• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Window fix it thingy

On Dali racing's website they have a hard way and a much easier method of installing the window fix it thingy. Has anybody tried the easy way of fixing it? Does this method work?

I didn't but it makes sense to me if you don't have a helper around. Just be careful your window doesn't drop (tape carefully). If you have someone around, just have that person carefully pull the window up or push the window down (while the window is still taped for precaution) depending on which cable you're removing. Pushing the window down yourself is easy but you can also push the window up yourself using a carefully placed mallet and your knee and elbow :). It's much easier to phone a friend.

I had a hard time removing the cables so I drilled the plastic cable holder thingy until I could pull out the cable terminals. Just PM me if you need help - I literally just did this yesterday.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, this is key (from the FAQ):

When you break off the old plastic thingy, the cables will snap off. Here's where it looks like there is a problem until you realize you're an idiot. When you try to attach the top cable, no matter how much you try to stretch it, it will not make it. You pull and push so hard it hurts. Then you realize the problem. Even though you taped the window, when the cable snaps, the window falls a little bit. If you have someone pull the window up a little, the top cable goes right in. Have your friend now push the window down a little to stretch the top cable and you will have no problem attaching the bottom cable.

Are you sure that you don't want to remove the regulator and inspect the trolley and see if some of the plastic glides have broken off? You can also clean the regulator maybe put some clean grease on it and install the new cable retainer.

I think that I have posted some pictures of how to use a small vise grip to secure the bottom cable to the regulator and then use a long Quick Grip clamp to gently pull the trolley toward the secured cable then remove the cable end from the retainer and gently release the Quick Grip clamp.

To better understand, what you are doing is compressing one of the springs located at the regulator motor under the rubber boots. These springs keep tension on the whole cable system and keep a cable from jumping off track on the spool located under the round silver cover on the motor drive.

If you decide to remove the whole regulator I would be glad to give you some tips on reinstalling it. Once you CAREFULLY lift the plastic weather guard so you can get to the regulator. Lower the window, about half way down, until you can see the two bolts that hold the regulator to the window. There are two holes in the door JUST FOR THIS. Don't worry about marking the oblong holes where the regulator attaches to the door. If you look one of the 4 holes is round. Take a black Sharpie and draw a circle around the bolt head on this round hole for reference. Woops I guess I got carried away!

BTW if you find broken glides on your regulator I have replacement ones.

Brad

Last edited:
I have a question for the folks that are doing this themselves. I would have done this already beacuse the removal doesn't seem like a big deal but the re-adjustment of the window seems more a PIA. True or false?

I did the fix it things by myself and it was easy. No taping the window, no grinding pliers like Dali suggests. Just used a pick tool to pry the top cable out while gently lifting the window with my other hand. Took about 15 mins. It is easier to show you how to do it than explain it but it's not hard

Back