• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Im just curious, who here actually dailies theirs?

I want to say I have put on about 60k miles in 4 years of ownership which is almost doubling the mileage that the car came with

Mine has been my DD for almost 10 years. It's basically my only car (my wife has a car but we take mine when we go together). About 120,000 miles so far.

Daily driver on notoriously bad DC-area roads. Over the past 22 months of ownership, I've driven 74 miles a day on weekdays (to/from work, errands, picking up wife in the District, etc.) with frequent road trips up/down the East coast on weekends. I've put 51K miles on the car through summer heat, spring storms, and winter salt/snow. I actually gave up my previous car because I just stopped driving it entirely. The NSX is all I've got when...

I go to Costco:
Rzz8YSX.jpg

Camping:
AGrCdKA.jpg

Ikea:
5TX61bD.jpg

Bad weather:
0OGbI3J.jpg

For anything the NSX can't handle, we use Zipcar (rarely happens: we've borrowed a Zipcar about twice a year so far only). Rolled 134K coming back from NSXPO 2014.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok cool bc i do too for the most part and i was curious bc reading on here i find a lot of comments that deal with people not driving theirs as much and so it made wonder if there could be something i dont know that i should potentially worry about

Three things I've learned so far daily-driving:

In my area, I absolutely needed to raise the car up. I was slammed on sagging Eibachs/Bilsteins and I loved the look, but it was completely impractical in the DC-area. I ended up solving this problem two-fold: moved up to KWv3 suspension and installed the iLIFT Systems VRH kit.

Either accept that you will get rock chips, or take steps to protect your car. Initially this was heartbreaking, but then I got over it. I have since redone the front of my car and am now going for Xpel PPF, so that should keep my car in great shape for a long time to come.

Tires. Tires tires tires. I go through about two sets of rears a year and one set of fronts. This year I am gonna get smart and actually get winter tires swapped on next month, so that should work out well: half the year on winters, half the year on extreme performance summers. I think that will work out well.

Last edited:
Daily driver on notoriously bad DC-area roads. Over the past 22 months of ownership, I've driven 74 miles a day on weekdays (to/from work, errands, picking up wife in the District, etc.) with frequent road trips up/down the East coast on weekends. I've put 51K miles on the car through summer heat, spring storms, and winter salt/snow. I actually gave up my previous car because I just stopped driving it entirely. The NSX is all I've got when...

I go to Costco:

Camping:

Ikea:

Bad weather:

For anything the NSX can't handle, we use Zipcar (rarely happens: we've borrowed a Zipcar about twice a year so far only). Rolled 134K coming back from NSXPO 2014.

- - - Updated - - -

In my area, I absolutely needed to raise the car up. I was slammed on sagging Eibachs/Bilsteins and I loved the look, but it was completely impractical in the DC-area. I ended up solving this problem two-fold: moved up to KWv3 suspension and installed the iLIFT Systems VRH kit.

Either accept that you will get rock chips, or take steps to protect your car. Initially this was heartbreaking, but then I got over it. I have since redone the front of my car and am now going for Xpel PPF, so that should keep my car in great shape for a long time to come.

Tires. Tires tires tires. I go through about two sets of rears a year and one set of fronts. This year I am gonna get smart and actually get winter tires swapped on next month, so that should work out well: half the year on winters, half the year on extreme performance summers. I think that will work out well.

FF Driver I think Honda had you in mind when they engineered the NSX. You just need to post a picture on the track and you will win!

I daily mine to work, bone stock 92. It's all good and fun but the roads here are too shitty to drive the NSX. If I lived in Tuscany it would have been a totally different story but here...bleah.

Daily driver on notoriously bad DC-area roads. Over the past 22 months of ownership, I've driven 74 miles a day on weekdays (to/from work, errands, picking up wife in the District, etc.) with frequent road trips up/down the East coast on weekends. I've put 51K miles on the car through summer heat, spring storms, and winter salt/snow. I actually gave up my previous car because I just stopped driving it entirely.

Dayum!!!

I remember when you got your car, I've had mine for about twice as long as you've had yours, but only put 25k miles on it in that time.... shameful.

I go to Costco:
Rzz8YSX.jpg

Camping:
AGrCdKA.jpg

Ikea:
5TX61bD.jpg

Bad weather:
0OGbI3J.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I just finished my pre-winter season paint care (Klasse HG) this weekend and noticed some more chips on the nose and hood. I figure I've got about 2-4 more winters before it's going to have to be re-shot. At that point, I might just do the PPF also.

Relax the alignment a bit, and the tires will last at least three times as long, with no loss of handling off the track. (PM for specs)

Daily driver on notoriously bad DC-area roads. Over the past 22 months of ownership, I've driven 74 miles a day on weekdays (to/from work, errands, picking up wife in the District, etc.) with frequent road trips up/down the East coast on weekends. I've put 51K miles on the car through summer heat, spring storms, and winter salt/snow. I actually gave up my previous car because I just stopped driving it entirely. The NSX is all I've got when...Three things I've learned so far daily-driving:In my area, I absolutely needed to raise the car up. I was slammed on sagging Eibachs/Bilsteins and I loved the look, but it was completely impractical in the DC-area. I ended up solving this problem two-fold: moved up to KWv3 suspension and installed the iLIFT Systems VRH kit.Either accept that you will get rock chips, or take steps to protect your car. Initially this was heartbreaking, but then I got over it. I have since redone the front of my car and am now going for Xpel PPF, so that should keep my car in great shape for a long time to come.Tires. Tires tires tires. I go through about two sets of rears a year and one set of fronts. This year I am gonna get smart and actually get winter tires swapped on next month, so that should work out well: half the year on winters, half the year on extreme performance summers. I think that will work out well.
Thank you good sir. Your 3 tips are valuable and ive come to expect these. I will look into that suspension however because roads here arent the worst but they're definitely not good either so ive been wondering what my options were suspension wise.

Relax the alignment a bit, and the tires will last at least three times as long, with no loss of handling off the track. (PM for specs)

I'm using the less aggressive factory 1995 specs and am getting about 12K ~ 14K miles on the rear tires and about 25K ~ 28K on the front tires.

I'm using the less aggressive factory 1995 specs and am getting about 12K ~ 14K miles on the rear tires and about 25K ~ 28K on the front tires.
Yes, those are less aggressive, but still intended for track-style cornering. By dialing back the rear toe, and changing the front to toe-in instead of toe-out, you can at least double your tire life again. Of course, if you want to win at the track, this is the wrong idea.

To still have handling and preserve tire life you can relax the rear toe and install the non compliance bushings and toe links. The toe settings are then static and not dynamic so having 91 spec toe is no longer needed. This makes the backend much more predictable as well.

I'm happy with my current tire life/performance. I'm changing tires twice a year because I'm driving a lot :biggrin:

I drive my NSX as a DD during the summer when my kids are out of school. Can't wait for them to drive themselves so I can drive my NSX all year long, every day!

Engine is over the rear drive axle, so it is planted. With the X-ice3 tires, I blow by 4x4's on the highway. You should see the looks I get. TCS and ABS really help and I can't wait til I get to experience the new ABS this winter. Honestly the car is uneventful in even the worst snow storm with this setup. Defrost works great and she gets nice and toasty in the cabin. I'm sure our Canadian owners would agree. :)
Absolutely agree! I daily drove mine 100k miles from 2001 to about 2009 .. then 3-4 times a week. And, of the 100k miles, about 30k are winter miles .. snow, ice, spring slush, whatever up here in the great White North. Never been stuck and often drive in snow deep enough that I'm levelling it. I often turn the TCS off so I can drift a little on the snow/ice. I agree with the defrost/heater comment as well. I once drove the car for 360 miles at -36 and didn't even have my coat on it was so toasty. Also agree with the comment about less maintenance when daily driven as everything gets regularly exercised/lubed. Disclosure - my car had 90k on it when I bought it .. along with some light road rash and I'm not the 'driveway jewellry' type so the fact it isn't perfect also means less stress. I also track and autocross it although not regularly.

i daily my car...most driving is on pch and parking is always in a covered private lot. i have anxiety attacks when ever i need to park in public spaces...e.g. when i HAVE to stop a grocery store because my wife isn't home with her beater car.

Daily driver since 1998. 206k miles and running strong. I do resent the road debris and sun damage to paint. A very dependable design with low maintenance cost.

Switching to winter tires in preparation for snow/salt/ice. jwmelvin's spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aip3lN5jSAuIdDNwb1lHZVNaamRJYzFEWjZqRVIwZWc#gid=2) is immensely useful.

Thanks Fred. I actually moved it to a new spreadsheet because that was the only way to take advantage of new features from Google. New sheet is here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...69VkgjBTQ3nYpD-zKhiYwC-4nc/edit#gid=792074479

It does some things like auto highlighting the ratios in the size calculators. I also have made edits to the newer version when looking at available tires.

As always, I very much appreciate info to add/change. -Jason

I daily mine to school and work. Maybe 30 miles round trip? I just rolled over 107k on my 91. Haven't driven it in the snow yet since my MR2 has studded snow tires, but I may give it a try after seeing FFDrifters pics up there!

Back