• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX collectability getting a little press today

Checking my email and saw the link, hoped it was on there, didn't expect it to be first on the list !

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/the-10-most-collectible-cars-right-now-180815155.html

5 Up-and-Comers

1991 Acura NSX Coupe
b4a2f8e0-44e0-11e4-bab5-a92069cceb56_Honda_NSX_red-620x305.jpg

The frisky—and first—Acura NSX was stocked with 270 horsepower and performance pizzazz that refuses to grow up or to grow old. A model in top condition spiked from $35,200 in 2010 to $52,300, just shy of what it cost brand-new in 1991 at $60,600.

That must be a reference to an unrealistic dealer's asking price. Nobody is paying $50k+ for a stock '91 with more than a couple of thousand miles on the ticker.

That must be a reference to an unrealistic dealer's asking price. Nobody is paying $50k+ for a stock '91 with more than a couple of thousand miles on the ticker.

There is one on autotrader right now asking $100,000 ( low mileage 91-92?) and another one typeR replica asking $148,000...... :eek:

Hope they get it:tongue:

Btw, what's with the one in the picture??? At least fix the mirror before publishing that pic:confused:

Last edited:
Bottom line is no knowledgeable Primate would pay that amount irrespective of what hagerty says.

That is what many of the E30 M3 community said. There has been a shift from negative comments about a high priced asking price to "good luck with the sale, I hope you get your price"

Everyone should welcome this kind of value increase, remember "a rising tide lifts all boats". The value rise begins with higher asking prices. Sure not all cars will be worth that kind of money, and every deal will be negotialted and based on car condition and what the buyer & seller agree upon. But it never hurts to ask a lot upfront.

Bottom line is no knowledgeable Primate would pay that amount irrespective of what hagerty says.

Sure they would. They would be purchasing an "asset" though and not a vehicle. A condition 1 1991 NSX is likely to hit 6 figures at some time in the future. Exactly when that will happen is of course the tricky question.

Sure they would. They would be purchasing an "asset" though and not a vehicle. A condition 1 1991 NSX is likely to hit 6 figures at some time in the future. Exactly when that will happen is of course the tricky question.

We will have to agree to disagree. I say no knowledgeable member on this site would pay that. Would you?

Cars are not appreciating assets. Unless you talk about a museum quality example with around 1000 miles on it that has been kept in a sealed, climate controlled setting and will continue to be kept that way then it's not worth $52k now nor will it be worth 100k in the future. There are very few examples of museum quality cars.

Not too long ago such a "museum quality" example hit the marketplace. It was a '91 with, I believe, less than 2000 miles on it. All sorts of wild speculation went on here as to value (notably nobody on Prime bought it despite its perceived value). I believe it ultimately sold for around $72k.

So the owner paid at least sticker plus taxes, etc. in 1991 for a total investment of around $65k. He held it for over 20 years and never enjoyed driving it. That 20 year asset provided him with a net "profit" of $7k.

Unless you are Jay Leno or Jerry Seinfeld, no one should kid themselves and think that buying an NSX is adding to their investment portfolio.

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone should welcome this kind of value increase, remember "a rising tide lifts all boats". The value rise begins with higher asking prices. Sure not all cars will be worth that kind of money, and every deal will be negotialted and based on car condition and what the buyer & seller agree upon. But it never hurts to ask a lot upfront.

Unreasonable asking prices do nothing more than guarantee the seller will be keeping the car. After moderating the Marketplace for the last few years I can tell what cars will sell and which ones won't. There are a few members who have had their cars overpriced from between $15-25k and have kept bumping their ads for as long as 7 years! If you really want to sell the car, you will price it accordingly. If you adore getting attention, then overprice your car and expect to own it for a very long time.

Hagerty values are great for insurance purposes if you total your NSX. As of right now, values are not rising as high as stupid asking prices and that does nothing more than result in many NSXs gathering dust in someone's garage or in dealer's inventory.

Last edited:
I don't plan to sell the NSX even if I strike some serious gold and pull in a few Zondas, P1, Koeneggsegg.

Reason is that IMHO the NSX is the reason why super-cars moving forward took a reliable and more usable super-car experience seriously.

For me the prices going up is good in the event that my NSX is totaled and I still have regular car insurance instead of classic car insurance that earlier NSXs are good for.

To requote myself from this post http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...he-s-smoking?p=1804068&viewfull=1#post1804068

With 308s and 328s getting a big spike in value lately (models are going between $30-80k with big variation based on condition), I wouldn't be surprised to see NSXs follow suit. You get the same analog driving experience and simple dependable maintenance. The 348/355 line is a big leap up in maintenance headache compared to a 328. Will a good NSX pull in the same money as a good 328? Of course not, that horsey on the front will always bring a premium. Once 328s crest $100k though, you can expect the best examples of NSXs to be hitting $75k

Will a Condition 1 1991 NSX hit $75k in 5 years? It wouldn't surprise me and it seems that most dealers & collectors are feeling the same way. That would be a solid 50% return on your investment.

Part of the problem is that the NSX has been stagnant for the past few decades, so the observations you have seen are all in its flatline period. It is also very possible that the market will remain stagnant for another 5-15 years. Too hard to project. If we had a big change in the global economy things could shift rapidly.

Now, as far as my own $$$ - pristine cars aren't really my thing. I am not much of a museum collector type person, so I wouldn't really ever want to own a Condition 1 vehicle. Condition 2 or 3 is more my style and those are generally flops in terms of "investment". I also agree with you that cars in general are not great assets - there are better pure assets in the marketplace. However, there is a non-fiscal enjoyment that a lot of collectors get from owning a Condition 1 car and I can understand that.

Rising value is a double edged (multi-edged) sword...more speculators (not true enthusiasts), hoarders (parts and whole cars), insurance, property taxes, etc...

Since I'm not looking to sell mine (anytime soon), the rising prices seem to have a more negative impact on me personally...but its great for my widow!

Most of us here are too biased to be objective on nsx pricing...bulls vs bears ect......personally I'm a bull..Bob is a bear.

So, realistically, what would someone expect to pay/get for a '91 with 30k-35k on the clock with a very clean history in today's market?
Thanks in advance.

So, realistically, what would someone expect to pay/get for a '91 with 30k-35k on the clock with a very clean history in today's market?
Thanks in advance.

Assuming a clean history, excellent condition with maintenance up to date I would say 38k-42k

Thanks in advance.

Wide range depending on the specific details of the car and how quickly you want to sell. Could be anywhere from $30-45k. If you are content to sit on it price it over $40k and wait for the right buyer. If you need it gone, price it as close to $30k as you are comfortable doing. You are also entering the end of the season for sports cars, and that tends to drive prices down a bit.

They are pulling their numbers straight from haggerty: http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vc=939163. Keep in mind there are very, very few Condition 1 1991 NSXs around and Condition 2 cars go for the much more realistic sub $40k

Q9cMDi.gif

I don't disagree, but even Hagerty seems a little all over the place. Below is a screenshot for a 92'. That shows a steep increase in Condition 2 cars that doesn't seem to correspond with what you see private sellers asking. Something I don't think this forum fully appreciates is that IT plays a huge role in pricing the market.

attachment.php

Going by the "average miles per year" designation for the NSX (5k miles/year per Prime's Wiki and FAQs), a '91 NSX would be at/around ~125k miles and and an '05 would be at/around ~50k miles!

I'd surmise the aforementioned '91 with ~125k miles would go for $30k+ and the '05 with for $60k' in the marketplace...

FWIW, my NSX is worth zero to me and its value is incomparable. So it'll never, ever be for sale! :D

Also worth mentioning the 1991 with 30k miles, no title, twice junked is currently at $25k on eBay with a couple hours to go. Does someone just put that in their collection and drive it with a dealer tag ? I can't see trying pull shady title stuff and reselling being worth it at that price point.

Also worth mentioning the 1991 with 30k miles, no title, twice junked is currently at $25k on eBay with a couple hours to go. Does someone just put that in their collection and drive it with a dealer tag ? I can't see trying pull shady title stuff and reselling being worth it at that price point.

For reference:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acura-NSX-B...9f4375b89&item=111471451017&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Strange car, doesn't appear to be very damaged in those photos which is likely the reason for the high bds.

Oh btw...that trunk hottie is a delight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea I've got the car fax somewhere, I'll try and find it, it's pretty funny. Stolen in like 1995, junk title issue when recovered, people junked it a couple times for aluminum lol. So looks to be a real 30k mile car at least, just can't believe it's doing that kind of money online knowing it will never be titled.

Last edited:
Back