• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2016 NSX to cost same as r8?

Why should the comparison of the electronics of a 2005 NSX to a 2003 RS6 be "crazy"? The only thing that's crazy about the comparison is that the NSX electronics suck compared to the two year older Audi.....lol. My 2003 RS6 sedan that weighs at least 1000lbs more than the NSX will embarrass it in every performance comparison except for cornering.

The NSX was an awesome platform in its day. I'll always have mine and I truly enjoy every minute I'm driving it or even just looking at it in the garage. But c'mon, be realistic when comparing it to other cars. Audi is probably putting out the best cars in the world right now. Honda/Acura has some pretty big shoes to fill with the new NSX that they have been releasing for how many years now? From V8 to V10 and now back to a V6 they have flip flopped on this new car and in my opinion embarrassed themselves in the process. They really better bring their A Game since the next gen R8 is possibly going to have the twin turbo RS7 motor which is running 10 sec 1/4 mile times in an almost 4000lb car.

I just recently sold my Cayenne S and picked up an MDX.....which one of those do you think is a more solid car?

I believe just like anything else it's all about personal preference. If I had to choose between a 2005 nsx and a 2003 rs6, I would absolutely without a doubt in my mind pick the nsx for many reasons. Off the top of my head those reasons include: timeless design, rarity, reliability, driving experience, resale value, did I mention timeless design?
:biggrin:

If you believe the R8 to be so great, then why didn't you buy an R8 instead of the late model NSX?

I don't like the looks of the R8 then and still don't like it now for the new one. I don't care if it drives faster or better than the 20+ year old NSX as you could put both cars next to each other and the NSX would make me more excited by virtue. I could care less if a group of peers have a hard-on for the Audi and said my NSX was a Ferrari knock-off. If the R8 is so much better, than why aren't you all buying a used one as their prices are not too far from the 2002+ NSX for a 08-09 R8 4.2?

I love the rarity of the NSX, and especially the Imola orange car I purchased. but before I found it I was looking at R8's with the V8. it's a superior car to a late model NSX. but the NSX was my first favourite car, and still is my favourite of all time, and always will be. call it first love if you will. unfortunately I don't feel like this new model will have the same impact as the original.

I'll keep this car forever, because of its legacy.

but I wouldn't hesitate to pick up an R8 in the future. I don't care if the parts came from 12 different manufacturers, it has a very unique personality and it is absolutely it's own car. it doesn't drive like a Lamborghini or a lesser Audi. and there's probably a reason so many former NSX owners drive R8's...

I love the rarity of the NSX, and especially the Imola orange car I purchased. but before I found it I was looking at R8's with the V8. it's a superior car to a late model NSX. but the NSX was my first favourite car, and still is my favourite of all time, and always will be. call it first love if you will. unfortunately I don't feel like this new model will have the same impact as the original.

I'll keep this car forever, because of its legacy.

but I wouldn't hesitate to pick up an R8 in the future. I don't care if the parts came from 12 different manufacturers, it has a very unique personality and it is absolutely it's own car. it doesn't drive like a Lamborghini or a lesser Audi. and there's probably a reason so many former NSX owners drive R8's...

For me, the legacy of the original NSX is just icing on the cake, but the result or product speaks for itself, especially if it still commands my interest after 7+ years of ownership across 2 different model years. You can't quite explain it either, but you chose the NSX over the R8 yourself.

I wouldn't go far as to say so many former NSX owners switch to the R8. I think most ventured to the Ferrari and some go Lambo or Ford GT side and often come back. I personally believe the Audi love is more social hype more than actual substance. I like BMW's overall offers better than Audi personally.

People have different preference and I'm not offended if you believe the R8 is a better car than the new NSX. I personally believe the new one is and will be better. It looks better and has the original's Legacy behind it. It will have more original and unique parts designed specifically for the NSX. Also talks of a lesser model that may be purer without the SH-AWD may come to fruition.

It's all subjective tho. So not directly towards you or NA1MT, but don't get offended when I point out details about a car that aren't exactly full-on opinion. I may not like it, but don't make it out like I'm ignorantly bashing the car.

Last edited:
Audi and Porsche are still moving cars like it's no one's business. I'm not too sure a lot of people are really into the whole Hybrid supercar just yet, even a lot of people on this site aren't. personally if I were shopping in that price range, I'd just buy the car I liked best. the hybrid technology doesn't mean anything to me. I'd probably have bought a Prius already if it did...

But that's the whole point of the NSX hybrid-- to make a sports car that's ahead of the curve (NSX) as opposed to being a car of the moment (Audi). Things that are hugely popular are generally "of the moment" and not very forward looking. The original NSX contained many innovations and world's firsts in a car. The same cannot be said of the R8. As the Edmonds comparison of the NSX to R8 said, "The R8 has a similar feel, but can't match the NSX's original brilliance."

- - - Updated - - -

I personally believe the Audi love is more social hype more than actual substance.

+1. Watch this video to get a sense of the demographic Audi is aiming for....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA99k3Cg7mc

I see upper middle class white people who like....

Hip hop
Indie bands
Craft cocktails
Microbrew beer
Outdoor lounge/bar
Tattoos
Interesting hats
Cupcakes

The video is just loaded with every trendy thing imaginable. But the luxury car being promoted (the new A3) is based on the VW Jetta. Fully loaded this fancy Jetta costs $45,000. If Acura attempted to sell a Civic derived vehicle for $45,000 they'd be heavily criticized, but Audi gets a free pass. While I'm not suggesting it's a bad car, my point is that social credibility goes a long ways towards swaying what many like to believe are otherwise mostly rational opinions. Audi is cool, Acura is not.

Last edited:
But that's the whole point of the NSX hybrid-- to make a sports car that's ahead of the curve (NSX) as opposed to being a car of the moment (Audi). Things that are hugely popular are generally "of the moment" and not very forward looking. The original NSX contained many innovations and world's firsts in a car. The same cannot be said of the R8. As the Edmonds comparison of the NSX to R8 said, "The R8 has a similar feel, but can't match the NSX's original brilliance."

- - - Updated - - -

+1. Watch this video to get a sense of the demographic Audi is aiming for....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA99k3Cg7mc

I see upper middle class white people who like....

Hip hop
Indie bands
Craft cocktails
Microbrew beer
Outdoor lounge/bar
Tattoos
Interesting hats
Cupcakes

The video is just loaded with every trendy thing imaginable. But the luxury car being promoted (the new A3) is based on the VW Jetta. Fully loaded this fancy Jetta costs $45,000. If Acura attempted to sell a Civic derived vehicle for $45,000 they'd be heavily criticized, but Audi gets a free pass. While I'm not suggesting it's a bad car, my point is that social credibility goes a long ways towards swaying what many like to believe are otherwise mostly rational opinions. Audi is cool, Acura is not.

Exactly. The kind of cars we are discussing will paint a certain social status when you drive/own one and may even be a hit among friends/peers, but that is the least of my concerns. It certainly does not hurt to have some social popularity, but it's not my main priority. If Honda needs to learn anything from VW/Audi, it is the social image/marketing aspect to help increase their Acura sales, but it certainly does not need lessons on how to build a car.

I've driven the R8, that's why I like it. not because of any type of advertising or coolness factor (I don't listen to indie bands or have a cool hat). it's just a really good road car. it's basically the next step from where the 2005 NSX left off, better in every way. hell, I'm not even an Audi fan.

the only thing that persuades me to purchase a car, is the car itself.

you guys all know that most non-NSX people will be the first to ask you why you spent so much money on a "slow car" when a Corvette will smoke it for a fraction of the price. they obviously don't get the mystique of the NSX. but we can certainly understand their economical thinking by numbers.

the question that everyone is dying to know, and some have given up on, is will the new car live up to the hype? we'll know in due time. if not, Porsche and Audi will sell even more purely petrol and non-forward thinking cars and likely be really happy about it...

the question that everyone is dying to know, and some have given up on, is will the new car live up to the hype? we'll know in due time. if not, Porsche and Audi will sell even more purely petrol and non-forward thinking cars and likely be really happy about it...

Have you seen the newest testing video with the louder exhaust whipping around the Ring? It's coming together nicely. If Honda can't deliver, I hope Nissan or Toyota or anyone that can make a decent supercar should respond with their own MR platform.

On the bike side, ever since BMW squeezed out 200+ hp from the 1 liter, the Japanese have already begun to respond. Yamaha is working on a 230 hp all motor 1 liter bike and Kawasaki has a supercharged 300 hp 1 liter bike coming soon. The sleeping dragon is getting stirred awake.

I never said I would pick owning an RS6 over an NSX or an R8 or vise versa.......because unlike the three fan boys posting crap......I didn't get a ride in one or take one on a test drive...or read about it in Car and Driver.....I own all three.

And as far as comparisons go.....how can anyone with even half a brain look at the interior build quality of a top of the line Audi and then look at the same from Acura and think there are even on the same level is beyond me.

I'm done with this thread because everyone is arguing about one car that actually exists and a unicorn that no one has ever seen a production model of or that there is even an actual release date on.....lol.

I never said I would pick owning an RS6 over an NSX or an R8 or vise versa.......because unlike the three fan boys posting crap......I didn't get a ride in one or take one on a test drive...or read about it in Car and Driver.....I own all three.

And as far as comparisons go.....how can anyone with even half a brain look at the interior build quality of a top of the line Audi and then look at the same from Acura and think there are even on the same level is beyond me.

I'm done with this thread because everyone is arguing about one car that actually exists and a unicorn that no one has ever seen a production model of or that there is even an actual release date on.....lol.

You should be if you get offended so easily lol.

On a serious note. If you could only keep one car out of all of the cars you own right non, which one would it be?

Hands down.......R8

Hands down.......R8
Personally I'd take the rs6 though I've not owned an nsx before. I was too young to appreciate when it was new and now I think there are better alternatives to the original.

The r8 didn't excite me. I could have given it a much better chance if it didn't have the electronics of the a3 (old).

The new model with the new tt dash will be far better electronically but the drivetrains are looking outdated, especially against electric and hybrid cars. I could be swayed if they were forced induction but even that isn't on the cards.

Last edited:
.......another one that knows absolutely nothing of what they type. I have the V8.

I had the v8 coupe and the rs6, just not the nsx.

Are you telling me the r8 has a full mmi system rather than the rnse based headunit centric electronic architecture? Perhaps the us spec is different from euro but somehow i doubt it.

Don't be so quick to dismiss others' opinions, I'm an audiphile and still have an a5 3.0 tdi cab and a q5 3.0 tdi. I agree with you entirely that audi interiors are in a different league from most.

Last edited:

Are you telling me the r8 has a full mmi system rather than the rnse based headunit centric electronic architecture? Perhaps the us spec is different from euro but somehow i doubt it.

Don't be so quick to dismiss others' opinions, I'm an audiphile and still have an a5 3.0 tdi cab and a q5 3.0 tdi. I agree with you entirely that audi interiors are in a different league from most.

Not pointed at you or anyone specifically, but just quoting you because you brought the subject of Audi's interior. It's one thing to elevate the prestige by material and another as subjective as the actual art behind the interior design. I personally favor Honda's/Acura's interior sculpted interior/actual shape over Audi's same price point/competitor interior regardless of materials used. This is the idea is if both interiors were made from a homogeneous material and color like clay, then which sculpture is "better"?

Now that is something that many may not have the senses to realize, but again subjective.

Not pointed at you or anyone specifically, but just quoting you because you brought the subject of Audi's interior. It's one thing to elevate the prestige by material and another as subjective as the actual art behind the interior design. I personally favor Honda's/Acura's interior sculpted interior/actual shape over Audi's same price point/competitor interior regardless of materials used. This is the idea is if both interiors were made from a homogeneous material and color like clay, then which sculpture is "better"?

Now that is something that many may not have the senses to realize, but again subjective.

You make a very valid point with which I agree entirely. Audi's interior quality is excellent in terms of materials, fit and finish, but there's nothing special about the design, it's a little uninspired or "safe". For something special you need supercaresque inspiration. The Audi is a little boring and standard but very well executed.

The concept nsx interior design does look great, I just hope the quality matches the appearance. I like that they've given thought to things like the discomfort on your knees during cornering which was a real problem for me on the gt-r. Even the a5 and q5 without high g cornering presents a pretty hard surface for my knee against the centre console.

Then you should know that there is much talk about the RS7 motor going into the new R8.....that was what my comment was for.

Then you should know that there is much talk about the RS7 motor going into the new R8.....that was what my comment was for.

Pretty sure we were talking about the old r8. I mentioned the new one will get the better electronic architecture and the new tt-esque dash but no sign of a modern drive train.

Personally I'd take the rs6 though I've not owned an nsx before. I was too young to appreciate when it was new and now I think there are better alternatives to the original.

The r8 didn't excite me. I could have given it a much better chance if it didn't have the electronics of the a3 (old).

The new model with the new tt dash will be far better electronically but the drivetrains are looking outdated, especially against electric and hybrid cars. I could be swayed if they were forced induction but even that isn't on the cards.

Sounds like you were speaking of the future to me. And as far as electronics go......I'll say again that the 2003 R6 electronics were light years ahead of a 2005 NSX. And then one would have to say that the R8 electronics are way ahead of the RS6.

But all three are in the garage and all three are totally different......but if and when the NSX arrives maybe it will be a game changer like the original. They sure have had enough time sitting off to the side watching everyone else make cars that are real

No idea what you think I'm talking about. I made my own comments and want comparing electronics of old nsx, which I've never even sat in, with the rs6. My rs6 was a 2011 car and the electronics were way ahead of the r8 which dates back to 2004 a3 design.

I wasn't making comparisons our talking about the future, just comparing my r8 with my dad. I think the current r8 has poor systems for a $140k car.

I'm certain the NSX will be much better, especially seeing what the rlx and others have to offer. The gtr is certainly much more advanced than the current offerings from Audi and that is now 6 years old. Only exception add I've mentioned is the awesome new tt dash.

The new R8 is supposed to get the RS7 twin turbo v8......do you get what I'm saying now? Can you see what reference of yours I directed my comment at?

lol....you two are from different counties ....trim and model details may be different.

The new R8 is supposed to get the RS7 twin turbo v8......do you get what I'm saying now? Can you see what reference of yours I directed my comment at?

Ok, I understand your point now but in the UK, the only forced induction rumor is maybe the 2.5 5 cylinder from the ttrs and that's perhaps three years into mk 2 r8 production. We've already been told engine line up is the same as previously but with the possible introduction of cylinder deactivation and start-stop technology. I think that's too little too late.

Last edited:
Its important to keep inflation in mind when looking at the prices of cars these days. No a BMW M3 did not increase to over the price of an NSX, it actually adjusts correctly for inflation:

1989 Ferrari 348: $121,400 ($233,040 today)
1991 Acura NSX: $60,600 ($105,908 today)
1997 BMW M3 Euro: $53,380 ($79,165 today)
1998 Acura NSX: $84,000 ($122,666 today)
2014 Audi R8 V8: ($125,000 today)
2015 BMW M3: ($84,650 today)

So the NSX really isn't any more expensive than it was in the 90s...

Back