• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Would you get rid of a '92 bone stock and get a 2015 M3?

Trading an NSX for a '15 M3?

• Why not!?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sell me your NSX!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HDA

Experienced Member
Would you do it?

I test drove a friend's M3 last night and fell in love with it.
I need to get a 4 door car for work, debating whether to do boring daily + NSX or getting the new M3.

I know, I know - I am asking the wrong forum although we can all agree about the advancement that automotive technology has made in the past 5 years is astonishing. And if you disagree, you haven't driven an M3 yet :) !!.
I understand that the 2 cars are on 2 different planets, but if you were given the option what would you do?

I am also considering the combo Chevy SS + NSX but I do not see the logic in having 2 fun cars.

Good point JD. 2015 M3's start at 62 grand..

If you have the space to have a daily + NSX, I'd do that.

If you can afford a daily + NSX, I'd do that.

If you can afford a FUN daily + NSX, why the hell not?

This might be a silly question, but have you driven your NSX lately? Usually that's the cure all.

That being said, I'm sure there's someone out there who would love your bone stock NA1. Just make sure you're not going to regret it [emoji13].

Lucas

Last edited:
If you NSX is an Automatic then yes trade it...... if its either a 5-speed or 6-speed DO NOT TRADE FOR A SHEEP CAR so many on the road you blend in with the other sheep cars.

in an NSX you get treated like a king and you get more looks than a vette and if you see a guy driving a Ferrari or Lambo they usually wave at you because they know your car is just as cool as theirs

Haha good one jd. All I know is I have raced an m3 when my car was na and I still have my Nsx nuff said. Plus the m was the color of bubblegum wtf.

Haha good one jd. All I know is I have raced an m3 when my car was na and I still have my Nsx nuff said. Plus the m was the color of bubblegum wtf.

I don't know why people keep calling their NSX's NA1 when they mean 91-96 3.0 manual.

I have an NSX and an M3. Great combo.

But I had the NSX first and I will still have it long after the M3 is gone. One is a fun car, and one is a timeless future classic.

My two cents :redface:

Im confused why you asked if he had a 2005 automatic?

His post is about trading an NA1.
NA1 NSX's were made from 1991-1996 with a manual transmission and 1991-2005 with an automatic transmssion.
The terms NA1 and NA2 refer only to engines not body style.
His post just says NA1 so it could be a 2005 automatic or a 1991 manual hence my question.

Ok let me specify, it is a 1992 manual in red. Better?

Of course it wouldn't be a straight trade, just like they would not give me a boring daily driver for free. Sometimes i think people read the topic title and then hit reply...

I have a spec miata to race, here i am just talking about the potential combination of having a well rounded fun car like a base model 15 m3 manual.

About being treated in a certain way in the nsx, i dont really care to be honest.

Ok let me specify, it is a 1992 manual in red. Better?

Of course it wouldn't be a straight trade, just like they would not give me a boring daily driver for free. Sometimes i think people read the topic title and then hit reply...

I have a spec miata to race, here i am just talking about the potential combination of having a well rounded fun car like a base model 15 m3 manual.

HDA you asked forum members for an opinion.

You didn't state what NSX you would be giving up, nor how much extra you would have to pay to get the BMW.
You only gave us an NA1 description so your NSX could be anything from a 91 coupe to an 05 automatic.

So before you accuse the posters of just reading your post title and hitting reply, reread your post.
You can't blame us for responding based on what you said, instead of based on what you were thinking.

Last edited:
Jd I said na. Naturally aspirated with exhaust, gears, chipped etc etc. Was faster than the m car which I found surprising but that how it went down. Although it was an older m3 maybe they are faster now

Last edited:
I would keep NSX and get daily. This way you'll love NSX even more ;)

Here's link to Nick's review if you're interested:

I would keep NSX and get daily. This way you'll love NSX even more ;)

Here's link to Nick's review if you're interested:

Thanks!

Let me clarify as I was probably not clear enough in my first post.

I have a 1992 Manual bone stock NSX and I am now in need of getting a sedan/SUV/Wagon for work.

Since the combined value of my 2 cars (NSX + Sedan/SUV/Wagon) would be $70k I am thinking if I shouldn't just have one, fun car: the new M3.
I have always been a sucker for older cars, when I was 10 I used to do rallyes with my dad in his old Lancia Flavia HF. The connection you get to those cars when driving them is fascinating, regardless the speed you are driving at.

When I test drove the new M3 last week I was blown away by the leap forward that technology has made in the past 20 years and how refined the new M3 is. What a toy!

Therefore I ask myself: am I just being an ostridge by driving my 22 years old car and ignoring where the world is going in terms of car performance, technology and overall experience?

I guess my real question is: aren't you guys tempted by the amazing new cars that are coming out? Did you ever consider selling your NSX to "modernize" yourself?
Am I the only one? :)

Last edited:
Your situation is much clearer now.
If your life has changed with family or other and you now need a four seat/SUV, you do have a dilemma.
You can certainly get a new/newer performance sedan/wagon/SUV that will fill the need for seats and still be fun to drive.

However I think you will miss the NSX even if it won't be driven much for as long as ten years.
A bone stock 92 is a rare car indeed and you will not be able to replace it in the future.
If young children are currently defining your car needs I'd urge you to think down the road a bit.
My three sons and I each have taken road trips in my NSX and my youngest has spoken for it when I no longer need it.
Your 92 will become an heirloom in not so many years.

Over the years I bought beaters for daily drivers and even today I drive a 92 Mercedes wagon as my daily.
Slow, old but has seats and room and I've always got my NSX for those days when you need something more.

as an observation many of the nsxprimeates have DD vehicles...we keep the nsx because it satisfies the exotic sports car need in an analog way.You on the other hand need it for transportation....Heck if you need vestigial back seats but like the looks of the nsx look at the lotus evora.

HDA, firstly, as you mentioned, you are asking on the wrong forum. 99.9% of the people here will tell you to keep the NSX because for most of us, the NSX is irreplacable.

The fact that you even consider trading up the NSX for the m3 already tells us a lot about how you feel towards the NSX. I definitely say go with your heart. If you can give up the NSX for the M3, by all means, go for it! The new M3 is a fantastic 4 door rocket that not only looks good, drives supurb, and actually kinda fuel economical. I have only driven the M3 once (though, a 2014 model) and compared to my Tuned E90 335i, it is for sure leaps and bounds better in every way - and more livable as a DD.

Good Luck with choosing!!

For myself, i will definitely get a cheaper DD and keep the NSX. that is actually what i did. Bought a 335i and tuned it, and eventual save enought dough for E63 wagon

Thanks!

Let me clarify as I was probably not clear enough in my first post.

I have a 1992 Manual bone stock NSX and I am now in need of getting a sedan/SUV/Wagon for work.

Since the combined value of my 2 cars (NSX + Sedan/SUV/Wagon) would be $70k I am thinking if I shouldn't just have one, fun car: the new M3.
I have always been a sucker for older cars, when I was 10 I used to do rallyes with my dad in his old Lancia Flavia HF. The connection you get to those cars when driving them is fascinating, regardless the speed you are driving at.

When I test drove the new M3 last week I was blown away by the leap forward that technology has made in the past 20 years and how refined the new M3 is. What a toy!

Therefore I ask myself: am I just being an ostridge by driving my 22 years old car and ignoring where the world is going in terms of car performance, technology and overall experience?

I guess my real question is: aren't you guys tempted by the amazing new cars that are coming out? Did you ever consider selling your NSX to "modernize" yourself?
Am I the only one? :)
This is interesting point. One of the reasons I like NSX is that it gives me a chance to enjoy basic sensation of driving. Look I was blown away how well balanced and sorted golf tdi is when I bought one. Sure modern cars are great in many regards especially getting you from point a to point b kind of stuff. Ideally I would prefer fast sedan most likely german fast and toys like nsx, 3.0 csi, alfa gtv, 911sc etc to experience what I remember from my childhood times. Unless pressed against the wall I would prefer daily+toy setup. Good luck either way. Whatever makes you happy mate..

Like you said, it's really the most apples to oranges comparison you can make.

The new M3/M4 is a very fast and practical car, but IMO it is more of a technological feat. From all the reviews I've read/seen, alot of people feel that the F8x has taken a step back in terms of actual driver involvement, which includes the steering feel, aural experience, and the precision of the DCT.

In contrast, the NSX is not all that practical and certainly not fast by modern standards. However, it is all about the driving experience. The manual steering rack, the shifter feel, the high-revving V6 - all of it is meant to involve you. For me, this is why I drive cars.

Have you considered going with a late model E90 M3 instead of the F80? That would be a great blend of technology and functionality from a modern, fast 4-door sedan with a slightly more analog driving experience that is akin to the NSX. And with an ESS supercharger, you could handily beat a new M3 (along with 99% of the other cars on the road).

And RE: Chevy SS + NSX, that would be a great combo too. The point of having two "fun" cars like that would be that they provide completely different types of driving fun.

1) Take 3k put a new suspension in the nsx.
2) Buy a 13 or 14 depreciated M.
3) Go to Disney with savings.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies. I really enjoy reading the perspectives of NSXPrimers, although biased eheh
First some history: my first car was a 1990 Civic ED7. Then an 98 Integra Type R DC2. Then a 05 Honda S2000 AP2. Now the NSX. You can clearly see that to me VTEC, Hondas and high RPMS are not a temporary passion!

We must separate the passion for one specific car (the NSX) and the passion for cars in general. I think that the first type of passion makes us blind to what other, newer cars have achieved in terms of refinement, performance, involvement.

After a week I have to admit that the more I let "marinate" the thought of getting the new M3 as a DD + fun car the less I am convinced about it being what I really want.

There are great deals on the used E90 but it just didn't click when I drove one on the track. The true M3 for me is only the E46 CSL...see?! Again! Stuck with old cars!

I guess I should just get around to install on the NSX the Taitec and the Konis I have sitting in the garage and then go for a midnight drive around downtown. And forget about all this!

Quick update!

During Christmas break I installed a Taitec GTLW and the air scoop thingy under the left fender.

After the install I put away all the tools, washed my hands, took my time and sat in the car. Key in the ignition, 1/4 of a turn check lights on, check lights off.

Pause. Silence in my open garage.

Deep breath.

What a gorgeous sound. I smiled to my puppy seating next to me. and the new M3 was a memory far away. I drove for 40 miles around downtown, downshifting under any bridge!

Ah, yes, I then bought a new Accord Touring :smile:

Back