• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What's your strategy for securing the new NSX ?

The agreements are standard Acura dealership agreements they use for every car.
Nothing special about the paperwork.

Standard agreements have terms like colour, trim level, options, and a price. AFAIK, none of those are known yet, so what is it that you and the dealer have actually agreed to?

I'm very skeptical of most dealerships so please forgive my negative view on this situation. My experiences in the past have often been less than plesant.

Seemingly dealers will only have 1 display car and the rest are factory order. I find this perplexing in that you'd think Honda would want 2-5 on the lot upon release as people will come in cash in hand. If Honda were smart they would allow guys like JD Cross and others to pre-order using the known ordering specs and have their cars arrive upon dealer inventory release.

I've also read that the NSX production will be around 5 per day or close to R8 production numbers. Assuming a full years production thats only (5/day x5 days = 25/week x 52 weeks) 1,300 per year.

I'm excited to see how this will all play out once the car actually releases to the dealers. It will be an exciting 2015!

Last edited:
Standard agreements have terms like colour, trim level, options, and a price. AFAIK, none of those are known yet, so what is it that you and the dealer have actually agreed to? I'm very skeptical of most dealerships so please forgive my negative view on this situation. My experiences in the past have often been less than plesant.

The details not yet known like colour and other options are normally shown as TBA on the forms.
Again nothing new here. Would be the same as ordering any other Acura with the colour and options to be decided.

Being sceptical of dealers is fine and most of us have had less than satisfactory experiences at dealerships.
It's easy to be critical of a problem but harder to come up with a solution.
What your solution would be?

The solution is to have Honda (corporate) lay out a set of policies and procedures for how ALL dealerships handle the pre-order process.

But somehow that would be anti-competitive :rolleyes:

Seemingly dealers will only have 1 display car and the rest are factory order. If Honda were smart they would allow guys like JD Cross and others to pre-order using the known ordering specs and have their cars arrive upon dealer inventory release. I've also read that the NSX production will be around 5 per day or close to R8 production numbers. Assuming a full years production that's only (5/day x5 days = 25/week x 52 weeks) 1,300 per year. I'm excited to see how this will all play out once the car actually releases to the dealers. It will be an exciting 2015!

I'm hoping once the dealers have all the specs on color, options etc. they will ask those of us with deposits to fill in the blanks.
The info we're getting from the dealer is NSX allocation will be based on the historical volume of cars a dealership has sold.
I believe there are about 400 Acura dealerships in North America. If say 500 NSX's are exported to Japan/UK etc that would only leave a few cars per dealership here at least for the first year.

According to my Honda source, on the original launch apparently USA dealers placed large orders for the NSX anticipating future sales which after the initial flurry cooled off.
That resulted in unsold NSX's on the docks and dealer discounting started, ruining any aura of exclusivity the NSX had and the car is only now recovering some of that aura.

This launch they're determined to maintain exclusivity which is really important in this market segment.
They don't want unsold inventory at the dealerships lest discounting begin again.
Hence the made to order program. I for one am hoping they stick to it and make one less car than they can sell. :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

The solution is to have Honda (corporate) lay out a set of policies and procedures for how ALL dealerships handle the pre-order process. But somehow that would be anti-competitive :rolleyes:

Apparently allowed under UK policy as Honda UK has been very rational in their approach
Here I believe anti-trust law requires a different approach.

What's your real world solution?

We both know the solution lies in the decision-making ability of each and every individual consumer.

That's a better response than a critique of dealers and a critique of people sharing their approach to buying the new NSX.

Standard agreements have terms like colour, trim level, options, and a price. AFAIK, none of those are known yet, so what is it that you and the dealer have actually agreed to?

I'm very skeptical of most dealerships so please forgive my negative view on this situation. My experiences in the past have often been less than plesant.

Price quoted on my agreement form is "Honda Canada MSRP at time of delivery, subject to customer approval of pricing and finish." So whatever the "official" price of the car is what I'm supposed to be paying.

My plan is to keep my current NSX and buy the new NSX in twenty years. Hey it worked the last time...

I had no idea there were different rules on this kind of thing in the UK.

I just rang up and said I want a place in the queue, here's my money. I signed nothing, but my place is secure and my deposit fully refundable due to the absence of details. If they tried to not honour the deal, I make a huge stink out of it, plus I can't see the dealer wanting to piss off a repeat customer prepared to spend the kind of money they are talking about, especially one who has brought them in another deposit holder.

Got to say I don't envy the US position on this.

Because of this trend there are many people in the UK who order cars speculatively with a view to selling their place in the queue for a profit. This tends to happen often on every 911 GT3, new astons, and the odd over subscribed ferrari.

Years and years ago, I think it was 2004 or 2005, I placed a $1,000 deposit on the HSC. The salesman at the Acura dealership had no idea what it was, but I told him I didn't know what it would be called, but it was to be the new NSX. Years went by, the Acura dealership is still in business, and I inquired about my deposit. Apparently it had gone into a state collections fund. I was able to get my money back pretty easily from the state, but it's odd that my deposit didn't stay as is, as my phone number, address, and email address have not changed...

Saving $$ until the R version comes out. If it comes out. Crosses fingers.

I'm hoping the buyers of the base NSX 2.0 will get first call on the type-r much as Ferrari offers special editions to their existing customers first.

Acura needs every sale it can get....presently they have dogs in their current lineup that are going nowhere.

If you have the money (or credit score), you'll get an NSX if you want one.

My opinion......

Back