• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2015 F1 thread

Yeah, I agree...I'm a McLaren and Honda Fan, but I can't see them catching Merc in 2015, perhaps in 2016.

I just can't stand Alonso and his antics.

Bram

Alonso's antics are yesteryear's news. He's come a long way matured a lot.

Same thing with Hamilton, I used to highly dislike him in his early years. I'm still no fan of his, but he's come a long way too.

On the other hand, rookies/new guys like Ricciardo and Bottas are very humble and quiet for the most part. Very professional

thats because he looked Italian.......and heck to us ugly Americans:tongue: he sounded Italian...:biggrin:.....

I wish he could have stayed at Ferrari. I still believe he is the best driver. His skills are at the top of the list and his effort in the race is second to none.

I'm also Ferrari fan but always appreciated Mclaren.As they next year run Honda engine + Fernando they are my favourites.

- - - Updated - - -

thats because he looked Italian.......and heck to us ugly Americans:tongue: he sounded Italian...:biggrin:.....

yeah doc:biggrin: right.

Last edited:
Really, I don't see his behaviour changing anytime soon..... however, I do agree with you that Ricciardo and Valttair are really quite humble rising Stars in the sport. I do like both of them.

Bram

If you didn't see the change and his maturity grow at Ferrari, then I don't know what to tell you.

Well he is fluent in Italian too, as well as English and Spanish. Not sure what other languages he speaks.

I still believe he is the best driver. His skills are at the top of the list and his effort in the race is second to none.

I fully agree with that, and this is exactly why Honda paid serious dosh for him. hopefully they give him the power unit he needs to run up the front...

I don’t buy the Dennis/Alonso relationship mended whatsoever. I think they will do their best for the media. The car will be 1 to 2secs off the pace at best. Both Alonso and Button will be back markers to end their careers. Handing their “development” to some other driver in 2-3 years time. Don’t be fooled by Honda either. They are years away from properly being setup in F1 again. From 2000-2005 there were so many personnel issues that David Richards dealt with and that was a time when they had A LOT more time to test the v10. Nowadays, no such luck. Those same personnel issues that have to be addressed, with a lot less testing time, meaning Boulier will have plenty of late nights ahead of him.

Simon, I agree with you that Ron and Alonso is just being nice during this honeymoon period...This relationship will changed within a couple of months.

I disagree with you on your second point that McLaren/Honda will be 1-2 secs of the pace. Honda had one year to develop and test their Power Unit on the Dyno, this is the most costly and time consuming aspect of Power unit development. The second aspect is the software intergration of the various MGUK/H and the IC engine management systems. Based on an article I read this week, Honda have developed their own software to managed these systems, just liked they did in the 80's with their PGM-FI, which was way ahead of everyone one else.

Come next March we'll see who's Engineering Team did the best job.

Bram

Ecclestone is meeting today with 6 teams. He is proposing the return to the V10 normally aspirated engine for 2016. I hope it goes through as we will have the glorious "roar" of F1 again. I'm sure Honda is anxiously awaiting this decision as it will no doubt thwart their development.

if thats true..... we had the cost saving (???) thing whereby they dump the na V8 and go to 'manufacturer friendly/relevant' turbo v6 to keep renault happy. and now the odious midget is proposing dumping that for na V10??? he really isn't living in the real wold is he?? he has lost the plot, and really has to go!!!

would you expect anything else from a 83 yo billionaire

Ron Dennis says he will not be content with the revived McLaren-Honda partnership simply winning grands prix and instead wants to dominate Formula 1 as the team did in 1988.

"What we achieved then, and what our rivals Mercedes achieved this year, is exactly what our objective is for the future - which is domination.

"So you could argue that as we didn't win a race and we're using words such as 'domination' then we're setting ourselves up for an almighty fall.
"But domination doesn't come in a short period of time, it takes time.

"Winning races is challenging but domination is really challenging."
Dennis believes the resources Honda is dedicating to its F1 return will guarantee success, describing the facilities at the project's Sakura headquarters as "extremely mind-blowing".

"I feel very confident that as we move forward into next season we have a realistic prospect of achieving our objectives."

IMO its a very tall order. With under 83-days to go until kick off, we shall see what ever "extremely mind-blowing" equates to.

Yea I suspect he hasn't toured the Mercedes facility, which was described to me in about the same terms by someone who had. I think people fail to appreciate exactly how much Mercedes put into the development of their power train.

What do you think about engine changes for 2016.Still v6 turbo.
"Engines will be louder, stronger and cheaper. The goal of the 1000 horsepower and a cost of 10 million euros per team. The expert group must submit the results of the proposal to the end of January. '

Yea I suspect he hasn't toured the Mercedes facility, which was described to me in about the same terms by someone who had. I think people fail to appreciate exactly how much Mercedes put into the development of their power train.

MB has done a better job than the rest and I am sure all the high tech stuff are very impressive especially its all new to us.
I am fairly certain Ron has seen & created his fair share of "high tech" environment over the years. To him to say "extremely mind blowing" about what Honda is up to seemed premature as it has yet proven on the track to dominate like he wants to. Perhaps it was marketing talk. I am glad he is back. He knows how to get things done.

What do you think about engine changes for 2016.Still v6 turbo.
"Engines will be louder, stronger and cheaper. The goal of the 1000 horsepower and a cost of 10 million euros per team. The expert group must submit the results of the proposal to the end of January. '
If we have never heard the V12, V10, V8 sound with flat-crank in the past, it would be cool to have a V6 turbo.

Ron Dennis says he will not be content with the revived McLaren-Honda partnership simply winning grands prix and instead wants to dominate Formula 1 as the team did in 1988.

"What we achieved then, and what our rivals Mercedes achieved this year, is exactly what our objective is for the future - which is domination.

"So you could argue that as we didn't win a race and we're using words such as 'domination' then we're setting ourselves up for an almighty fall.
"But domination doesn't come in a short period of time, it takes time.

"Winning races is challenging but domination is really challenging."
Dennis believes the resources Honda is dedicating to its F1 return will guarantee success, describing the facilities at the project's Sakura headquarters as "extremely mind-blowing".

"I feel very confident that as we move forward into next season we have a realistic prospect of achieving our objectives."

IMO its a very tall order. With under 83-days to go until kick off, we shall see what ever "extremely mind-blowing" equates to.

Dennis is completely delusional if he thinks McLaren-Honda will be dominant in F1 again. But he's getting paid to say that crap. The sport, the fia, the boards of governing bodies, are not in the 80's anymore. He's lucky if he gets a win in his tenure. I think the Toronto Maple Leafs have a better chance of winning the stanley cup before McLaren-Honda dominates F1 again.

Back