• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

4C vs. NSX

No contest. The NSX is the winner -- hands down.

I'm surprised at the negative sentiment. It seems pretty neat to me, especially considering the price. For people who value light weight, it's a lot nicer and more available than an Exige. I think the reported harshness may also have something to do with the options on all the early cars. But it will be interesting to see how they do over the next couple years.

And thank you for posting, Leongboy.

No manual transmission? Shame shame shame. That seals the deal for me. NSX all the way.

One thing not mentioned: the dealers are tacking on LOTS extras - big wheels, CF everything, etc.... one at a dealer near me has a window sticker of $91K. Ridiculous!

To be honest, I find it silly when people do charts comparing things like horsepower and weight. Its so silly, anyone with half a brain can tell which number is higher. Thats what people do when they're trying to buy a family sedan, or daily driver.

You look at these two cars, and chances are, who's ever buying them isn't going to buy it because it checked more boxes off on the spec sheet.

They're both fun pleasure cars. The reward is qualitative in nature, not quantitative.

I think the 4C looks good, kinda a bummer that you can't get a stick. I like the manual steering and super light weight. I'd really like to drive one to give a real answer.

But I'm sure I'd go with the NSX all the way :D.

Lucas

Those high dealer prices on the 4C are just markups. All of the Launch Edition cars are spec'd the same. When the newness wears off, i can see nabbing a std edition with a few options for msrp myself. DCT aside - its a raw driving experience - more of a throwback than other new cars.

I have all stick cars at the moment - and i like a basic mechanical car - but a dct is a cool invention. I would not refuse to buy a new car purely for the no stick option. That being said, kudos to Jaguar for the stick option on the turbo 6 F-Type.

Just drove by our Alfa dealer (Alfa and Fiat combined). I saw the 4C in the window. Pretty nice looking from 50' and 40mph away. I will be in that neighborhood tomorrow so I may just stop in and look.

yea, im not exactly sure how the 4c can really be dissed. It is a modern drivers car. Lets all face the fact that itll be a sad day when there are no more manual vehicles, but its coming soon. And idk about anyone on here but having a dct is a pretty nice substitute in traffic. I will probably pick up a 4c myself bc modern is nice, its different looking vehicle, has a fun and interesting interior, it seems fun to drive and i cant wait to mod one. dealer hype msrp does need to come down tho

Last edited:
...on the dual clutch transmissions -- don't knock them 'til you've lived with one for awhile... My wife has an R32 VW, I've done some mods (stock cars are such a bore) and believe me when I say I would put a DCT in my NSX in a heartbeat if one were available. They're spectacularly fast. Once you've lived with one you'll never go back.
Also, because of the R32 I'll never buy another car that's not all-wheel drive. (i've moded the VW's Haldex system so torque can be shifted front/middle/rear at the twist of a knob.) Lovely!

Last edited:
I saw one out on the road last night. Great looking car in person. It's the right size. I can't imagine you can see much out the back of it - typical Italian nonexistent rearward visibility.

However, it sounds like complete ass. I've described it to my friends as the sound of "snorting coke through a leaf blower". It's all snarl and crackle. As if someone saw all the positive press that the Jag F-type gets for popping and crackling once in a while and made their exhaust 100% that and nothing else. Madness...

If the engine could be coaxed into some more musical tonality and some clever tuners can laptop some additional horses and torques out of it... it will be quite something.

The 4C is wider than the NSX:

DSC_0847_zps5a990555.jpg

SS

The 4C is a lovely bit of kit. I would be proud to have one in my garage. I wouldn't drive it much. Mostly I'd just look at it. No, wait. Then there wouldn't be anywhere to keep my NSX out of the rain. Never mind.

I saw one in person the other day getting a clear bra job!

Car looks amazing in person but the guy who drove it back to dealer told me the ride is BONE JARRING comparable if not worse than the GT3. Definitely not a livable DD and makes the NSX feel like a Bentley in comparison.

I'm scheduled to drive one this week so will report back. Car is a stunner look wise and the exposed CF tub is a true work of art! I would say it's as wide as the exotic cars (Lambo, Ferrari, Vette, etc)

I would love to drive a 4C. However, I think it needs a high revving engine instead of a turbo 4.

exactly.....I'm thinking lotus esprit redux Italian style.....all presence with ornamental muscle.

Its easier to be funny when you have a very humorous and clever guy like Gleibig to play off.

I drove my brother's 4C today, not extensively but it was fun. (For reference, my old NSX was bone stock and my current one has BC coilovers, Comptech antiroll bars, and Cedar Ridge noncompliance bits; a CTSC; and brakes from a Porsche 997S.)

The 4C seems like a pretty excellent car to me. Yes it's a bit loud (it's the launch edition with the louder exhaust version). Plenty quick through second gear although upwards towards triple-digit speeds it starts to show its low power.

Steering and brake feel is fantastic. It turns in to corners in a way the NSX never has. Really quite nice. I didn't get any of the tramlining the 4C has been criticized for, but also didn't drive on the freeway. The brake pedal is rock solid in a way that I have perhaps not ever felt; very nice. The chassis was very tight, and noticeably stiffer than the NSX. Getting in/out is not as convenient as the NSX. Nor is there much storage space. Anywhere.

The transmission was generally quick to shift but sometimes a bit clunky (not from a standstill but while moving) and shifts could be sometimes strangely timed/delayed. I didn't use race mode or launch control, as it was a generally tame session on the streets. I quite liked the digital dash display.

I would love to drive the 4C in an autocross, since I've been spending a good bit of time there in my NSX. Or on a track. I may get to drive it a bit more when we return from Indy.

"Unlikely Rivals" the article is right on that. The 4C could be compared to a small Lotus, that would make more sense, it's all business and not about creature comfort. It's also a real beauty, very few cars today are such good lookers in this kind of price segment.
I have shots of the prototype that was shown in Geneva Auto Show in 2011, the matte paint was really impressive:
i-25NkddQ-L.jpg

i-gMPc8Rf-L.jpg

My brother's last fun car was a Lotus Exige S240, and the 4C is a lot nicer and more solid. Driving dynamics do seem fairly similar, which is a compliment.

Back