• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Verification of Radar Data

Has anyone had the experience or opportunity to request to see the reading on a radar gun that was used as the basis for writing a speeding ticket. I have had two experiences. The first was many years ago where the officer offered to show me his radar gun because we were both quite surprised that my little 4 cylinder could actually go that fast. He turned out to be a nice guy with local authority, ended up letting me go and saved me from the State Trooper who was waiting a few miles down the road. My second and most recent experience was quite different. Before I could even get my window down this guy was yelling the speed that he claims I was traveling. Because it was only 15mph over the limit on a state highway with no traffic, his overly dramitic demeaner seemed excesive, and to be quite honest, I think he was trying to pad the bill for who knows what. When I requested to see the reading on his radar gun, he hitched up his pants, lowered his voice, and stated that his radar gun was calibrated at 8:05am that morning. I'm not one who likes to be given the brush off when asking a direct question, so I asked again. Same answer. After a bit more discussion he stated "Sir, for the third time I am telling you that my radar gun was calibrated this morning and if you disagree, you can make your case to the judge." Now the way I see it, the only way that would work was if the judge was sittin in his copper car, so you get the drift. Does anyone know the law on this example where you are assumed guilty and any proof otherwise is considered kept secret by your accuser. I know everybody has lots of stories but I am looking for what my rights are as a citizen and what I can do without getting my ass kicked by some pot bully cop.

I thought they were to show you the reading if you asked to see it. For all the good it might do. How do you know the speed on the gun is yours, and not some other car shot previously?

Has anyone had the experience or opportunity to request to see the reading on a radar gun that was used as the basis for writing a speeding ticket... Because it was only 15mph over the limit on a state highway with no traffic, his overly dramitic demeaner seemed excesive, and to be quite honest, I think he was trying to pad the bill for who knows what. ... I know everybody has lots of stories but I am looking for what my rights are as a citizen and what I can do without getting my ass kicked by some pot bully cop.

Stop your crying. You admit to going 15 over the posted limit. Take your ticket like a man and pay the fine. Go to traffic school if you don't want to get the points on your license.

Case closed.

Last edited:
+1 I don't even care anymore I am scared to look at how many points I currently have LOL

its hard though to drive slow in an NSX

They do not need to show you the radar reading. In fact they don't need radar at all to write a ticket. Estimating your speed is enough. Radar is just a second piece of evidence. If you look at your ticket, it's likely the cop checked off both radar and estimated that way if you go to court you have to beat both methods used to measure your speed. If we decide to speed, we all know the consequences. You shouldn't be surprised that you get caught from time to time. Small price to pay to safely enjoy an amazing car the way it's meant to be enjoyed. If you think about all the times you didn't get caught, it doesn't hurt as much :)

Last edited:
FWIW, if you are clocked and ticketed by laser, the excuse you got someone else will never work. I had the pleasure of operating a laser unit by a friend whom is a traffic officer. They work incredibly fast, they tell you how many feet away you were at the time he got you. In most cases the judge will not even hear your case if it's laser related.

FWIW, if you are clocked and ticketed by laser, the excuse you got someone else will never work. I had the pleasure of operating a laser unit by a friend whom is a traffic officer. They work incredibly fast, they tell you how many feet away you were at the time he got you. In most cases the judge will not even hear your case if it's laser related.
The OP is calling it Radar. Laser can only be used if the police car is stationary. I also believe a laser unit will not work through glass. A radar/laser detector might be a worthwhile investment!

The OP is calling it Radar. Laser can only be used if the police car is stationary. I also believe a laser unit will not work through glass. A radar/laser detector might be a worthwhile investment!
Laser detection is almost worthless. Except maybe when you're not violating anything and just want to know you're being hit with the beam. With laser guns there is only one way to go - jam it.

The responses given above are all correct.

The police officer is not required to show anyone his radar (may vary by jurisdiction). Furthermore, the radar is only calibrated when it is manufactured. It is then checked with a tuning fork at the beginning of the day. I used to tune mine after every traffic stop. If asked "when was it 'calibrated'" I would then just say something like, "10 minutes ago."

Police cars also often have "certified speedometers." Basically, they can use their own speedo to match your speed and "clock" you that way. Not only that, but some police cars are equipped with radar on the dash. It clocks the police car's speed, and the speed of anyone ahead of (and sometimes, behind, if there is a radar back there, too) the car. The radar will show the fastest speed that it detects. The officer has merely to observe which car is passing/catching up to/pulling away from other cars to know which car's speed is being displayed.

Finally, in order to be qualified to use radar at all, police officers must be able to look at a vehicle and estimate the speed within 3 mph. If the radar reading is within 3 mph of the estimated speed, then the driver is eligible to be stopped. Most people, with about 1 hour of practice, can estimate speed to within 1 mph on a surprisingly consistent basis.

Back