• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

PDR Question - Passenger Rear Quarter Panel Dent

After washing my car a couple weeks ago, I noticed that I have a very small dent on the top of my passenger rear quarter panel. (top of panel right next to trunk). Needless to say, I was not happy:mad:.

In any case, I have a PDR guy I have used in the past with good results, however before I take it to him, does anyone know if he would have access to the top of that panel from the trunk? Seems like he could if he pulls back the trunk carpet. But I am not positive.

I can take a picture if my description is not clear, just didn't have a chance this morning.

Thanks,

Carl

should have access, either from the trunk or from the wheel well.

Whats the risk on damage to the paint doing it this way?

If the car has original paint and the tech is good there should be no problem. The guy that does our work at the shop is the best I've seen. It is quite an art. The person should also be used to working with aluminum. Actually our guy just walked in, so I quizzed him up on working with aluminum. He says it is tougher to work with than steel, but is doable if the dent is not too sharp. He said he'd love to come to Florida and do it for you, but it might be a bit pricey to fly him down and keep him in beer.:smile:

He said he'd love to come to Florida and do it for you, but it might be a bit pricey to fly him down and keep him in beer.:smile:

Not sure which would be cheaper the beer or the flight...you Canadians can drink!:wink:

Anyway the dent is not sharp at all, it's very minor and the paint is fine. I think as long as my PDR guy can get to it, he should be able to get it out. If that doesn't work, I'll post back here to see if there are any other recommendations on someone that could try the glue method down here in Orlando.

Could you please describe the glue process for dent removal? Thanks.

It is a process used by a pro when access inside a panel is not possible. A heated glue gun is used and a puck with a tab or extention is fixed to the dent and then pulled outward. I believe somtimes, depending on the dent, the tech will have to pull the metal outwards a bit and then tap back in with their special tools to make it perfect.

Update: Took it to my PDR guy, he had it out in less than a couple minutes. Good as new. Phew:biggrin:

Told him we have to stop meeting like this!:wink:

Glad you got fixed up. You think you had problems? Our car lot got hit with hail on the weekend. It got every car. I'm pretty sure it's going to take our dent guy a little more than a couple of minutes to get us back in shape.:mad:

Glad you got fixed up. You think you had problems? Our car lot got hit with hail on the weekend. It got every car. I'm pretty sure it's going to take our dent guy a little more than a couple of minutes to get us back in shape.:mad:

I am sorry, I can only imagine how painful that must be! It hailed years ago in Florida, good size pieces and I was freaked the hell out as my car was at work in the parking lot. I got lucky there was no damage, but I did imagine it would be when I walked out. I think everyone here who saw it thought the same thing.

I bet you guys didn't know this...... sometimes if they think they cant get to a dent from behind they drill a hole..... fix said dent..... then put a rubber grommet cover over it and you would never know....

only a true NSX guy would notice this weird grommet

they don't tell you they are gonna drill they only want to get the money from doing the job. its not their car so F'em ya know

Sometimes there is no way to access the dent and drilling a hole is the only option. This would be rare as glue pulling the dent usually works.

Back