• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Problem with Wings West side skirts...

Do I need to take off the NSX metal piece (with NSX and VIN on it), inorder to install the side skirts? The NSX metal piece didn't seem to be fit after installed the side skirts? Anyone have solution for that?

Thanks,

You can drill some holes in it to re install it. When you do it is a good idea to put a couple of screws in those holes to help mount the skirts to the side. Just use the old skirt as a pattern for the new holes. Good luck
Brian

Yes, that's right you need to carefully pry off with a flat head screwdriver the black plastic door sill plate which has the silver vin tag on it. You'll notice that the WW skirts do not have any corresponding slots for the tabs on the underside of the sill plate to snap into. You have to cut or shave the sill plate tabs off so that the plate will mount flush (using double sided foam tape)with the WW skirt. There is no need to drill any holes into the WW skirts in order to mount the sill plates, that's excessive and may cause unecessary damage.

QWKSLVR said:
Yes, that's right you need to carefully pry off with a flat head screwdriver the black plastic door sill plate which has the silver vin tag on it. You'll notice that the WW skirts do not have any corresponding slots for the tabs on the underside of the sill plate to snap into. You have to cut or shave the sill plate tabs off so that the plate will mount flush (using double sided foam tape)with the WW skirt. There is no need to drill any holes into the WW skirts in order to mount the sill plates, that's excessive and may cause unecessary damage.

I endorse this method rather than drilling holes - the tabs on the sill plate aren't round anyway & more of a slot would actually be needed. Cut off the tabs & secure the plate with D-S tape as QWKSLVR suggests.
No-one will ever see the difference!

Attachments

• ww skirts 112.jpg
    ww skirts 112.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 460
nsxparts.com said:
That looks very nice. I have seen some with gaps. Yours are perfect!

Yes, I agree, yours look like it came from the Honda factory like that, very clean install.
However, I would think it would be better to make slots into the ww sides? Not to hold the sills, but to give the tabs somewhere to sit and secure them still using double-sided tape. Then, if you wanted to go back to the OEM sides, the tabs were still on the sills so you could pop them back in. That's what I would think is the best way? :confused:
Regards
Z

NSX FoYoAss, that is exactely what my installer did. The double dside tape is needed anyway but the slots were made to accomodate the underside tabs of the sill plates.

The guy from body shop told me it's very hard to make slots into the WW sides skirts and it's not a good idea to do that. So, I will go with "QWKSLVR" and "D'Ecosse" sugguestion.

Thanks eveyone for the help!

I mention this to my body shop today, they told me the skirts fits good and shouldn't have any problem. I will take some pictures next week when I get my car back.

My skirts are to long as well. I have to dissagree with you guys . IMO its better to drill a hole and dremmel it out to look like the factory slots than it is to cheat and cut of the tabs off. If you ever pushed down on the sills and watched them flex it looks scarry.
I just made the slots a little longer and screwed it to the side of the car. Now you can push down all you want its not going to move.
Your body shop guy is wrong its easy to drill through a pice of plastic. Its just faster to cut off the tabs and put some tape on then it is to do the job right.
Just my 2 cents worth:D

i am in the process of installing ww kit too.. Hopefully mine will turn out as good as you guys'..

what is the best method to match red paint? i have 93 red with blk interrior.. but, i am afraid that new red paint (on the kit) will NOT match the original red..

any suggestion?

Thanks

-jjc.

Echo that!!!!!

I'm not suggesting it's better to cut off the tabs - just don't see its worth the effort to make a bunch of holes in the WW skirt - with the inboard tabs & the tape it is perfectly secure. I certainly don't step on my sills geting in or out & I don't know anyone who does!
It's all personal preference - either is acceptable depending on your own taste - nothing to disagree about.

ac011 said:
I think the sills is more like a decoration thing? how many of you will actually step into in to get in/out of the car?

I agree. But still I don't think cutting the tabs is something I want to do. That's just me. I think cutting the ww sides is better so that I can switch back to 100% OEM. That's just my opinion. After I get my wheels, I'm gonna take the car to the shop and get the ww sides put on, so I'll see what they say.
Regards
Z

JJCNSX said:
what is the best method to match red paint? i have 93 red with blk interrior.. but, i am afraid that new red paint (on the kit) will NOT match the original red..

any suggestion?

Thanks

-jjc.

You just have to get the body shop to work with tinting the color until it matches. If you check my (red) pic in the other WW post you will see the skirt is darker - I had them re-shoot them because I wasn't happy. They did - no charge! Much better now!

I dont thik anyone steps on the sills. Some tall people tend to push on them with there hand to help them selfs up. When you sit on the side of the car it might be a problem as well.

Skirt Install Guide

Sorry for cross-posting - I posted this link in the other thread currently running, but since this thread is specifically related to the skirts rather than the front lip, thought it might be useful here as a point of future reference.
I installed them myself (twice!) with good results, so created this guide - after I had them re-painted for better colour match, I refined the process slightly the second time around. (the first install did not have screw #"3")
This procedure should give a good result to anyone who wants to DIY.

WingsWest SideSkirts Installation Guide

Back