

Very useful info!!! I actually removed my stereo and door speakers awhile back since the unit took a dump.. just gauges in its place .. so all your gauges are being powered by one + wire in the stereo harness? Did that not pop your fuse

I haven't ran them yet but I don't expect they will. The draw on the gauges is not anywhere near the stereo draw.

- - - Updated - - -

At most you can run a larger wire from the kick panel box.

update.. using allen bit 5mmoil feed fitting.jpg oil pressure.jpg thanks turbo...
oil feed2.jpg oil feed.jpg for the turbo guys, is this the common place to tap for turbo oil feed? if tapping for oil in this area would the stock pressure sender not be effective?

image.jpg

Turbo .. With the stereo harness which wires are you connecting since gauges only require +\- ... Red-power, yellow-constant, black-ground, orange-illumination? I probably have those colors switch besides ground. Are you adding a fuse also or relying on the stock fuse box

image.jpg

Wideband A/F .. (6 wires) Bottom clip is to sensor (3 wires) red-power source, black-ground and white is? .. Did some checking and others seem to also have blue wire as well .. Where does this white wire go?

image.jpg

Outlets- not sure where to tap into since my stock one was already missing.. Thinking about using your chart to power these two .. On the stock wiring at the radio harness is it the plug with 3 wires? (Red/black stripe, orange,black)

will be adding fuel pressure gauge once all this mess is done..

Last edited:
I can't really help you with that, I don't know. You have to just look up the wire colors on your gauges and match up the proper ones with an aftermarket stereo harness, which is all labeled, you can get one from SOS. don't splice OEM wires. Foe the power you want something that has 12V on ignition not on accessory and certainly not constant unless the gauge asks for that for some memory function (which I doubt).

What is your center console? That's similar to how I'm setting mine up.

DF center console..its off his 91 which is also same yr as mine so I figure install should go smoothly besides figuring out the wiring

i don't plan on cutting stock harness, I have aftermarket harness adapter as shown. Just wasn't positve if the yellow and orange wire gets used.. The white wire on the a/f in diagram says to a .5v source or taps into a harness that connects to the EMS

image.jpg

Pretty sure the main 4 wires will always be the same regardless manufacture on aftermarket harness as standard

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 117368

Success!! Only red and black on the harness adaptor used (ign/acc) .. For 12v outlets, just depinned speaker wire not used and stuck it in (brown/yellow striped) stock cig harness..

Still need to find out where white wire on a/f goes on the ems.. Anyone?

Last edited:
Back