• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Test drive/Road trip

Hey guys, I bought an '92 NSX this past May from fellow NSXprime member 4chin500 (I think that's his handle on here) having never even driven an NSX before. The price was right and I figured that even if I hated it, I could sell it back in Los Angeles and break even...

I'm the editor at Petrolicious.com and I won't spoil the story but if you'd like to see how it went down, check it out here: http://www.petrolicious.com/taking-a-3500-mile-test-drive-in-an-acura-nsx-1-of-4

Hope you dig it!

Great story! Huge fan of Petrolicious, the quality of photos and video is always top notch, and yours on this article are no exception! Hope you see the NSX as more than just a Honda V6 though (which I'm sure you have).

Thanks for the positive comments! This should answer your questions: in the four months I've owned it, I've put about 6500 miles on it and it's become my daily driver. I LOVE THE NSX. So glad I didn't buy a Ferrari...

Nice story, enjoyed the read (so far), you'll enjoy the car. I've had mine for over 12 years and 70,000 (s)miles, and still love the look, the ride, as much as the first day!!!!

Thanks for the positive comments! This should answer your questions: in the four months I've owned it, I've put about 6500 miles on it and it's become my daily driver. I LOVE THE NSX. So glad I didn't buy a Ferrari...
One of us, one of us :smile:

Edit: Now that you have one, can we expect to see a video starring one? ;)

Last edited:
i enjoyed the write-up,look forward to seeing the rest.

One of us, one of us :smile:

Edit: Now that you have one, can we expect to see a video starring one? ;)

I wish it was that simple, but I'm pushing for it...
[MENTION=21474]robbiedawg[/MENTION] thanks! I hope you enjoy it!

Great pics and read, can't wait for part 2!

Nice! I love watching your videos on youtube. Great cars/stories and high quality too. BTW good job on picking the right color ;-D.

Last edited:
Cool story. I don't think there are many things in car buying that beat the drive home stories. I did it with my 01 from Indiana to New York and it was a blast. I'm looking forward to the following installments to your story.

Very awesome story and congrats! That is the right way to start new ownership of this great car. Welcome ! Jay

Those 02+ wheels really make the '92 bodywork shine - very impressive, if a little confusing seeing those wheels with the old-school exhaust tips!

Very nice write up and photos - can't wait for the next instalments.

Great read. I can't wait to read next week's episode.
But please make a video! I'm a sucker for Petrolicious productions.
All of us love looking at, and hearing about how amazing our cars really are.

Lucas

Sounds just like my story, didn't even knew I was buying a car until I bought my NSX two months back, it was an impulse decision. Flew to Virginia from St. Louis and drove home 14 hours back. Brought it from a very nice guy, he just drove 600 miles in last four years, I put 1000 miles in a single day driving back. The interesting thing is before my purchase I never been inside of an NSX. This is funny, I learnt driving on a manual gear car but only drove it couple times 10 years back; after that never drove a manual again. So I basically learned manual car again while driving back home. The only difference to my story is, I could not take anyone with me to drive back home even though lot of people volunteered for it, as I had tons of NSX original stuff to bring back home along with the car :) this car was carefully modified at acura dealerships (have all the receipts)

Thank you all for your support! It's so cool of y'all to share your individual stories! I'll post up the next segment when it's live... 'til then it seems my car is leaking oil and coolant. It's not running hot but there is condensation on the glass separating the cabin from the engine and a couple of oil spots on the ground where I park. I hope it isn't the head gasket... I hope I didn't push too hard.

Thank you all for your support! It's so cool of y'all to share your individual stories! I'll post up the next segment when it's live... 'til then it seems my car is leaking oil and coolant. It's not running hot but there is condensation on the glass separating the cabin from the engine and a couple of oil spots on the ground where I park. I hope it isn't the head gasket... I hope I didn't push too hard.

First, congratulations on the great find and your story is very similar to mine when I bought my 91 NSX years ago and my 02 a few years ago. there is nothing like the adventure of that first drive back home after the purchase. I enjoyed part 1 and can't wait to read the rest of the story.

Second, the past owner only put 4K miles on it in 11 yrs. So it's possible that the car sat for long stretches. All of the seals will likely be close to if not completely rotted out. I'd have an NSX technician look the car over. Check the coolant hoses (all 20+ of them) Timing belt, cam seals (which sounds like your current problem), master and slave valve among others. The good news is that you are planning on driving it so once these are replaced their life span will be better. And if not at least you get to have fun with the money spent. Enjoy that car and NSXPO is in Palm Springs next year. Would be cool to see it in person.

Congrats!

Such a great story. Bit by bit. What are the odds of meeting someone with a double lung transplant?!? Amazing... Bonds can be formed instantly yet last a life time.

Wish you the best and looking forward to the rest!

Great story!

I love the 02+ wheels with the sebring silver NA1 look.

Like Lostbuckeye said, being its a 22yr old car, have it looked over thoroughly before anything. It shouldn't be that bad, it's a honda!

Wish you more great memories to come. Enjoy!

I will definitely be there as I'm only about two hours from Palm Springs! Any chance you could recommend an NSX tech out here in Los Angeles? I assume you don't mean take it to a Honda/Acura dealer, right? I'm pretty comfortable working on cars, but do you think it's too much of an undertaking? Thanks!

06_typeS It'll be up tomorrow, I'll link to it here...

B2Finity and StoneonSilver Thank you both for your comments!

First, congratulations on the great find and your story is very similar to mine when I bought my 91 NSX years ago and my 02 a few years ago. there is nothing like the adventure of that first drive back home after the purchase. I enjoyed part 1 and can't wait to read the rest of the story.

Second, the past owner only put 4K miles on it in 11 yrs. So it's possible that the car sat for long stretches. All of the seals will likely be close to if not completely rotted out. I'd have an NSX technician look the car over. Check the coolant hoses (all 20+ of them) Timing belt, cam seals (which sounds like your current problem), master and slave valve among others. The good news is that you are planning on driving it so once these are replaced their life span will be better. And if not at least you get to have fun with the money spent. Enjoy that car and NSXPO is in Palm Springs next year. Would be cool to see it in person.

Congrats on that silver beauty!!!!

Reminds me of my first NSX that I bought 11 years ago...hopped on a one way flight from SoCal to Portland and was picked up at the airport by the owner in the NSX... Not quite 3500 mile road trip, but it was the best 1000 miles I ever drove!!!

Congrats again!!! Hope to see you around....

I will definitely be there as I'm only about two hours from Palm Springs! Any chance you could recommend an NSX tech out here in Los Angeles? I assume you don't mean take it to a Honda/Acura dealer, right? I'm pretty comfortable working on cars, but do you think it's too much of an undertaking? Thanks!

I would post on the SoCal portion of the forum for advice on NSX techs. There are very few Acura Dealers that will do a proper job working on your NSX so unless someone local knows of one I would avoid the stealer err...dealer. You could do some of this yourself. But, I would have a Tech that knows the car well look at it first. You'll learn a lot from the tech if he or she will let you hang around while they do the work. Your car is really a great find. So any, work needed because it sat in a garage is money well spent now for a very dependable former supercar later.

As for your story, I'm constantly surprised on how small the world really is. You two obviously have much to be thankful for. Enjoy that second chance and that new to you NSX.

Last edited:

There are a few choices in SoCal for good NSX mechanics. My favorite is Ramon and Nigel Motors. Another good choice is John Martin, but I cant recall which dealership he is working at now days. Post your request in the SoCal forum, and you will get an answer as to the John's location. Also, we have a very active group here in SoCal. Check the SoCal forum for the next meet or drive. I would love to see your car at the next meet. If your in Pasadena, we could meet for lunch. I'm Mario and I live in Sierra Madre.

Last edited:
Back