• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ebola

Not really, I'm sure that if your job included issuing lottery winners their prize you would not do much different on you're personal time, now if you know you own the winning ticket that's a different story (as if she was symptomatic and then took a flight, then I would say that's negligible)

Huh?? Handing out lotto winners money is the same as caring for one of the most talked about patients in recent history???
You don't need a hazmat suit to do one of those jobs...one of them you do.

Don't get the comparison???

They're should have been some rules and common sense when it comes to people who have been in contact with such a deadly disease....that's all. I'm sure you wouldn't mind sitting next to her on that flight.......

Probably have worked next to her or maybe currently assisting with her cares, I figured the comparison would make perfect sense considering the good samaritan/empathetic connection you made with this persons mishap and you're financial interest (401k), any how personally being in the medical field, the least of my concerns would be the opinion of one with you're type of thinking. I personally can say that caring for others and assisting them during their condition and to assist them achieve well being/recovery is very satisfying whether it be a self centered person, outstanding citizens or any one in between. It's actually funny (sarcastically sad) to think that there are many that will focus on money over ones life/well being. I apologize if this comes off as confrontational/offensive to any one as that is not my intention, just somehow felt compelled to respond. (Hazmat suits are not protocol by the way)

Last edited:
Not really, I'm sure that if your job included issuing lottery winners their prize you would not do much different on you're personal time, now if you know you own the winning ticket that's a different story (as if she was symptomatic and then took a flight, then I would say that's negligible)

You can test for Ebola prior to showing symptoms, so anyone who cared for this patient should have the common sense to do so prior to jumping on a plane.

Probably have worked next to her or maybe currently assisting with her cares, I figured the comparison would make perfect sense considering the good samaritan/empathetic connection you made with this persons mishap and you're financial interest (401k), any how personally being in the medical field, the least of my concerns would be the opinion of one with you're type of thinking. I personally can say that caring for others and assisting them during their condition and to assist them achieve well being/recovery is very satisfying whether it be a self centered person, outstanding citizens or any one in between. It's actually funny (sarcastically sad) to think that there are many that will focus on money over ones life/well being. I apologize if this comes off as confrontational/offensive to any one as that is not my intention, just somehow felt compelled to respond. (Hazmat suits are not protocol by the way)

Wut?

i am a doc, 18 months from retirement, have no interest in infectious diseases except when they might affect me personally, and am a seeker of truth.
(sort of like Diogenes, which i think irritates the hell out of most people).
i can tell you that Ebola scares the hell out of me and my office buds. any nurse or doc that voluntarily enters the room of an Ebola patient deserves a congressional medal
at this point (or is a moron).

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/10/14/CIDRAP-Confirms-Ebola-Transmittable-by-Air
not sure who these guys are but you will get the idea.

probably the best solution (but it takes them awhile to gear up production).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2268273/

+1

Thank you for your voice of reason. Not surprised it is coming from a real doctor.

On a separate note, not only did Vinson (the second nurse diagnosed with Ebola) KNOW she was sick and spiked a fever of 99.5 prior to flying back to Dallas from Ohio, but she also warned the CDC.

That is right: she was so concerned, she called the CDC and told them she had a fever of 99.5. Do you know what they said? Because her fever was 0.9 degrees below their internally set threshold for concern, they gave her the green light to fly back to Dallas.

WTF!?

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/16/...dc-of-high-temperature-before-boarding-flight

And after the CDC chief said she shouldn't have flown, they decide to fly her BACK across the country for a third time to Bethesda. And during that flight, some higher up at the airline interacted directly with the care workers in plain clothes, and is reported to have handed objects (such as a clipboard) back and forth with those who had direct contact with Vinson.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...a-nurse-board-plane-atlanta-joining-them.html

Tragic but telling video...
<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/109143336" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen=""></iframe> Fighting the Ebola Outbreak, Street by Street from The New York Times - Video on Vimeo.

On another note, just saw the sad story of the SDSU student who died from meningitis and the university is in the process of contacting approx. 400 students she may have come in contact with. Looking at the CDC website in regards to how they define an outbreak of this... "Outbreaks can occur in communities, schools, colleges, prisons and other populations. An outbreak occurs when there are multiple cases in a community or institution over a short period of time. Specifically, an outbreak is defined as three or more cases of the same serogroup ("strain") occurring within three months. Sometimes having just two cases in a school or college can meet the outbreak definition."

I keep seeing stuff like "Is the U.S. Prepared for an Ebola Outbreak?" What I'm wondering is there an official word on what constitutes an "outbreak" or did I miss that?

The natural outbreak doesn't scare me as much as the possibility of Mr.Jihadi sending his menions over to West Africa to contract the disease and act like suicide bombers and really spread this around the world. Granted, it could eventually backfire as it will spread to their populations as well but just think of all the fear and chaos that would invoke!

(Hazmat suits are not protocol by the way)

Requires bio safety level 4

"at this level the use of a positive pressure personnel suit, with a segregated air supply is mandatory. The entrance and exit of a level four biolab will contain multiple showers, a vacuum room, an ultraviolet light room, and other safety precautions designed to destroy all traces of the biohazard. Multiple airlocks are employed and are electronically secured to prevent both doors from opening at the same time. All air and water service going to and coming from a biosafety level 4 (or P4) lab will undergo similar decontamination procedures to eliminate the possibility of an accidental release.

Guess the number of them that are in the states .... If it's what they say it is and they don't already have a cure for its not good.

Last edited:
+1

Thank you for your voice of reason. Not surprised it is coming from a real doctor.

On a separate note, not only did Vinson (the second nurse diagnosed with Ebola) KNOW she was sick and spiked a fever of 99.5 prior to flying back to Dallas from Ohio, but she also warned the CDC.

That is right: she was so concerned, she called the CDC and told them she had a fever of 99.5. Do you know what they said? Because her fever was 0.9 degrees below their internally set threshold for concern, they gave her the green light to fly back to Dallas.

WTF!?

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/16/...dc-of-high-temperature-before-boarding-flight

And after the CDC chief said she shouldn't have flown, they decide to fly her BACK across the country for a third time to Bethesda. And during that flight, some higher up at the airline interacted directly with the care workers in plain clothes, and is reported to have handed objects (such as a clipboard) back and forth with those who had direct contact with Vinson.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...a-nurse-board-plane-atlanta-joining-them.html

Please explain to me why it is fallacious (I'm going to have to try throwing that word around as much as you do) to say that a disease which is certainly quite deadly, but has barely made a ripple in overall deaths in the United States is more concerning than influenza? if you think it is fallacious to dismiss the seventh leading cause of death in the United States and replace it with one that has killed a small handful... perhaps your way of thinking is fallacious?

I'm not dismissing the significance of someone who contracts Ebola. I'm certainly not saying that adequate precautions should not be taken. That would be fallacious.

I'm pointing out that you've apparently bought into the hysteria by placing it above something that kills, year in and year out.

never did answer docjohns question regarding your credentials. I'm a practicing physician, If you want to know mine.

but has barely made a ripple in overall deaths in the United States is more concerning than influenza?

The fallacy in that logic is it doesn't take into account the potential exponential curve of the infection rate. Couple that with the 50-70% death rate....
You could make the same argument of the Bubonic plague. I'm sure on day 30 of its first outbreak, it killed less people than the flu, so why worry....
And then 50 million people die.

This is why it's a big deal:

2014-exponential-growth-of-ebola-update-20140917.png

Thing is Ebola can be stopped in its tracks with proper precautions. I am not saying they are being enforced at the moment (seeing some worrying news coming in) but if it were the case, this out-of-control spread would not happen at all. The means to stop it from spreading from patient zero are available in every developed country, now we have to use them effectively.

guys there are many more factors involved in a pathogen going exponential than just saying it could and posting doubling times....Ebola in our country has a much tougher road at spreading its dna/rna than it does in its ground zero....but please take what I say with a grain of translocase...I'm only a nsxprime doctor.....

The fallacy in that logic is it doesn't take into account the potential exponential curve of the infection rate. Couple that with the 50-70% death rate....
You could make the same argument of the Bubonic plague. I'm sure on day 30 of its first outbreak, it killed less people than the flu, so why worry....
And then 50 million people die.

This is why it's a big deal:

2014-exponential-growth-of-ebola-update-20140917.png

You realize that's the "potential" infection rate of pretty much every bug out there if unchecked, right? That's nothing new, and has been the case since mankind caught his first cold.

guys there are many more factors involved in a pathogen going exponential than just saying it could and posting doubling times....Ebola in our country has a much tougher road at spreading its dna/rna than it does in its ground zero....but please take what I say with a grain of translocase...I'm only a nsxprime doctor.....

I thought you were a dentist??

Please explain to me why it is fallacious (I'm going to have to try throwing that word around as much as you do) to say that a disease which is certainly quite deadly, but has barely made a ripple in overall deaths in the United States is more concerning than influenza? if you think it is fallacious to dismiss the seventh leading cause of death in the United States and replace it with one that has killed a small handful... perhaps your way of thinking is fallacious?

I'm not dismissing the significance of someone who contracts Ebola. I'm certainly not saying that adequate precautions should not be taken. That would be fallacious.

I'm pointing out that you've apparently bought into the hysteria by placing it above something that kills, year in and year out.

never did answer docjohns question regarding your credentials. I'm a practicing physician, If you want to know mine.

It's already been explained why it is fallacious. No need to reiterate because it is clear you are being purposely obtuse. But for those too lazy to look at my original post:

1. Influenza and Ebola are two completely different diseases, and aren't even tangentially related. To lesson the severity of Ebola by comparing it to Influenza (wherein the only comparison you are making is the absolute number of people who have died from each) is as ABSURD as reducing the severity of any disease by comparing it to heart disease or cancer, let alone one that is undergoing the largest outbreak in its history and has just recently jumped continents for the first time.

2. Influenza can be deadly to infants and the elderly, and those in a pre-weakened state. But for a healthy adult, it is nowhere near as dangerous. Ebola has a death rate of as high as 90%+. Even those who receive proper treatment face a death rate of over 60%. Nearly everyone on this board has had the flu in their lifetime, and has suffered no lasting effects from it. Now, when we are all old and weak (probably from reading this post), and we get the flu, that may lead to us dying. But that in no way justifies reducing the importance of exercising reasonable caution with Ebola.

It is an OBJECTIVELY bad comparison. There is no room for argument here. Move on to your next ridiculous insult, like how you think "fallacious" was overused when it is the most appropriate term to describe the analogy. [btw, I used it twice in a post, wherein the second use of the term was purposely used to reference the first use. You used it four times in your post].

To address your other logical missteps, Ebola has barely made a ripple in the overall number of deaths in the US THUS FAR. The first case of Ebola on US soil in the HISTORY OF MANKIND occurred only a few months ago with Brantley and his nurse (August IIRC). The first case of an infection being flown in despite screening measures in was in September (Duncan). The first case of a live transmission was either that month, or the next in October (Pham + Vinson). The first case of a possible secondary transmission was in the same period of time, wherein Vinson was allowed to fly AFTER having been infected with Ebola (cross-country 2 times). By comparison, Influenza has been here for centuries, and has infected nearly every individual in the US (or will) in their life.

That is because we are "being hysteric" as you call it, and taking reasonable precautions. (BTW, calling people who are being rather reasonable as "hysterical" is a mix of an ad hominem and a strawman argument.) If Ebola were to become as widespread as Influenza, if it were to become "airborne", we would all be royally screwed. If you, as a doctor, do not believe that, then I suggest you consider another profession. The CDC already estimates that in 2014-2015, we will have 1 MILLION+ cases of Ebola in West Africa after correcting for underreporting. If you do not think that is reason for concern, again, enjoy whatever your practice is, because it is nowhere near real medicine. Unless you are an expert in infectious diseases, epidemiology, etc., I don't think your LASIK/Podiatry/etc. practice qualifies you as an expert. And to address why I even asked if the other guy was a real doctor, it was because he made an ABSURD comparison to Dengue Fever which has a death rate of under 5% and was just utterly stupid to bring up.

Should we worry about it becoming airborne? No. No one needs to panic, but you cannot rule that out as a possibility. No one can, including the leading scientists in the world. We can reduce it to a certain probability, but there is NO algorithm or statistical analysis out there that can fully account for the STOCHASTIC replication of the viral genome. The Reston Strain was a new mutation that occurred in the 90s, and luckily, that strain only affected simians. But you can see, by that example, how NEW mutations are entirely possible and can lead to wide-reaching outbreaks in even the United States.

Now that we've checked those off our list, our biggest concern should be human error, as repeatedly demonstrated by the CDC and the hospital in Dallas. Human error (sending a patient home who complained about Ebola-like symptoms and traveled from Liberia; two nurses becoming infected despite all precautions taken; and a nurse traveling across the country twice even after alerting the CDC to her fever after working on an Ebola patient) is enough to justify reasonable caution.

And we do not need absolute deaths to be concerned. Infections alone are enough to justify concern, as are the MILLIONS of dollars being wasted where this entire situation was preventable. You wouldn't have to spend this money on special cleanup crews, isolation units, etc. every time someone spiked a fever or vomited had you just shut down the 100-150 flights coming in from three West African countries daily; or at the very least, put those fliers through a more thorough examination process with a mandatory self-imposed isolation/monitoring period for at least the incubation period of Ebola before they flew.

It is now estimated that up to three Ebola-infected persons will fly out of these West African countries each month, which will increase over time if the infection continues to spread.

ANYONE, on either side of this argument, who asserts they know precisely what will happen is being arrogant. Tom Frieden (head of the CDC) has already demonstrated his hubris, and has already been demonstrated empirically to be absolutely wrong about how controllable this disease is.

To sum up:

Discussing a topic does not make someone hysterical simply because they take a different position than you do.

Reducing a situation's severity by making invalid comparisons is unreasonable, as are personal attacks that are misplaced themselves.

For the case of Ebola, the CDC and our healthcare providers have demonstrated negligence. By the technical definition of the term, we have already had an "outbreak" in Dallas, which was completely preventable. Duncan should have never been sent home the first time. He actually should have never been able to fly from Liberia to the US, overnight, without any other precautions than having his temperature taken by an IR thermometer and a self-reported exit survey (which he lied on).

Addressing these concerns, shooting down stupid comparisons like to Dengue fever and influenza, and correcting several people about how Ebola is transmitted (e.g. while not "airborne", can be transmitted via droplets in the air) is not "hysterical." It actually sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Since you are a doctor, I'm going to take it you already know where the nearest burn unit is.

Last edited:
You realize that's the "potential" infection rate of pretty much every bug out there if unchecked, right? That's nothing new, and has been the case since mankind caught his first cold.

There's two big differences.
1. There's no mass produced cure(yet).
2. There's a high death rate(percentage)

If every bug out there had these two properties, we would be having black plagues every year.
This is rare. This is the reason the entire world is worried.
This is the reason people wear space suits when dealing with it.

I could be wrong, I know the media and CDC is telling everyone not to worry about it, maybe I just don't get it.
I agree the odds are we'll all be fine.
But there are odds(I don't know what they are) that this could be extremely bad too.

Last edited:
Just saw this:"Washington (AFP) - A US patient who has asked to remain anonymous has recovered from the Ebola virus and was released from the hospital, Emory University Healthcare said on Monday. The man was infected with Ebola while in Sierra Leone and was airlifted with the aid of the US State Department to the Atlanta, Georgia hospital on September. The patient "was discharged from the hospital on October 19," the hospital said.link: http://news.yahoo.com/another-us-patient-recovers-ebola-205800287.html

There's two big differences.
1. There's no mass produced cure(yet).
2. There's a high death rate(percentage)

If every bug out there had these two properties, we would be having black plagues every year.
This is rare. This is the reason the entire world is worried.
This is the reason people wear space suits when dealing with it.

I could be wrong, I know the media and CDC is telling everyone not to worry about it, maybe I just don't get it.
I agree the odds are we'll all be fine.
But there are odds(I don't know what they are) that this could be extremely bad too.

I'm not saying not to worry... i'm saying don't drink the koolaid. There's no real cure for the flu...or any other number of deadly diseases. Hanta virus made plenty of headlies a few years ago... SARS, avian flu virus etc... some of them in INCREDIBLY densely populated areas. They are still problematic, but haven't resulted in widespread US infections.. and some of those diseases are incredibly infectious... more so than ebola (though not necessarily as deadly). You can have something with 100% fatalities... but if its not truly airborn, it's not likely to create a huge issue. If ebola was as infectious as the common cold... well, then we'd have some real issues.

It's already been explained why it is fallacious. No need to reiterate because it is clear you are being purposely obtuse. But for those too lazy to look at my original post:

1. Influenza and Ebola are two completely different diseases, and aren't even tangentially related. To lesson the severity of Ebola by comparing it to Influenza (wherein the only comparison you are making is the absolute number of people who have died from each) is as ABSURD as reducing the severity of any disease by comparing it to heart disease or cancer, let alone one that is undergoing the largest outbreak in its history and has just recently jumped continents for the first time.

2. Influenza can be deadly to infants and the elderly, and those in a pre-weakened state. But for a healthy adult, it is nowhere near as dangerous. Ebola has a death rate of as high as 90%+. Even those who receive proper treatment face a death rate of over 60%. Nearly everyone on this board has had the flu in their lifetime, and has suffered no lasting effects from it. Now, when we are all old and weak (probably from reading this post), and we get the flu, that may lead to us dying. But that in no way justifies reducing the importance of exercising reasonable caution with Ebola.

It is an OBJECTIVELY bad comparison. There is no room for argument here. Move on to your next ridiculous insult, like how you think "fallacious" was overused when it is the most appropriate term to describe the analogy. [btw, I used it twice in a post, wherein the second use of the term was purposely used to reference the first use. You used it four times in your post].

To address your other logical missteps, Ebola has barely made a ripple in the overall number of deaths in the US THUS FAR. The first case of Ebola on US soil in the HISTORY OF MANKIND occurred only a few months ago with Brantley and his nurse (August IIRC). The first case of an infection being flown in despite screening measures in was in September (Duncan). The first case of a live transmission was either that month, or the next in October (Pham + Vinson). The first case of a possible secondary transmission was in the same period of time, wherein Vinson was allowed to fly AFTER having been infected with Ebola (cross-country 2 times). By comparison, Influenza has been here for centuries, and has infected nearly every individual in the US (or will) in their life.

That is because we are "being hysteric" as you call it, and taking reasonable precautions. (BTW, calling people who are being rather reasonable as "hysterical" is a mix of an ad hominem and a strawman argument.) If Ebola were to become as widespread as Influenza, if it were to become "airborne", we would all be royally screwed. If you, as a doctor, do not believe that, then I suggest you consider another profession. The CDC already estimates that in 2014-2015, we will have 1 MILLION+ cases of Ebola in West Africa after correcting for underreporting. If you do not think that is reason for concern, again, enjoy whatever your practice is, because it is nowhere near real medicine. Unless you are an expert in infectious diseases, epidemiology, etc., I don't think your LASIK/Podiatry/etc. practice qualifies you as an expert. And to address why I even asked if the other guy was a real doctor, it was because he made an ABSURD comparison to Dengue Fever which has a death rate of under 5% and was just utterly stupid to bring up.

Should we worry about it becoming airborne? No. No one needs to panic, but you cannot rule that out as a possibility. No one can, including the leading scientists in the world. We can reduce it to a certain probability, but there is NO algorithm or statistical analysis out there that can fully account for the STOCHASTIC replication of the viral genome. The Reston Strain was a new mutation that occurred in the 90s, and luckily, that strain only affected simians. But you can see, by that example, how NEW mutations are entirely possible and can lead to wide-reaching outbreaks in even the United States.

Now that we've checked those off our list, our biggest concern should be human error, as repeatedly demonstrated by the CDC and the hospital in Dallas. Human error (sending a patient home who complained about Ebola-like symptoms and traveled from Liberia; two nurses becoming infected despite all precautions taken; and a nurse traveling across the country twice even after alerting the CDC to her fever after working on an Ebola patient) is enough to justify reasonable caution.

And we do not need absolute deaths to be concerned. Infections alone are enough to justify concern, as are the MILLIONS of dollars being wasted where this entire situation was preventable. You wouldn't have to spend this money on special cleanup crews, isolation units, etc. every time someone spiked a fever or vomited had you just shut down the 100-150 flights coming in from three West African countries daily; or at the very least, put those fliers through a more thorough examination process with a mandatory self-imposed isolation/monitoring period for at least the incubation period of Ebola before they flew.

It is now estimated that up to three Ebola-infected persons will fly out of these West African countries each month, which will increase over time if the infection continues to spread.

ANYONE, on either side of this argument, who asserts they know precisely what will happen is being arrogant. Tom Frieden (head of the CDC) has already demonstrated his hubris, and has already been demonstrated empirically to be absolutely wrong about how controllable this disease is.

To sum up:

Discussing a topic does not make someone hysterical simply because they take a different position than you do.

Reducing a situation's severity by making invalid comparisons is unreasonable, as are personal attacks that are misplaced themselves.

For the case of Ebola, the CDC and our healthcare providers have demonstrated negligence. By the technical definition of the term, we have already had an "outbreak" in Dallas, which was completely preventable. Duncan should have never been sent home the first time. He actually should have never been able to fly from Liberia to the US, overnight, without any other precautions than having his temperature taken by an IR thermometer and a self-reported exit survey (which he lied on).

Addressing these concerns, shooting down stupid comparisons like to Dengue fever and influenza, and correcting several people about how Ebola is transmitted (e.g. while not "airborne", can be transmitted via droplets in the air) is not "hysterical." It actually sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Since you are a doctor, I'm going to take it you already know where the nearest burn unit is.

I'll start off by saying your last comment made me chuckle.

I'll point out that you are arguing with two practicing doctors. In fact, you called docjohn's argument "stupid," and told me to go back to my LASIK practice.

I've only got 15 years of experience in the ICU taking care of patients with practically every infectious agent we normally see in the USA, so perhaps I don't meet your required level of expertise. I don't know what docjohn's area is, or his experience level. I haven't authored any Ebola papers, but i'll wager you haven't either. And since you keep avoiding the request for your "credentials" all i can think is you either don't have any to speak of, beyond an ability to read yahoo news, or I don't have the required Delta Level 12 NSA clearance required to know that you are on the leading edge of the Elite Ebola Containment Team. Ok, enough with the facetious stuff... onward we go...

The difference between my viewpoint and the majority of the uneducated public probably includes thinking outside the box. Most people seem to see on the news "up to 90 percent fatality" and see guys in moon suits running around... and immediately start yelling about armageddon. HIV was the same way. Except the fatality rate was 99 percent. You are talking about ebola jumping continents, and inferring by tone and grammar that it did it due to some new variation or evolution of the virus. Perhaps you didn't mean it that way, but that's the inference. We both know it moved because someone made a calculated risk and allowed an infected person to come over. Not the best maneuver, but those decisions are made above our pay grade, so...

1. I realize the ebola and influenza are not related, genomically. The reason it's brought up is to illustrate that other devastating diseases with higher infectious rates, over deaths, and levels of transmission are around and have not garnered the attention or hysteria being brought on by Ebola. Which is more concerning overall? Something that is very transmissible with a relatively low death rate (but kills more people overall), or something less likely to spread with a higher fatality incidence? I guess that one is a personal preference type of thing.

You mentioned it doesn't justify reducing reason
able caution with Ebola. All your saying there is that you agree with me. Thanks for that. Glad to see you'll agree with someone who doesn't practice real medicine by your definition.

Regarding my next ridiculous argument, where I think fallacious is overused, and you point out I used it 4 times vs. your using it twice..
Ok, apparently your ability to sense sarcasm is broken. I even stated, in the intro to my post, that i would use that word as much as possible. I can't believe you are making a point of saying "Well, you used it twice as much as me!!" You're forgetting your audience. This is a CAR FORUM. I'll admit the reduction in apparent intelligence in posts is irritating as people use grammar and spelling worse than any 8 year old, but not many people go onto a car forum and want to read posts that come off as pretentious, which is how you do when you purposely try to make yourself sound more important by inserting words like that. Yes, you sound educated. Great. I'm glad you don't dumb down your posts like most of America.

My next logical misstep, making note of overall deaths... I don't know if you're purposely focusing on the high death rate with ebola, and ignoring all other factors, or you really believe that any infectious agent that has a high death rate is worse than something that is in the top ten for US deaths. CJ Disease has an effective kill rate of 100% and is infectious. No one really knows how its transmitted. But the rate of transmission is low enough and the cases are rare enough it doesn't make headlines (anymore). What DocJohn pointed out specifically, as did I, is that there are other factors to consider. Fatal? Yes. Scary? Sure. Do i want it? No. But unless it's as transmissible as the media is making it sound (it isn't), then it is unlikely to become a huge issue. Consider the countries of origin. Poor central government control, poor medical care. Minimal precautions. But I'll wager they still own cars and fly planes around their own countries. If the fatality rate is as high as it is, how is it that 80-90% of the countries haven't been wiped out already? Ebola certainly isn't new over there. That should tell any reasonable person, even someone not in medicine, that the rate of transmission isn't that high. When you add to that discussion the centralized stable infrastructure, improved medical care and use of technology in the developed world.. your chances of having an epidemic are decreased further.

If you prefer, we can simply agree to disagree here. That's up to you. I'll admit even i got tired of arguing with people who thought (and still think) vaccines caused autism. It's like discussing politics and abortion sometimes. I eventually just let them be content with whatever knowledge and viewpoint they like, since i'd rather spend my time more productively elsewhere.

I thought you were a dentist??

That's me. :biggrin:

The most recent statistics I've read on the topic state that more people have married and divorced Kim Kardashian than have died from Ebola. So we're safe.

That's me. :biggrin:

The most recent statistics I've read on the topic state that more people have married and divorced Kim Kardashian than have died from Ebola. So we're safe.

Yeah, but who said she was done? :wink: :biggrin:

Thanks peiserg.....It is disappointing to me that an intelligent seeming poster like ksxnsx needs to insult his fellow primates discussing OT stuff......Oh well I will always give my opinions when we discuss health related issues....and that is all any of us has online..opinions.I think every primer should be watching monsters inside me.......then ebola would command less shock and awe.....btw nice use of a prion......I'll have to pick:wink: your brain someday..

- - - Updated - - -

this short article seems to have a slightly optimistic tone....http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/why-ebola-hasn%e2%80%99t-really-spread-across-west-africa/ar-BBaC7Na

Back