• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hello Everyone

Hello everyone,

I'm Shafik. Just wanted to introduce myself and my new purchase (about 3 months now).

I am the proud owner of a 1991 Forumla Red NSX. I purchased the car and absolutely in LOVE. This car is a dream to drive.

I have attached a picture as well of the car. It's very stock and not modified at all.

Hope to be on here more and get to meet some of you all.

Thanks.

20140928_185803.jpg

Thanks, problem is I've been modifying cars all my life. So to keep this stock but it's getting difficult. However I do love the stock feel.

Thanks, problem is I've been modifying cars all my life. So to keep this stock but it's getting difficult. However I do love the stock feel.

It's a slippery slope. At first you just want to update the wheels, then something else catches your eye, when all of a sudden, you have a full Lovefab turbo kit with Veilside body kit and custom interior.

It's incremental, but it will happen.

Quite a tressure! Enjoy it however you like, stock or not. However, there aren't many stock ones around anymore, keeping it oem might be more unique than you think. I'm a big fan of the fat 5's!

Lucas

Hi Sahfik - Looks like a nice car.
Love my red/black 94 - was not stock so was easier for me to to start doing upgrades.
Read the posts - listen to others - get maintenance up to date - then enjoy - stock or modded.
Albert

Hello

Thanks for all the comments guys, appreciate it.

Keeping it stock will definitely be a challenge for me. Below are a pictures of the last few cars I've owned so you can see, stock was not an option for me.

I guess the thing with this NSX is that it's in such beautiful condition, clean and untouched I don't know if i'd want ruin it. We shall see... Sean, a Lovefab turbo kit does sound pretty good lol, not too sure about the veilside kit but the Rocket Bunny one does seem nice j/k.

My 2010 Mitsubishi Evo X
20140718_200830.jpg

my 1993 Right Hand Drive RX-7
12353927.JPEG

Let me know what you all think.

So thats how a stock NSX looks like! :)

i kid i kid!

Congratulations on your NSX! takes a lot of will power to keep a NSX stock :cool:

I don't think it's going to last long. I've already started looking at parts. Lol
Welcome to NSX ownership brother. Mine didn't last 2hrs before I lowered it. In fact I had purchased the springs and shocks before I took ownership of the car. I also made a mistake. I bought an 03 and didn't initially like that the mid portion of the rear valence was black... So I had it painted NFR to match the rest of the car... It's back to black now.

Itching

Welcome to NSX ownership brother. Mine didn't last 2hrs before I lowered it. In fact I had purchased the springs and shocks before I took ownership of the car. I also made a mistake. I bought an 03 and didn't initially like that the mid portion of the rear valence was black... So I had it painted NFR to match the rest of the car... It's back to black now.

I guess the thing is that I have such a habit of "overdooing" it .. or so says my wife that I don't have control. Simple lowering of the car will lead me to a full turbo or some crazy kit.

I think that I am trying to find the right balance between tasteful and not going overkill. I guess what's hard is that the car is definitely in mint condition so I am trying to enjoy the natural state as much as I can ... lol.

Yours looks nice, I've seen pictures of it. It never stops does it lol.

I guess the thing is that I have such a habit of "overdooing" it .. or so says my wife that I don't have control. Simple lowering of the car will lead me to a full turbo or some crazy kit.

I think that I am trying to find the right balance between tasteful and not going overkill. I guess what's hard is that the car is definitely in mint condition so I am trying to enjoy the natural state as much as I can ... lol.

Yours looks nice, I've seen pictures of it. It never stops does it lol.
You're wife and mine are not to meet. They sound the same. Mine even comes with the wrath of the Irish lol.... And no dude it never stops. I told myself I'm only lowering that first year. To date I have wrapper the centre console in suede, double din pioneer stereo, Honda navpod with Magellan gps, RSX-R shift knob, momo pedals, momo steering with NRG quick release, type r style rear spoiler, type r style rear diffuser, Enkei RP03s 18/17, plus the aforementioned suspension mod. Now I'm seriously considering a super charger kit just undecided between CT Eng, sos, Gruppe M or putting together my own kit, another wheel change to Works Emotion 11R with identical offsets and sizes,... But the most recent and outrages... Components of the Rocket Bunny kit and a way to install without drilling holes into the aluminum panels.

I'd say if you plan on getting your NSX looking like your EvoX or FD, I'd exchange for a a higher mileage CTSC nsx that's got a few dings. There's a lot of value in your NSX as it stands. Sell it to someone who wants to keep it stock and you'll have some left over for a body kit.

Else, set some limits and do it tastefully. If you plan on selling, you'll be glad you kept the NSX looking honest.

Maintenance is no. 1!

Quite a tressure! Enjoy it however you like, stock or not. However, there aren't many stock ones around anymore, keeping it oem might be more unique than you think. I'm a big fan of the fat 5's!

Lucas

Lucas
There's only two of us fat five lovers left.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that I am trying to find the right balance between tasteful and not going overkill. I guess what's hard is that the car is definitely in mint condition so I am trying to enjoy the natural state as much as I can ...

While it's your car and can be made into anything you choose I have some suggestions.

When your 91 was launched it was the best handling, most reliable and one of the fastest production cars made.
Concept drawings by Pininfarina, development assisted by Ayrton Senna, and handmade in Tochigi.
It raised the bar for all that followed and the 91 coupe is an icon.
You are fortunate to have found one and now own it.
An icon deserves to be treated with respect.

The light aluminum body coupled with adequate power to exploit the chassis and suspension were the trademarks.
It was never a high powered monster, and is more like a superbly balanced katana.

If it's your first mid-engine car it may take a while to learn the handling differences in a car with such a low polar moment of inertia.
Even today I don't know many owners who can consistently take a stock NSX to it's design limits and usually they are avid track day participants.
I'm not sure how many owners today could match Senna's lap times in a stock NSX regardless of the modifications they may have done.
I know I certainly can't.

If you spend your initial time in your NSX extracting the engineering and design excellence that went into it you'll soon learn how fast it is in the corners.
You don't need any more than stock power in third gear in the twisty's to go as fast as you wish.

Once you've found it's limits you may be satisfied with it as is or you may wish to change some things.
You may want to do some brake or suspension work.
The HID kit offered by Steve White will modernize the headlights, a Grom or USA Spec adapter will bring digital sound and hands free phone service.
If you've improved the suspension and brakes and are driving them to their limits then perhaps a power increase would be useful once it can be exploited.
If you plan to track your NSX regularly you may reach it's limits earlier but for a street car not much is needed.

In my opinion the NSX doesn't need big wings that ad drag, big heavy wheels and tires that add unsprung weight, body appendages that change the classic lines.
These things, while very popular modifications, won't make you a better driver, nor make the NSX faster.
NSX's modified for appearance are common now and your stock unit is rare.

If/when you do modify your car please keep all the oem pieces so it can be restored.

Lucas
There's only two of us fat five lovers left.

- - - Updated - - -

While it's your car and can be made into anything you choose I have some suggestions.

When your 91 was launched it was the best handling, most reliable and one of the fastest production cars made.
Concept drawings by Pininfarina, development assisted by Ayrton Senna, and handmade in Tochigi.
It raised the bar for all that followed and the 91 coupe is an icon.
You are fortunate to have found one and now own it.
An icon deserves to be treated with respect.

The light aluminum body coupled with adequate power to exploit the chassis and suspension were the trademarks.
It was never a high powered monster, and is more like a superbly balanced katana.

If it's your first mid-engine car it may take a while to learn the handling differences in a car with such a low polar moment of inertia.
Even today I don't know many owners who can consistently take a stock NSX to it's design limits and usually they are avid track day participants.
I'm not sure how many owners today could match Senna's lap times in a stock NSX regardless of the modifications they may have done.
I know I certainly can't.

If you spend your initial time in your NSX extracting the engineering and design excellence that went into it you'll soon learn how fast it is in the corners.
You don't need any more than stock power in third gear in the twisty's to go as fast as you wish.

Once you've found it's limits you may be satisfied with it as is or you may wish to change some things.
You may want to do some brake or suspension work.
The HID kit offered by Steve White will modernize the headlights, a Grom or USA Spec adapter will bring digital sound and hands free phone service.
If you've improved the suspension and brakes and are driving them to their limits then perhaps a power increase would be useful once it can be exploited.
If you plan to track your NSX regularly you may reach it's limits earlier but for a street car not much is needed.

In my opinion the NSX doesn't need big wings that ad drag, big heavy wheels and tires that add unsprung weight, body appendages that change the classic lines.
These things, while very popular modifications, won't make you a better driver, nor make the NSX faster.
NSX's modified for appearance are common now and your stock unit is rare.

If/when you do modify your car please keep all the oem pieces so it can be restored.

I absolutely LOVE driving the stock NSX. I did a lot of research into the 91's and after hearing more from you I am swaying further away from modifying it. You are right, some modifications to bring it up to date would make the car even better, which I think is something I am looking forward to doing.

I absolutely love the nostalgia behind this NSX. While people knock the fat five, I absolutely love them, I even found an old cassette and listened to you it in the car, ah the fun days lol.

Is Steve White a member on here or someone affiliated to a shop? Also, if people have had experience with the GROM or USA Spec adapters, which on is better? or the same? I didn't know about these things, would love to leave the head unit stock and put in one of these units, bluetooth and digital sound from phone, what else do I really need for audio.

Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate the feedback and input, again, I've been at a real cross roads about this car, I didn't want to take "away" from the car. I think you guys have just helped me make a decision. ;o)

If you can forward me information on Steve White that would be great. I would love to do the HID upgrade.

You're wife and mine are not to meet. They sound the same. Mine even comes with the wrath of the Irish lol.... And no dude it never stops. I told myself I'm only lowering that first year. To date I have wrapper the centre console in suede, double din pioneer stereo, Honda navpod with Magellan gps, RSX-R shift knob, momo pedals, momo steering with NRG quick release, type r style rear spoiler, type r style rear diffuser, Enkei RP03s 18/17, plus the aforementioned suspension mod. Now I'm seriously considering a super charger kit just undecided between CT Eng, sos, Gruppe M or putting together my own kit, another wheel change to Works Emotion 11R with identical offsets and sizes,... But the most recent and outrages... Components of the Rocket Bunny kit and a way to install without drilling holes into the aluminum panels.

Since I was 15 I've built show cars and have had the pleasure of working with a lot of good people in the industry. I reached out to someone when I knew I was getting the NSX for the Rocket Bunny kit. In fact I was going to try to have it ready before Sema so it can go there. After seeing pics of the actual kit being mounted, I am not for it anymore. At the end of the kit, the only thing that you are really left with that is original is the roof and the doors. Everything else is gone. It's nice to look at but watch the fad doesn't die out and then you are left with a totally changed up NSX. (wow I think I just answered my own question) lol

Last edited:
Is Steve White a member on here or someone affiliated to a shop? Also, if people have had experience with the GROM or USA Spec adapters, which on is better? or the same? I didn't know about these things, would love to leave the head unit stock and put in one of these units, bluetooth and digital sound from phone, what else do I really need for audio.
If you can forward me information on Steve White that would be great. I would love to do the HID upgrade.

Steve's vendor thread is here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/145502-whiteNSXs-HID-kits?highlight=whitensx
I installed the 4300 K kit and it's great
I also installed a Grom adapter with IPhone/USB/Bluetooth/microphone for hands free. It keeps the OEM head unit but gives you digital sound input and uses the oem controls for tune selection etc.
Warrenw has a great thread on the install if you do a search.
Here's my install in the center console
Grom install.jpg

Speedmaster (Morgan) has some extra LED's. Contact him if you wish to update your interior, corner lights, and DRL's (if you have them).

One of the joys of the fat fives is a large selection of inexpensive tires and the wheel tire combo is the lightest unsprung weight available I believe.

Lots of info on Prime from owners on brake pads if yours are original and feel like they're made of stone.
Contact nsxtasy (Ken Sax) before doing anything. He is an expert on NSX oem brakes.

Feel free to contact me anytime. I've worked on my 91 for 23 years and have been through most of the pitfalls

- - - Updated - - -

One last suggestion.
You can download a free 91 shop manual from the Prime Wiki.
A very useful tool.

Also there are several oem online parts sites so you can price out items etc.
Here's one I use : http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/jsp/catlistallcomp.jsp?inputstate=3&catcgry1=NSX&catcgry2=1991&catcgry3=2DR+NSX&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=&search=All&ListAll=All

Consider spending $50 from ddmtuning instead of Steve's kit. I've had both and they seem about the same, although you do have to drill holes in your plastic caps if you go with ddm. Steve's kit is very nice no doubt but it's not the only option.

Back