• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Coolant leak by the radiator drain tube...

Greaaaat. I've got to drive 8 hours down to NJ from Toronto this week to store my car for the winter.
I went out to check on it and theres a few cups of coolant in a puddle under the radiator. It looks like the coolant is coming out near the lower drain plug tube.

I had all the coolant hoses replaced a few months ago, and it's been fine since. Anyone else have this issue? Think I just need a new drain plug and o-ring?
If the radiator is cracked down there, think replacing the drain plug/o ring will make it worse?

Think I can just unscrew the old plug, and screw a new one in real quick without draining too much coolant?

It just started leaking sitting around. Looks like ~10 drops of coolant per night leak out, causing a puddle over a week or so.

Last edited:
Lets start with the simple things.
1. Its possible one of the hose clamps is not on correctly. Make sure all in that area are fully seated, parallel to the hose end, and about 1/2" from the hose end.
2. Yes, you can insert a new plug without losing too much coolant. It works best if hte engine is cold and the radiator cap is on. Its possible that the o-ring on the drain plug cracked or even came completely off. Back out the drain plug, have some one to hold their fingers over the holes, and check. If installing a new plug or just the o-ring (available at most hardware stores) put some silicon grease on the o-ring for easier operation and an even better seal.
3. If its just leaking a few drops per day - is that with it standing or are you running the car each day? It might be tempting to drive, but if its the plug dripping, no big deal. If its a poorly seated hose or a crack in the radiator, it could totally let go during the drive and that would have nasty consequences.

How far from Basking Ridge NJ are you? I'll be home this weekend and we could put the car up on my lift to get a better look at this. PM me.

Thanks for the info/offer.

I'm going to pick up a new plug/o ring from the dealer tomorrow morning. I don't think it could worsen the situation...
I'll also check the hoses. Really hope the rad isn't shot. It only seems to leak after the car has been running/while it's running.

when your at the dealership get 4 jugs of type 2 coolant keep them in your trunk, if the leak is like that I am sure you may need to check it half way down on your trip.

So it looks like it was just the plug and o-ring. I brought it to Teknotik, and they replaced it and bled the system. No leaks yet, the old o-ring was almost completely flat in the groove on the plug. Wonder what other seals would start to have this problem - just had to replace the vtec solenoid seals due to the same thing... old car.

Glad it was a simple fix.

There is no reason for that plastic plug and rubber o-ring to fail, except for a mechanic with hair on his/her palms tightening the plug with a wrench or pliers. Finger tight is all that is ever needed.

When I flush my system, I remove the plug and wipe the o-ring with silicon grease. The original o-ring is still soft and compliant.

Back