• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What have you paid for a paint "restoration" recently?

Hey Primers, I am planning to hand over my Sebring Silver NSX for its first detail, probably ever. My logic is to let the pros do the work first time around and then I would maintain. The paint is near perfect in some areas, not so crisp in others.

Am looking to do entire exterior except front bumper as it is beyond paint repair, it needs respray. I expect the roof to be polished up as well.

I am expecting about $600 for a two day job. Is this on par with what you have paid?

Thanks in advance.

800.00 for a 10 hour day at my place including travel expenses.

It depends on who you have do it and what you're having done. I have a guy that painted my entire Widebody Vette I built for $600 cash but I did all the prep work, finish work, and fitting of the panels (thats just a spray job). I had him put extra clear on it so I could wet sand and polish the hell out of it so the paint looks wet all the time. Very happy with the results but I did most of the work myself.

If you're taking it to a Shop that specializes in automotive collision repair I would expect to pay more then $600 for a respray thats for sure. Paint correction it can get costly. Its also area specific and who you have and trust to do the job.

Last edited:
I paid $325 earlier this year. Great job bringing the very tired paint to life and they were able to buff out most of the scratches. However, they did not do any actual paint work. I have 120k miles of chips that I would love to get touched up, but I haven't found a good shop to do it.

For an exterior wash, paint correction, polish and wax you should expect a full days detail. The costs tend to vary according to the part of the country you live in, but I expect your $600 dollar figure is on the high end.

For an exterior wash, paint correction, polish and wax you should expect a full days detail. The costs tend to vary according to the part of the country you live in, but I expect your $600 dollar figure is on the high end.

I recently paid 400 for the services you laid out including detailing under the hood & engine hatch. Interior detail would have been another 150 or so.

I got a price of $1000 to do my R8. I laughed at the guy and went and bought my own stuff. I'm sure he would've done it better, but I actually found it all to be quite relaxing and enjoyed it. You can get a complete kit for around $500.

Where are you located?

800.00 for a 10 hour day at my place including travel expenses.

I will accept on the following terms:

1) You serve Beckerovka
2) You have a cot for me to sleep it off
3) You are not more than a five hour drive from me

Kidding to the above of course.

On the other end of the spectrum, I paid $1300 for a two day detail when I first bought the vehicle. Was a pretty hefty price and I am pretty sure I would go lower end in the future but it did produce a noticeable difference to many people. I didn't really see a big difference, but I tend not to. The service included "completely correcting all top surfaces, so everything from the body line up will be swirl free and fully corrected. Everything from the body line down will be polished just won’t have as much correction as the top surfaces but still will have that crazy looking gloss for your red. The only way noticeable is by taking a handheld light and directly looking at the two to see the difference."

Incidentally, what I went with was option 1, option 2 was a 2-3 day deal and just over $2000.

Last edited:
I should clarify...I am not looking for any paint or clearcoat to go on the car. My goal is to have the paint (and scratches) buffed back to as original as possible. I would think this is a detailer job.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I am talking about.

So...just made it home with the car. I will post photos shortly.

Short story...I am impressed with the results. I asked for a paint correction, he advised against it...just yet. Said, let's try a proper wax job and detail inside. Fine with me. After the job was done, he again advised against it. Said that if I was satisfied with the work, let's keep it as is. I agreed.

I was blown away with how much better the car looks. I am going to need to address the bumper on the front, still. This detailer not only fixed some pretty bad spots he also buffed the rear lenses. The car looks almost showroom new in some spots (obviously, 330K of chips cannot be ignored).

I love the work and I only paid $250.

- - - Updated - - -

Rear.jpgPaint front.jpgDF Low.jpgPaint under light.jpgRoof.jpgOld Fiat.jpgGood shot.jpgRear Two.jpgMeh shot.jpg

Okay, don't judge me on the wheels. I needed a spare set while the OEMs were getting new shoes.

Wow. Looks great. It is amazing what a good detail shop can do. I'd still like to get a couple of scratches touched up on mine as well, but I haven't found the right person to do the work.

Wow. Looks great. It is amazing what a good detail shop can do. I'd still like to get a couple of scratches touched up on mine as well, but I haven't found the right person to do the work.

My guy had a 2oz bottle of paint mixed up for me. I think he must have thought he might touch up the paint. Not sure. Nice gesture though.

Come to Chicago and I will introduce you. I now am responsible for Indy (for work) so I will drive the silver beauty down there sometime in the spring.

I just paid $0 to have a cf hood, cf 02 rear valence, stacy side skirts with door cards, and the front bumper sprayed where we got rid of the front logo. I did pay $900 for the base coat, mid coat, clear, hardener, reducer and I did all of the prep work myself. My neighbor painted the car in his booth for free though. Turned out AMAZING. I still need to finish wet sanding, buffing, and polishing though.

-Alec

So...just made it home with the car. I will post photos shortly.

Short story...I am impressed with the results. I asked for a paint correction, he advised against it...just yet. Said, let's try a proper wax job and detail inside. Fine with me. After the job was done, he again advised against it. Said that if I was satisfied with the work, let's keep it as is. I agreed.

I was blown away with how much better the car looks. I am going to need to address the bumper on the front, still. This detailer not only fixed some pretty bad spots he also buffed the rear lenses. The car looks almost showroom new in some spots (obviously, 330K of chips cannot be ignored).

I love the work and I only paid $250.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 120228View attachment 120229View attachment 120230View attachment 120231View attachment 120232View attachment 120233View attachment 120234View attachment 120235View attachment 120236

Okay, don't judge me on the wheels. I needed a spare set while the OEMs were getting new shoes.

............lol so after all you really just got a detail...not a correction...am I correct?

............lol so after all you really just got a detail...not a correction...am I correct?

Right.

He told me to go get the front bumper addressed. When that gets done, he thought they would need to blend I the good and fenders. If that wS going to be the case, why bother with correction.

Made sense at the time.

What would you have done?

I paid $1650 for a full paint correction plus a C Quartz Finest application. I thought my paint was in impeccable condition but was shocked when the detailer sent me pictures of my paint after he stripped the wax. Apparently wax can hide a lot of paint imperfections on a 23 year old car. Was it worth it? I'll leave that up to the jury, but my car looks great now and I have peace of mind knowing the paint is every bit as pretty underneath the wax/coating.

Last edited:
I could of done for you for half that cost and give you the same resort if not better. :wink:

No hiding from under the wax/coating, straight paint correction. I haven't even C quartz it yet either.:wink:

20150219_194710.jpg

20150219_222712.jpg

20150219_164529.jpg

I paid $1650 for a full paint correction plus a C Quartz Finest application. I thought my paint was in impeccable condition but was shocked when the detailer sent me pictures of my paint after he stripped the wax. Apparently wax can hide a lot of paint imperfections on a 23 year old car. Was it worth it? I'll leave that up to the jury, but my car looks great now and I have peace of mind knowing the paint is every bit as pretty underneath the wax/coating.

Pics don't show up. Did they have to paint some of the car as well? Did you go to Excessive Detailing?

- - - Updated - - -

For me the rock chips annoy me the most. I am due for a repaint and clear bra.

Last edited:
I could of done for you for half that cost and give you the same resort if not better. :wink:

No hiding from under the wax/coating, straight paint correction. I haven't even C quartz it yet either.:wink:

Caroline- That is my daughter's name.

Why don't you come up to Chicago and do some work on my paint? I will take you up on the offer. Then, we can cruise up to see Vasos and drive some backroads.

Sound fun?

View attachment 121039

View attachment 121041

View attachment 121044

Why don't you come up to Chicago and do some work on my paint? I will take you up on the offer. Then, we can cruise up to see Vasos and drive some backroads.

Sound fun?

Sound fun?

Lets do it! You gona pay for the round trip too right?!

Back