• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Blue Aluminum wrap project

very cool. How much to "unwrap" when you're finished? Or can you just place another color wrap over original wrap?

very cool. How much to "unwrap" when you're finished? Or can you just place another color wrap over original wrap?

Good question. I haven't crossed that bridge yet. They will need to remove the original wrap for sure. My car had a clear bra material installed which needed to be removed first. Otherwise you will see the underlaying layer or imperfections through the new vinyl. Maybe I'll bring the car out to the Xmas dinner this year.

The ability to change color quickly & inexpensively has arrived (just like swapping out wheels) :biggrin:

Was quoted $300 to remove by almost every shop...seems to be the going rate.

Install quotes are anywhere from $2000 - $3600

Btw, I'm dying to see the finished product!!! Where are the pics??? Can't wait!!!

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

Almost done...some carbon fiber goodies added. Car should be done this weekend once we get some new tires mounted. Stay tuned...

Last edited:
Wrap looks great, detail ring to the hub cap a nice touch, any thoughts to refinish the Stoptechs to blue ... wold set the new rims off perfectly IMHO .... looking forward to seeing the finished project ...

WRT unwrapping .... the best way Ive seen it done is to roll car into a spray booth, turn the temperature up and 'roll' the vinyl off the bodywork. Only learned this after I did my own DIY.
But be warned, for OEM factory paint on the NSX you are unlikely to have any issues. Mine was wrapped in 3M for almost 4yrs and came off fine. Where you may have issues is any aftermarket paint, ie repainted bumpers, these are highly likely to let go off some laquer or even paint depending on the quality of the underlying paint work.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

When the car was Berlina Black, you could not notice the beautiful lines of the NSX. I have always envied the guys with Imola, LBBP, GPW colors because of their natural ability to reveal the exotic lines of the NSX. Can't wait to get the blue aluminum out into direct sunlight.

Last edited:
Still waiting for a wrap that has the depth of paint. They all just look like wrap to me. As long as you don't want depth, I guess this works. I need to see this in person to decide. I have never heard of a shop removing panels though. Has to be a better job than most I've seen.

View attachment 117623

View attachment 117624

View attachment 117625
View attachment 117626

When the car was Berlina Black, you could not notice the beautiful lines of the NSX. I have always envied the guys with Imola, LBBP, GPW colors because of their natural ability to reveal the exotic lines of the NSX. Can't wait to get the blue aluminum out into direct sunlight.

Looking good...can't wait to see it out in the sun on its normal stance.....i think some blue calipers would look great.

My car went through a $8K paint job after doing the '02 conversion. Seven years later it needs another respray. I will eventually spend the dough to properly repainted it again in the future. But for now, a vinyl wrap has been shown to help protect the existing paint job (ie. clear bra) or cover up all the flaws (in my case) for 1/4th the price. It's completely reversible (my installer does not cut the vinyl on the car's body), washes like normal, lasts 5-7 years (car parked indoors), and comes in unlimited range of colors & finishes. When looking up close, the quality of a professional vinyl wrap will be hard to distinguish from a paint job. There have been other NSXs on prime that are wrapped, maybe they can also chime in here.

I'm curious as to why your car 'needs another respray' after only 7 years? What is wrong with the paint? A good quality job with modern paint should last as long or longer than OEM paint, and we all know there's plenty of mint looking 91 NSX's with original paint still around.

The results of your wrap look very unique and interesting, if we all did the same things with our NSXs it would be quite boring!

Answer: she was driven!
Five years of tracking the car, 156K, not a garage queen or show car.

Answer: she was driven!
Five years of tracking the car, 156K, not a garage queen or show car.

BKzLu_zps75a7e1a2.gif

VERY interested in direct sunlight pictures. My car is currently plastidipped matte black but I HATE how it looks up close in direct sunlight.

Roger that!...tentatively scheduled to pick up my car this Friday. Just in time for NCRC track day this Saturday @ Thunderhill if anyone wants to come out and play.

I found the wrap to be easy maintenance ... soapy water, leather, done ... none of this hours of cleaning, 2 bucket process and it was pretty good at resisting rock chips ... admitedly, as Id chosen white it was easy to touch-up with some office tipex which then cleaned away when the wrap was removed.

Finished job looks unique, just like the grey, blue and green individual examples (painted I know) ... I would still change caliper color but thats just my opinion. Hope it brings you much pleasure andkeep up the mileage!

regards, Paul

My decision to share my vinyl wrap experience was to help those members on the fence to see how good it can turn out. This is not a debate of paint versus wrap. Having done both now, it is much easier to care for the vinyl compared to keeping a black car clean.

My decision to share my vinyl wrap experience was to help those members on the fence to see how good it can turn out. This is not a debate of paint versus wrap. Having done both now, it is much easier to care for the vinyl compared to keeping a black car clean.

Looks great!! I'm sure even better in person....I'm no longer on the fence, I just can't figure out what color to do..or which shop to use....so many colors to chose from....still leaning towards the satin white...

To me I think the wrap is a no brainier for those who want to do a color change and still keep the car oem, which is a must with a car like the NSX ... It is definitely a booming business as it was well represented at SEMA.

The blue chrome Rocket Bunny NSX made the cover page of msn.com yesterday......

image.jpg

Last edited:
^That blue chrome wrap is very popular right now (search youtube), and looks even better in person. Satin white pearl was my first choice for the NSX.

Back