• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2002 Black/Red OEM+ Build

2002 Black/Red OEM+ Build (now dipped Deep Sea Blue Pearl!)

Here's my attempt at a build thread. I am terrible at taking pics during mods so most of these with be "after" shots. OEM+ is a term coined in the VW/Audi community meaning modding done with OEM parts or OEM in appearance. The result being something that could conceivably come from the factory. My take on it for the NSX is a JDM/EDM Honda theme.

Here's the thread on how I came to own this beauty, if you're interested: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/183377-Dream-fulfilled!-02-Black-Red

How she looked when I picked her up:
photo 2 by bb6typesh, on Flickr
Already had Comptech headers and V2 stainless exhaust, and Swift Sport Mach springs. Nice!

First thing I did was take her to Greg@Signature Detailing for a full paint correction, polishing, and coating with CQuartz Finest: http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/...uartz-finest…greg-gellas-signature-detailing/
14779803602_1e9b214ed9_h.jpg

Since the previous owner removed the antenna, I installed a Metra/Shark Attack II. Need to listen to my NPR!
1bWagxua6q4dIhaYc7dCdEN4bBlwu51 by bb6typesh, on Flickr

Honda emblem on the manifold plate from a Honda Accord.
IMG_9436sm by bb6typesh, on Flickr

Non-filled NSX H emblem. SCW Cooling Plate. Spare tire removed. Wiper delete (done by PO)
coolingplate by bb6typesh, on Flickr

Comptech tips:
comptech by bb6typesh, on Flickr

Stock interior:
interior by bb6typesh, on Flickr
Will be placing the worn fabrics this winter, and redoing the center console with OEM radio.

This is a 3D printed riser. I removed the engine cover, and the rear hatch has nowhere to rest on except the metal B-pillar. The PO must have removed the engine cover too since there are already scratches in the B-pillar. The risers raise the height up 20mm so the rubber can hold the glass up. I also added rubber moldings on the B-pillar contact area to prevent any further damage.
bumpstop by bb6typesh, on Flickr
molding by bb6typesh, on Flickr

This pic shows the car on 25mm spacers all around. Tires have been changed to Sumitomo HTR ZII 215/40-17 and 275/40-17. Yes the rear is taller than stock but it gives it that meaty wide look I am going for. No TCS issues and no rubbing so far. SOS Stealth bracket shown here too, although I am disappointed the stealth function doesn't work on 02+.
NSX3_HDR2 by bb6typesh, on Flickr

2-piece Racing Brake rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Downforce intake scoop, and yes factory Honda emblems from an Accord. The JDM/EDM cars get flat Honda logos, but the raised ones like the stock Acura emblems give it a classy touch. I am not going for the NSX-R look.
IMG_9546sm by bb6typesh, on Flickr

Last edited:
Apart from the red calipers I wouldn't touch it, look sfantastic already!!

He's like, "but guys, I'm just getting started!"

This car is superb. It is beautiful in it's own skin!

Any chance you can get different color license plates? Lol. We had yellow plates in WI in the 80s, they we're horrible.

Love the clean mods and can't wait to see more pics!

He's like, "but guys, I'm just getting started!"

This car is superb. It is beautiful in it's own skin!

Any chance you can get different color license plates? Lol. We had yellow plates in WI in the 80s, they we're horrible.

Love the clean mods and can't wait to see more pics!

Thanks for the kind words. Not going to mess with the exterior much. Toying with the idea of plastidipping the wheels and maybe the whole car.

You're right about the plates, too bad we don't have any good alternatives in NJ.

Next week, Bilsteins will be in! Can't wait!

Thanks, the Swift Sport Mach springs have one of the smallest drops - only 0.8"F/0.6"R. Bilsteins should take it down another 0.6". Hope it will be perfect.

Here's another pic I like:
IMG_9269_1920 by bb6typesh, on Flickr

You've done a very tasteful job on your car.
Lots of subtle changes adding up to a classy look.
Stock but somehow not stock. Very clever.

Those 25 mm spacers on oem wheels look superb!

Glad you didn't clutter up the classic lines with a type-r spoiler.
They only look right on a white car.

Thanks JD! I am trying to respect Honda's design while still putting in a few personal touches to make it mine. Although there will be some things like the cooling plate that are just impulse buys :)

Thanks JD! I am trying to respect Honda's design while still putting in a few personal touches to make it mine. Although there will be some things like the cooling plate that are just impulse buys :)

I used to travel to Japan on business three or four times a year and was always impressed by the Japanese skill with subtle design.
Many small refined points adding up to a complete package.
Very much a part of their culture.

I see so many modified NSX's that miss the point of Japanese elegance.

You've captured the essence.
As you find more areas to refine please keep posting.
I am most interested in where you go with this.

Last edited:
susupaje.jpg

Bilsteins installed on the lower perch. Feels great and looks amazing. Haven't tested the limits yet but eager to get a chance.

Looks terrific
Nicely done!
Those 02+ stock wheels look perfect.

Thanks guys! This build is going to be a mild one but so far I'm having a blast! Lots of fun thinking up the next mods!

Unfortunately I won't make it to NSXPO, have family obligations... jealous of all of you who can go! Here's hoping for next year...

lowered on Bilsteins by bb6typesh, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks, the Swift Sport Mach springs have one of the smallest drops - only 0.8"F/0.6"R. Bilsteins should take it down another 0.6". Hope it will be perfect.

Here's another pic I like:
IMG_9269_1920 by bb6typesh, on Flickr

Alex, car looks GREAT! Love the mods.. This is my 2nd favorite pic of your car… Wait, I love ALL of them!

Alex, car looks GREAT! Love the mods.. This is my 2nd favorite pic of your car… Wait, I love ALL of them!

Thx JT, means a lot. Would love to do a photoshoot one day with your pristine Spa Yellow!

- - - Updated - - -

Comparison of before/after Bilsteins

After
013660983a9baded7bc2221e8960fa8221f097c1aa by bb6typesh, on Flickr

- - - Updated - - -

The next mod, which I might get some criticism for, are Philips Daylight Guide DRLs. Paid under $150 for them off eBay. I am not 100% sold on them yet, but they are easily removable without any permanent modifications. Instead of using discrete LEDs, they use the lightpipe technology like on the new Audis & Porsches for 2 continuous bands of light.

PhilipsDRL-3_zps42aa522d.jpg

0143a46025fa3acb6158544161e7aec1281e81a4c2 by bb6typesh, on Flickr

015a0654bb9bc80b2193b59b85c083491a534b1799 by bb6typesh, on Flickr

They are brighter in daylight and dim when the headlights are turned on. Very easy 3 wire install (power, ground, headlight wire). They also stay on for a while after the car is shut off, like many newer cars with a "leaving home" feature.

Let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

• drl_daylightguide_box.jpg
    drl_daylightguide_box.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 2,136
Last edited:
Here's a pic of my Canadian car with OEM daytime running lights with LED bulbs.
Believe these lights are used in some European models as well.
Your Philips lights are similar but more subtle so I like the look

DSC02612.jpg

I dig those DRLs JD, really updates the look! I wonder if any other countries required DRLs, haven't seen them stock on the 02+.

DRLs by bb6typesh, on Flickr
Here's a shot of mine at night. Pretty bright.

On to the suspension. After a couple drives I can review the Bilsteins. Everything that RPM217 said is right. At 90K the stock shocks were done. With the Bilsteins, the car is much more taut and responsive. No extraneous motions, a complete transformation, really. The ride isn't any harsher than stock, but on bumpy roads it's still jarring (I'm set on the lower perch). Over hills and crests the ride is a little float-y, possible related to the rebound or spring rate on the Swift Sport Mach's.

Since this is not a track car, the Bilsteins satify 95+% of my intended use. For spirited driving it is a well-tuned setup that really enhances the driving experience. Highly recommended!

Alignment specs after the Bilsteins.
alignment by bb6typesh, on Flickr

This setup is much more aggressive, more willing to turn in and rotate, especially on tight radius turns. On sweepers the setup is still forgiving, maybe due to the 275's in back. I notice some unnecessary yaw motion in the rear, I assume this is due to stock swaybar and compliance links, but for street driving it is acceptable.

Pleasantly surprised with the 25mm spacers there hasn't been any rubbing at all. Hopefully that remains the case!

I'm wondering if the DRL's are built into the 02+ headlight package?
A Canadian 02 owner might chime in here.

They probably use the single parking light bulb found in the 02 housing. Disclaimer: I'm not a Canadian 02+ owner. However, I replaced said bulb with some insanely bright CREE. Here's the reflection off my garage door a couple weekends ago
aremury4.jpg

Back