• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Test drive/Road trip

Great article. Thanks for sharing. I just put mine away for the winter which lasts six months up here. I was getting ready for bed last night and thought to myself, "What do I do now? I don't need to watch the weather, I don't need to make up reasons to go somewhere etc...". It's going to be a long six months.

Ill be up in Pasadena on Sunday for the Art Center Car Classic, I'd be happy to meet up afterwards...

There are a few choices in SoCal for good NSX mechanics. My favorite is Ramon and Nigel Motors. Another good choice is John Martin, but I cant recall which dealership he is working at now days. Post your request in the SoCal forum, and you will get an answer as to the John's location. Also, we have a very active group here in SoCal. Check the SoCal forum for the next meet or drive. I would love to see your car at the next meet. If your in Pasadena, we could meet for lunch. I'm Mario and I live in Sierra Madre.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Mug! Part two is up, I hope y'all enjoy it too! http://www.petrolicious.com/learning-to-drive-stick-in-an-acura-nsx-1000mi-to-go-2-of-4

Again I enjoyed your write up. Except for one point: "The NSX isn’t a beautiful car. It’s got a smooth, slick shape that looks very aerodynamic, but beautiful? I don’t really think so. Let’s call it functional. It also doesn’t have much presence. I mean it’s low and looks the business, but it doesn’t demand to be noticed like a Lamborghini Diablo does."

What comes to mind for me is when I went engagement ring shopping for my wife. I'd be in the shop looking at what I though was a very beautiful diamond, convinced that this was the rock I was going to put on my girlfriend's finger, and then the guy would come out with a diamond that made the first one look like a piece of coal. Comparing the NSX to a Diablo isn't really fair. The Diablo is just a brighter diamond. I think the beauty of the NSX is the fact that is "functional". Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though so you can say what ever you want. I do think that over time you'll begin to see the beauty in it. Just wait.....

Again I enjoyed your write up. Except for one point: "The NSX isn’t a beautiful car. It’s got a smooth, slick shape that looks very aerodynamic, but beautiful? I don’t really think so. Let’s call it functional. It also doesn’t have much presence. I mean it’s low and looks the business, but it doesn’t demand to be noticed like a Lamborghini Diablo does."

What comes to mind for me is when I went engagement ring shopping for my wife. I'd be in the shop looking at what I though was a very beautiful diamond, convinced that this was the rock I was going to put on my girlfriend's finger, and then the guy would come out with a diamond that made the first one look like a piece of coal. Comparing the NSX to a Diablo isn't really fair. The Diablo is just a brighter diamond. I think the beauty of the NSX is the fact that is "functional". Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though so you can say what ever you want. I do think that over time you'll begin to see the beauty in it. Just wait.....

+1 beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The NSX's around were I live receive quite a bit of attention, breaking necks and giving people LBS (Look Back Syndrome). And like the article did mention, most people are amazed when they find out it is more than 20 years old.

I'm looking forward to the next two parts of your article.

(Of course we on NSXPRIME are most likely be a bit biased towards the NSX).

Congratulations and great story, your writing style is very distinctive - the pictures of great quality!

I myself hated the day I bought the NSX with all my heart. And I still hate it now, even after 8 months of wonderful ownership. The NSX is a great car and grows on you but I still hate that day. I remember that during the first miles driving the car home I was cussing and swearing out loud - calling myself "stupid dickhead dipshit fucker" to be exact. But that's another story.

I also vote for the cam plugs, I went with OEM and it was about $300 of labor to fix them.

Congratulations and great story, your writing style is very distinctive - the pictures of great quality!

I myself hated the day I bought the NSX with all my heart. And I still hate it now, even after 8 months of wonderful ownership. The NSX is a great car and grows on you but I still hate that day. I remember that during the first miles driving the car home I was cussing and swearing out loud - calling myself "stupid dickhead dipshit fucker" to be exact. But that's another story.

I also vote for the cam plugs, I went with OEM and it was about $300 of labor to fix them.

Why post all that and not post why?

Hey guys, thanks for all the love. I guess I should explain the "I don't think the NSX is beautiful" comment. It's not that I think the NSX is ugly, far from it, I think it's a great looking car! But to me it's not beautiful in a Ferrari GTO, Jag XKSS sort of way.

Anyway, here's part three: http://www.petrolicious.com/the-acura-nsx-is-faster-because-it-s-better

Hope you dig it!

Thanks Ric, Lostbuckeye, mcano, 91X, and Hass! I got my car down to Ramon at Niguel Motors and was impressed pretty quickly after meeting him. He threw the car on the lift and pointed out a few quick issues that confirmed some of my observations. Seems like it won't need to much...

Anyhow, the last installment of the trip is up: http://www.petrolicious.com/buy-an-acura-nsx-and-then-take-the-test-drive-4-of-4

As always, I hope y'all enjoy it!

I would post on the SoCal portion of the forum for advice on NSX techs. There are very few Acura Dealers that will do a proper job working on your NSX so unless someone local knows of one I would avoid the stealer err...dealer. You could do some of this yourself. But, I would have a Tech that knows the car well look at it first. You'll learn a lot from the tech if he or she will let you hang around while they do the work. Your car is really a great find. So any, work needed because it sat in a garage is money well spent now for a very dependable former supercar later.

As for your story, I'm constantly surprised on how small the world really is. You two obviously have much to be thankful for. Enjoy that second chance and that new to you NSX.

Wow! Great write up and photography.

Great story, I enjoyed the read. Thanks for sharing. I had a similar experience a few months ago buying a Viper GTS and driving it from IL to south FL without ever driving one before. Taking a long road trip in a newly bought car is something special.

I love the silver and obsessed over that color combo since driving my first NSX (which was silver and happened to be turbo chaeged with 500whp), however my grand prix white 92 really grew on me and is a close second to a silver nsx for me.

How many miles are on the car total?

@CStricker cool, our Belstaff partnership promotion! Only two degrees of separation-- crazy! Small world indeed!
@Lostbuckeye Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it!
@stuntman I've got a GTS also, what year is yours? I actually bought mine in Pensacola, FL and drove it back to a Los Angeles... It's a '96 and just blew the upper rad hose, other than that it's been perfect (and terrifying)! Had it since '08, enjoy yours! Funny about the NSX colors, I'd have loved a GPW... but the silver is growing on me. My NSX just turned 68,000 miles this week. It's like new.

97 b&w 7k on the clock. Putting some RSV forged 18/19s and lowering it on KW coilovers next year. My gpw nsx is in socal. Post a pic of your GTS next to the nsx!

Putting some RSV forged 18/19s and lowering it on KW coilovers next year.

You don't think that this combination will compromise lateral grip? I've always subscribed to the 17/18 theory because of the amount of sidewall available in that combination is ideally suited to not only handling but overall ride quality and avoidance of wheel damage from using very low profile tires. I have pulled instantaneous peak lateral g's approaching 1.5 with 17/18 shod with Goodyear F1 GSD3s. I'd be afraid to drive the car with an 18/19 package.

Most Ferraris, Porsches, etc... Seem to do alright on them.

225/40-18 and 275/35-19 have the same size sidewall as a typical 17/18 setup. FXMD is coming up with a fender kit that looks good and fits these sizes.

Most Ferraris, Porsches, etc... Seem to do alright on them.
No comment. :)

225/40-18 and 275/35-19 have the same size sidewall as a typical 17/18 setup. FXMD is coming up with a fender kit that looks good and fits these sizes.
Good point, thank you. Speaking of FXMD, I just remembered I have funds on deposit with them. Thanks for reminding me. :)

Great read. Thank you for sharing! It is like a more dramatic version of my experience, which was buying in Minnesota and driving 2400 miles down to SoCal. An awesome experience and definitely one of the best ways to buy such a car.

When you try and re-direct traffic to your site thats a big NO NO

if you have a story post it on this site.

When you try and re-direct traffic to your site thats a big NO NO if you have a story post it on this site.
Several folks on this forum would have spotted his write up anyway and we would have four or five individual threads on various parts of the forum waiting for reaction. He didn't take anything from Prime and many of us Car Guys found another informative thread.

Last edited:
Back