• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fuel system upgrade

I have not seen any write up on fuel system upgrade. Ross(STMPO) made a Fuel Pump Assembly upgrade before, but I dont think he was able to put it in market. So, here's what I have on hand: 1200cc injectors, big ass fuel rails, 8AN steel braided lines and fittings, and 450walbro pump, I'm still missing Fuel Regulator.
80069a3cadaf4fe7844a00b969bf93ea.jpg
7009ef9ee14fd258892764d911e06d4a.jpg
647f7bbc4c2027853b62e6636cc03b8b.jpg
feb53c857426846c24fd1279740df55d.jpg
8526d5e36f82069f26756d283cd4b340.jpg
I bought an extra fuel pump assembly and im in the process of upgrading the return line to 1/2 inch to accommodate the 8AN line. The supply will be stock until it leaves the end of the Fuel Pump Assembly. If you have any experience on this, your words of wisdom will be appreciated

I am all for overkill but what wHP and fuel type are you planning this fuel system for?

Dave

Just an FYI that is not the newest Walbro E85 fuel pump that is available, the F90000267 is the better model. The 262 is actually designed for gasoline, so if your intentions are E85 it may be worth looking into. Also test the pump before you put the tank up.

Last edited:
Looks good TECH!

A couple things to consider for the OP:
1) Be especially careful installing the fuel tank with those fittings. Your return looks like it will be really close to hitting the front firewall. I know your supply will clear with that low-profile elbow, but I'm concerned about the return sticking out too far.

2) In addition to testing your pump before you install the tank, I recommend buying a fuel line test kit that includes an AN plug and another plug with a Schrader valve so you can pressurize the lines you made. I think I bought mine from Fragola and it was cheap. I tested each line separately to 150psi in a 5-gallon bucket of water to check for bubbles (the limit of my air compressor), and then I connected all of my components (from the hose connecting to the pump to the hose going back to the tank which included all lines, the rails, injectors, filter, etc) and pressurized those to ~100 psi. I was concerned about too much pressure on the OEM injectors. It seemed to have decent leakdown results without any air hissing, so I was confident of minimal leaks when initially pressurizing with gas.

If you don't have a relay kit yet for your pump, I highly recommend the Racetronix FPWH-009 kit. Mine is wired directly to my alternator now, but I believe your Walbro takes less current than mine at boost pressure.

Good luck!

Dave

Mac, thanks for the reply. So, I swapped out the F90000262 to F90000267. I will be getting the SOS relay kit for the the power supply. For the return, a fitting on the top may be the answer to keep it low clearance, I will try to do it this weekend.

Also, I highly recommend the Racetronix kit to the SOS one. Racetronix is an OE supplier with all the Q/A to go along with it. The wiring, relay, fuse, etc are all high quality. Plus, there are three direct benefits over the SOS kit:

1) Racetronix is cheaper.
2) Racetronix uses 10ga - SOS uses 12ga pump supply wiring.
3) Racetronix goes from your alternator to the relay to pump. SOS power goes from the alternator, to the battery at the front of the car, back to the engine bay fuse box, to the relay to the pump.

My $0.02.

Dave

Are you guys that are running E85 doing anything to address the gas tank? Are you applying a sealer to the inside or just running it as is?

Haven't heard of any issues, so I am running as-is. For what it's worth, after 22 years my tank was spotless inside.

However, I am using Goodridge Teflon fuel lines.

Back