• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY - NavPod Garmin GPS with Wireless Backup Camera Project

Hello everyone,

My old Pioneer DVD GPS system just doesn’t meet today’s need and speed. I’ve been thinking of changing this but have not found something that fits my purpose. My must haves are backup camera capability but the ease of installation, size, lifetime map & traffic, etc. With the new Garmin 2798LMT 7" with Wireless Backup Camera, I began my project.

I had a few obstacles, making sure I can run a separate cigarette outlet from the c911 outlet. Thanks to all the DIY’er, I was able to get this done with ease. Next was to ensure I can get good map signal. I tested the Garmin behind the NavPod and was able to get great reception. Another was to be able to get traffic signal, which did not work well. I went and purchased a traffic signal extender which work great. So there are the capability of enlarge storage with MicroSDHC, another extension was purchased. And of course, the USB connection for map updates, well, yes, another extension. With these extension, I now able to update the map without removing the Navpod but in order to add MicroSDHC, I will still need to remove the NavPod but that probably will not happen too often.

What I thought to be the most difficult turn out to be the easiest, the backup camera. This Garmin camera was the easiest I’ve ever seen. I don't need to go through all the grommet to get through the firewall, that might be easy for someone else but I just didn't want to go through that process. The wireless camera, although not as clear as solid connection but it beats having to put in so much work and I'm happy with the resoluiton of the output. Install the camera at the license plate spot then run the wire through the hole I have pictured. Then make sure to caulk it well so no water leak. Then all you have to do is tap into the live feed on the reverse lamp and ground the other wire to any screw that’s attached to the raw body. Connect the wireless transmitter and then place the transmitter next to the rear lamps snuggly or tape it if you want, mine was nice and snugged. Put all the carpet back and done! Note, don’t expect the backup camera going to be HD sharp, it’s not but it does server the job.

So with all these consideration, I began my assembly. Literally caulk everything together slowly. I’m no perfection so as long as it’s stable, I’m a happy camper! Here are all the pictures of my project and while I had the trunk open, I had hidden my amp on the side of the trunk so its stealth.

Enjoy!

Amazing what caulking can do!

P1040471_zpse3df4720.jpg

Traffice signal extension
P1040470_zpsff9add06.jpg

90 degree angle USB connector

P1040469_zpscb2061e2.jpg

MicroSDHC extension

P1040468_zps9c2408eb.jpg

Extra cigarette lighter connection from C911 fuse under dash

P1040465_zps810d6adc.jpg

Here's how I used the magic of caulking. It doesn't look neat actually looks pretty ugly but it does the job very well and it gives so it's not stiff.

P1040538_zps3d714e64.jpg

P1040539_zps76edf5be.jpg

P1040537_zpsa60c8795.jpg

P1040536_zps71d7d608.jpg

Wireless camera mounted around license plate area

P1040452_zps3ae87853.jpg

Pass through hole from rear, remember to caulk it

P1040451_zps390d9c17.jpg

Wire coming in from inside trunk

P1040453_zps0ac80445.jpg

Power from reverse light and make sure to ground

P1040447_zps20bc8bc7.jpg

Connect the wireless transmitter and mount to rear panel, mine just fit snuggly without any taping. See ground screw to raw metal.

P1040456_zps7faad199.jpg

P1040455_zps190c30d5.jpg

While I have the rear all opened, I move the amp so it hidden behind the carpet

P1040457_zps1f8bf8d9.jpg

Finish project!

P1040459_zpsf522f37f.jpg

P1040461_zpscec75747.jpg
P1040464_zpsa9b1bbae.jpg

Revese automatically switch to backup camera

P1040463_zps1ab96ba4.jpg

P1040462_zpsd51ad18d.jpg

I guess this is the lazy man's way of getting something very difficult done in an easy way.

Last edited:
Very nice diy. Ive been wanting to do the same setup for a while but didnt know if the gps would fit. Did you just use calk to attach the gps onto the nav pod? Any behind the pod pictures?

Looks good.

BTL3.0,

Thanks, it was quite easy once you have everything. The fitting is off a little since the width is less than the NavPod but the gap is useful to allow the speaker sound to be heard a lot better. I tried fully enclosed, it's harder to hear the speaker. Yes, I use caulking behind it but I use some cushioning so it doesn't rattle with plastic to plastic scratching noise basically tighten it up a little. I'll get a picture of that shortly.

frankie

- - - Updated - - -

BTL3.0,

Photos added.

Frankie

That look great. Thanks for the pictures. This gave ne more assurances to go ahead and do mine like it.

Lambchop, looks great! You have given me the added inspiration in realizing this is the one mod I definitely need to tackle. Anyone have a NavPod for sale??

I've contemplated this for a while. I was using my Nexus 7 for this purpose but couldn't find an adequate charging solution without tearing into the back of the tablet. Thanks for posting

You're welcome bee_are_bee. I too thought about the Nexus but the thought of having to have my MiFi there all the time just kills me. I just need a standalone GPS and this want serves me well.

Frankie

You're welcome bee_are_bee. I too thought about the Nexus but the thought of having to have my MiFi there all the time just kills me. I just need a standalone GPS and this want serves me well.

Frankie
Unless you want real time traffic or the use of an app such as Waze a network connection isn't necessary. The Nexus 7 has a built in GPS receiver. I downloaded CoPilot Live for $8 and downloaded all the maps I needed. Worked like a charm. No network required.

Good to know. I do use the traffic quite often although it's hit or miss. I live in NY, so traffic suck here. :mad:

I originally was going to use the nexus 7 for my setup. Problem is that if you wear polarized sunglasses you won't be able to see the screen when it's in landscape mode.

That's why I went with the Garmin.

What type of connection is used for the backup camera? RCA and a trigger wire to reverse lights?

Has anyone tried to run a video signal into it?

Angus, no connection since its wireless. It's definitely not HD connection. Maybe checking their website would give you more info.

frankie

Just bought a Nav Pod. Should get it on Saturday. Been doing a lot of searching on prime on Nav systems. Alpine, kenwood, the nexus. I love this way. Nav, camera, Simple clean, Factory looking. Can you say any negatives with the system. Can you turn it in or off manually or is it always on when the car is on. Any info would be good. I've been spoiled by my daily driver Acura TLS by its nav and camera. That camera makes parking so much easier in reverse which I do a lot. An exact list of everything and if there is one good store to get them would be great too. I always use ebay but a store where you can get them all in one shot and not wait for shipping is even better. Best buy? or wal mart? maybe

Last edited:
Very cool. Nice job.

Frankie, loved your install and DIY. GREAT JOB!

I just got my Nuvi 2798 today and did the install. I hardwired the unit up front.

One thing I found was I was able use the same pass through grommet that the license plate lights used;

The install was extremely simple and straight forward;

I hid my receiver in a different spot, closer to the corner of the car, I think it fit really well there;

Just did mine too! Love it!

I'm going to be honest with you guys. I've never ever done anything like this. So this really means a lot to me that I'm able to contribute to this community as so many have helped me.

I'm glad all of you like this DIY install.

Frankie

For those of you that have done this, how did you run the wires past the air duct? Also, with the SOS bracket does the Navpod move slightly when you push on it? I've been doing a mock up with no screen installed yet and the pod moves slightly when I push on it. It seems like the bottom clips are catching or something.

wires can be routed through the side of central air duct. I routed from the left side.

navpod does move ever so slightly but not too much. The hardest part was to get the screws to catch the mounting clips on the SOS bracket and tighten it with a stubby philip screw driver. But once they are tightened they should stay in place pretty well.

Frankie, loved your install and DIY. GREAT JOB!

I just got my Nuvi 2798 today and did the install. I hardwired the unit up front.

One thing I found was I was able use the same pass through grommet that the license plate lights used;
How did you get the wire through the pass through? It seems like it's a pretty tight fit. Did you have to remove the rear bumper cover to access?

How did you get the wire through the pass through? It seems like it's a pretty tight fit. Did you have to remove the rear bumper cover to access?

Nothing was removed, but I honestly don’t remember it was so long ago. I believe I just went slowly and slid worked the wire through the grommet though

Nothing was removed, but I honestly don’t remember it was so long ago. I believe I just went slowly and slid worked the wire through the grommet though

Did you have to remove the rear bumper to run the wire through the grommet or is there enough room to work?

Back