• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Curious clunking sound from front right wheel-well...

I have noticed a curious clunking noise from the front right wheel-well. It occurs when I go over bumps. I am wondering where the usual culprits are (bushings, ball joints, sway bars, etc.) for a 1991 model.

I have done the push-down test on the shock to see if it may be loose or failing. It appears fine. I just replaced the ball joints on both front knuckles. My suspension is so tight it is hard to replicate the sound while stopped. Since I am not a fan of sitting on the fender while going over bumps at speed, I thought I would ask you folks if you had any ideas.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Do you have an upgraded front sway bar and if you do, check to see if it is striking your coilover. You will be able to see the marks if it is.

Last edited:
Also check the end links attached to the end of your sway bars they might be a bit flogged out if the car has been tracked at some stage

I have noticed a curious clunking noise from the front right wheel-well. It occurs when I go over bumps. I am wondering where the usual culprits are (bushings, ball joints, sway bars, etc.) for a 1991 model.

I have done the push-down test on the shock to see if it may be loose or failing. It appears fine. I just replaced the ball joints on both front knuckles. My suspension is so tight it is hard to replicate the sound while stopped. Since I am not a fan of sitting on the fender while going over bumps at speed, I thought I would ask you folks if you had any ideas.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Hi there,

Try jacking up the front passenger wheel and use a stand for safety. With the front wheel unloaded grab it at 3 and 9 o'clock and try and move it back and forth just enough to take up any slack. If there's any movement or knock its most likely your steering rack end housing that is worn. Final confirmation its the rack is to get under the front of the car make sure you have a safety stand in-place with the wheel pointing straight forward grab the steering shaft at the rubber boot end and try and move it up and down rubber boot in hand. If you find no movement or knock at the housing end check for movement in the tie rod by rocking the wheel back and forth again. It helps if you have an assistant to rock the wheel back and forth while viewing the tie rod from under the car or with no assistant have the wheel turned in so you can see the tie rod any movement there you have found your problem. However worn tie rods don't normally cause low speed knock.

Any movement or knock at the housing end indicates the steering rack housing is worn and requires an additional bush to support the steering shaft. Honda don't have this bush as a spare part but I do (sorry here's the self promoting plug). I have developed a DIY bush that is easily fitted that supports the rack shaft and eliminates passenger side low speed steering knock. The only other alternative to rectify a worn housing is to replace the entire steering rack assembly with a new one which costs a couple of thousand $.

Here's a link to current thread: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/182475-Steering-Rack-Knock-Bush

Installation video:

Last edited:
any r-chassis bars installed? Over-sized anti-roll bar? They can clunk against each other until suspension is settled.

Back