• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Aftermarked sterio questions

Aftermarket sterio questions

Ok, so I did search and didn't find the exact answer I am looking for. I am replacing my head unit and door speakers and plan to use the stock wiring from the head unit to the replacement speakers. The new speakers will be powered by the head unit. My question is of the 4 wires that the OEM speaker/amps are connected to which ones actually are for sound. Which are the + and - I need to connect the speakers to when the + and - behind the head unit are connected accordingly with the harness.

Thanks in advance

-Alec

Last edited:
The door speakers are powered
the yel/red & blk are for the speaker power
wht is +
orn is -

but I think the gauge is too thin for a aftermarket amp.
I you need a pic of the page email me [email protected]

good luck
Rich Wong

Awesome thank you!! I'm using the head unit to power them. So 100W max per side. I just figured it would be easier to use the OEM wiring than replace it all. -Alec

Don't mean to get too technical but the layman's electrical equation for watts is volts times amps .. which can also be restated as amps squared times resistance. So, if your speakers are 8 ohms then 100 watts divided by 8 ohms = about 12 which is the square of the amperage. So, at 100 watts, you'd be driving about 3.5 amps to the speakers. Now, the amperage carrying capacity of wire depends on the number of individual strands but for example, according to this site (http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wire-gauges-d_419.html), a 20 gauge wire with 7-24 strands can carry about 3.5 amps which would be enough. I'm currently doing exactly what you're contemplating (ie. using stock wiring with aftermarket amp) although I don't push anywhere near 100W. And to be honest, when I took out the OEM door speakers, I don't recall if the wiring was multi-stranded or solid core .. and I didn't really pay any attention to what the gauge was although I'd guess it was at least 20 gauge. If you're concerned, you might want to ask BrianK who repairs the OEM amps for a very reasonable price .. he probably has a spare set easily available and could probably comment on the size and type of the wiring.

I'm not too worried about the size of the wiring. The head unit pushed 50W per channel and I'm only using two channels so really its only 50W MAX per side which I will never come close to. I'm not looking for loud or competition. Just an improvement. I'll probably have the new door speakers in and tested by this weekend.

-Alec

I just fabricated some similar to the SOS ones from plexi. Everything is all sound matted. Just need to fit and test.

-Alec

Back