• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Urethane Suspension Bushing Kit in Development

Just wanted to let everyone know that Dee Engineering in Los Angeles CA is currently using my car to develop urethane suspension bushings for the NSX. I managed to convince them at SEMA that the NSX community needs a source for these parts besides Honda, and they agreed.

To buy all replacement OEM bushings from Honda would be over $7000, because most are not available without purchasing the associated suspension component.
This kit will offer an affordable upgrade to those whose rubber bushings are beginning to deteriorate after 20+ years.

Not sure on the exact release date for the kit, but R&D on my car should be completed January/February 2015.

thanks for starting that ball rolling

That's great. Mine are definitely getting creaky, and so far my options have been:

1) Install aftermarket non-compliance stuff (seems like overkill as I don't track the car)
2) Buy a whole new subframe member from Honda for thousands of dollars as you mentioned.

We desperately need an option 3 - OEM equivalent bushings that are easily installed and removed.

So yay! I'm really looking forward to this.

great idea.

What about the known brands like Energysuspension, Hardrace, Superflex ...

I have really good experiences with superlex and Energysuspension. Great stuff.

Bernhard

great idea.

What about the known brands like Energysuspension, Hardrace, Superflex ...

I have really good experiences with superlex and Energysuspension. Great stuff.

Bernhard

Dee Engineering produces the Prothane line of urethane bushings. I've installed their stuff in several vehicles with great results.

Very interested as well. Thanks for doing this.

What effect would the ureathane bushings have on the ride? I assume a stiffer ride, but I have not ever used them. Also don't want a kidney killer.

Ride is a bit stiffer, definitely noisy (adds a few squeaks), but firmer and incredibly precise. Kills any fuzzy in high speed brakings and considerably improves the dynamics of the car. I had those on my Prelude and it transformed the car.

Its not totally right that urethane bushings make everything better. Often, the suspension design relays on some movement of the rubber bushings to adjust the alignment at specific load situations. If you make the bushings too stiff you may loose this effect. That was especially true for the Integra Type-R but I don't know if its also the case on NSXs

But for the most part, as said in previous posts, poly bushes are great and improve the dynamics. Especially if you replace 20 year old bushings with them.

Bernhard

This is a great thing to see, since almost all of our NSX bushings are past their service life. But, I think we should make sure the stiffness of the bushing strikes a good balance between comfort and performance, since as mentioned above, most people don't track their cars and the few who do usually just go full non-compliance. Thus, I would move the needle more towards comfort/OEM-replacement than a track star.

I would be nice to have the option to replace the worn tired bushings. I would be willing to pay a premium for quality parts that don't squeak and tighten the car up even at the cost of some ride quality.

The only thing I found available when looking for urethane bushings is the SOS steering rack bushings these made a noticeable difference in the "feel" of the car as my OEM ones were beat.

A kit that was complete overhaul would be a popular product for sure.

They *will* squeak no matter what unless you keep em coated under a lot of grease. Even with very durable ship stuff (which is almost impossible to get off your fingers.. use gloves) you have about 2 years until the grease gets worn off.

They *will* squeak no matter what unless you keep em coated under a lot of grease. Even with very durable ship stuff (which is almost impossible to get off your fingers.. use gloves) you have about 2 years until the grease gets worn off.

If this is the case I cant see them selling well. Limiting a market, on a limited production car. Makes sense why none of the major aftermarket manufactures aren't producing them already. I could put up with a harsher ride or more over the road feel but if it squeaks that would drive me nuts.

Last edited:
I have to grease my poly swaybar bushing at least 2x a year. Once the poly develops cracks it sucks up grease like crazy.

I'm glad someone is pursuing this. The NSX community needs it. I just hope everyone who wants a set realizes the drawbacks and especially the increase in NVH.

I have to grease my poly swaybar bushing at least 2x a year. Once the poly develops cracks it sucks up grease like crazy.

I'm glad someone is pursuing this. The NSX community needs it. I just hope everyone who wants a set realizes the drawbacks and especially the increase in NVH.

I wish someone would just reproduce them with rubber like OEM...

+1 on looking forward to this.

If Dee Engineering has the resources, perhaps they can also cast some urethane engine mount inserts, too?

You know what's weird, Regan, is that I have the CT (old style) bars on my car with poly bushes and they have NEVER squeaked. Installed in 2000 and never greased since 2008 when I got the car. I daily my NSX in all 4 seasons. Totally silent. Crazy! Maybe I should find out what uber-grease they used lol.

I did a bit more looking into poly suspension bushes and they do work well, but you need to make sure to select the correct duometer hardness (70A seems to be the most popular for OEM replacement) for each part and regular greasing is necessary every couple of years to keep them quiet. I'm willing to do the greasing maintenance, so count me as interested.

Delrin is a hard plastic that does not give the conical motion that mono balls or poly bushings allow. Delrin is better for control arms that pivot on the same axis and it also absorbs water .

I had poly engine, trans, subframe, diff, and suspension bushings in my e36 m3 and they never made a sound. But they had a tendency to wear out the center of the bushibf and cause some clunking after 10-15k miles or so and needed replacing.

Thanks for the feedback Billy. I would assume all of the bearings would have to be pressed out? We would also have to separate the ball joints, right? How easy would it be to replace these when they wear out?

The hardest part is pressing the old bushing out, and yes the balljoints will need to be separated to remove the arms. Depending on the design of the poly bushing, typically they are 2-pieces with a center steel 'pin' and are super easy to replace by hand for future servicing.

Back