• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

sooo, who is jumping on r8 bandwagon?

The R8 is a great addition to the garage, along side the NSX. I hope to add one at some point in the future, but no intention of selling the NSX.

Supersonic here on prime is, selling his NSX to get one.:rolleyes:

yup I saw his post. I love his car, can't believe he is going for r8! I thought audis had all kinds of issues?

Well, it's Jason we're talking about.:wink:

Last edited:
off the top of my noodle I know 5 ...

I thought audis had all kinds of issues?

With Audi/VW, its a luck thing. Worked at Audi/VW dealership for a while and some people swear by their reliability, while others have pracitcally brand new cars coming back almost immediately for all sorts of problems. The R8 actually has been quite reliable with very minimal issues. Well designed and thought out prior to production.

R8 will be a great commuter with all the modern technologies, comfort, practicality, and livability (dont know if the word exists). If i didn't have the NSX, R8 will be to go to mid engine super car/sports car of choice for me. However, with the NSX, i am not thinking of selling and buying one.

I can see why owning both will not make much sense either, if i have both, i'll be spending more time in the R8 initially and thus, making the NSX nothing more than a garage queen. Won't take long till i will want to sell the NSX for economical reasons. For the price of a new R8, i'll probably want to wait for the NSX 2.0 (i know i know, it's taking forever and 1st batch of them probably are gonna be problematic).

Are you thinking of an R8? ;D

I just put 3k miles on one... was a lot of fun. But not enough to get rid of my NSX.

I kind of like the cars that arent all over.

off the top of my noodle I know 5 ...

really, they sold NSXs and got r8s?

- - - Updated - - -

With Audi/VW, its a luck thing. Worked at Audi/VW dealership for a while and some people swear by their reliability, while others have pracitcally brand new cars coming back almost immediately for all sorts of problems. The R8 actually has been quite reliable with very minimal issues. Well designed and thought out prior to production.

R8 will be a great commuter with all the modern technologies, comfort, practicality, and livability (dont know if the word exists). If i didn't have the NSX, R8 will be to go to mid engine super car/sports car of choice for me. However, with the NSX, i am not thinking of selling and buying one.

I can see why owning both will not make much sense either, if i have both, i'll be spending more time in the R8 initially and thus, making the NSX nothing more than a garage queen. Won't take long till i will want to sell the NSX for economical reasons. For the price of a new R8, i'll probably want to wait for the NSX 2.0 (i know i know, it's taking forever and 1st batch of them probably are gonna be problematic).

Are you thinking of an R8? ;D

Well I just got my 4th NSX, I was thinking of GTR before I quickly changed my mind lol. I don't know enough about r8s to consider one in near future but I would consider it in few years.

I just got an R8 to have in addition to my NSX....totally different cars IMO. The Audi is wayyyyy more comfortable to drive for an extended period. Both awesome cars though.

Well I just got my 4th NSX, I was thinking of GTR before I quickly changed my mind lol. I don't know enough about r8s to consider one in near future but I would consider it in few years.

if you're on your 4th NSX, then i dont think you'll ever be able to leave it behind xD The NSX is just that awesome.

I have quite a few buddies that have the GTR and i have heard nothing good from any of them. Brake issues, blown trannies, electrical gremlins, etc. Also, i personally think it looks hideous. Go with the R8. Go drive test drive one and see for yourself!! Both the V8 and V10 models drive supurbly nice. It is for sure more aesthetically pleasing and looks like a true supercar vs the bulbously fat GTR.

I don't know of a single one (except now Jason). If you have a stock NSX then I could see you might want an R8. The stock R8 is anemic. You really want the V10 then I could see it being a potential replacement for even a mildly tuned NSX.

I for one would only consider the R8 V10. Though, i'd consider a used 12C instead.

If you want the "cool" factor then certainly you'll get more clout at the valet line with a R8 than the NSX. In terms of real driving the NSX is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more engaging.

I don't know of a single one (except now Jason). If you have a stock NSX then I could see you might want an R8. The stock R8 is anemic. You really want the V10 then I could see it being a potential replacement for even a mildly tuned NSX.

I for one would only consider the R8 V10. Though, i'd consider a used 12C instead.

If you want the "cool" factor then certainly you'll get more clout at the valet line with a R8 than the NSX. In terms of real driving the NSX is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more engaging.

:thumbs up:

Me not knowing your history at all, but by reading that you just got your 4th NSX tells my that you've sold 3 yet keep coming back to the NSX. Did I read that correctly?:wink:
really, they sold NSXs and got r8s?

- - - Updated - - -

Me not knowing your history at all, but by reading that you just got your 4th NSX tells my that you've sold 3 yet keep coming back to the NSX. Did I read that correctly?:wink:

Yes that is correct. I LOVE Nsx but sometimes we have to open up to other possibilities ;)

Yes that is correct. I LOVE Nsx but sometimes we have to open up to other possibilities ;)

Yes but the fact you keep coming back to the NSX should tell you all you need to know about being open to other possibilities.:wink: That being said I got to drive my bosses R8 V10 (see link below) and it was lots of fun but if I had to pick I'd still still take my NSX. Now having both would be great if my wallet could afford both.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/184601-Look-what-I-drove-today

Having been a passenger in both the v8 and v10 I can't see any nsx owner being overly happy with the power of the v8. It's not really any faster than a ctsc nsx. The v10 is significantly faster.

I could see myself in the v10 all day long.... But I'm not sure where my golf clubs would go..

That said, I'd pick up a 12c over the r8 all day long.

Last edited:
That's essentially the problem with the R8 v8... it's like having the cheapest seats in the championship game. It's like being the smallest fish in the super car pool. Its like wearing an Armani suit but buying your underwear from Kmart.

Last edited:
A couple of months ago I had an opportunity to buy a used R8 V8, but I ended up passing on it. Drove it for an hour and thought it was a great car, but had this nagging feeling I wouldn't be happy with anything less than the V10.

Plus, I have no plans to sell my NSX...

i-xZpnqC8-X3.jpg

I was very seriously considering picking up a V8 powered R8 before I bought my second NSX, a 2002. echoing some of the previous statements, they're supposed to be extremely reliable, and they're very easy to live with and comfortable to drive, moreso than the NSX in my opinion. I have spent a good bit of time in the V10 powered car, and it is a monster for sure. as it should be with almost twice the thrust (550 HP). powerwise, if a 290 HP NSX is good enough for anyone, then a 425 HP Audi V8 should more than suffice.

the prices on the V8's are comparative to lower mileage late model NSXs too, almost the same. in the end I like the rarity of the NSX, and chose to stay with it...

With over 54,600 built in only 7 years can the R8 even be considered a rare car? And by current standards only the V10 can be considered a true super car. Yet for the price of the V10 model you can get the far superior McLaren 12C. So where's the huge appeal of the R8? It's a nice car but it appears to be a poor value. Ironically the same criticism has been levied against the NSX for years.

With the new NSX Honda should take a marketing lesson from Audi. Increase the status and appeal of your higher end Acura sedans prior to introducing the new NSX. The new NSX will not be able to sustain profitable production numbers over the long term unless people already think the Acura brand is hot shit. Audi had this going for them when the R8 was first introduced, but Acura has never had it. If the V8 R8 had an Acura badge on it I'm sure the production numbers would be far lower and there would be far more criticism aimed at it.

Last edited:
With over 54,600 built in only 7 years can the R8 even be considered a rare car? And by current standards only the V10 can be considered a true super car. Yet for the price of the V10 model you can get the far superior McLaren 12C. So where's the huge appeal of the R8? It's a nice car but it appears to be a poor value. Ironically the same criticism has been levied against the NSX for years.

With the new NSX Honda should take a marketing lesson from Audi. Increase the status and appeal of your higher end Acura sedans prior to introducing the new NSX. The new NSX will not be able to sustain profitable production numbers over the long term unless people already think the Acura brand is hot shit. Audi had this going for them when the R8 was first introduced, but Acura has never had it. If the V8 R8 had an Acura badge on it I'm sure the production numbers would be far lower and there would be far more criticism aimed at it.

I would agree that if you are coming from a stock NSX, the V8 R8 will be a nice improvement -- especially in TQ. If you are coming from a supercharged NSX, its not any faster. The V10 is what you need then.

Back