• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Alternatives to tapatalk

Does anyone have a good alternative to Tapatalk on iOS? The recent update has made it nearly unusable in my opinion and I'm curious if there is another option. There doesn't appear to be a mobile version of the web interface?

There is a mobile version... Click the drop down in the bottom left of the page that says 'nsx prime' and select the 'default mobile style' one...

personally i just use the full page version on my iPhone.

Does anyone have a good alternative to Tapatalk on iOS? The recent update has made it nearly unusable in my opinion and I'm curious if there is another option. There doesn't appear to be a mobile version of the web interface?

+1 ... this last update makes it useless

when I initially downloaded the latest update I gave them a review that it was unusable.

I've used it a bit since then on my iPad on my iPhone 5 and it works fine… Just takes a little bit of getting used to the new UI/interface.

On the iPhone, I don't see the unread count any more; is that wrong? And I feel the wasted space at the top is unfortunate, and each post takes up more vertical space, requiring more scrolling. I'm not clear on what improved in any way. And I don't like how I can no longer hold on the mark-all-read button so more button presses are required.

Last edited:
R.I.P. to the design practice of "it just works." The term "flat design" should be replaced with "hunt around frustratingly until you figure out how an app works."
06be9e024f266a4417fdf467e4af2180.jpg

Are there any apple or app developers here who could shed some light on why all the clinging to flat 2D text based design that receives pretty bad reviews more often than not? Does the apple ios/OS architecture force this w/o options?

Last edited:
As a followup: I realized last night that I can still get to old apps that don't appear from a search of the app store (updated > purchased). So I was able to put Tapatalk Pro back on my phone (I had paid for it long ago). Since it was left by the wayside a while ago, it maintains the old interface. I'm happier with it until the current version makes the appropriate changes.

Tapatalk sucks & is shady. Plus they're always having security problems. Glad I removed it from my site 2 1/2 years ago. Multiple bullets dodged.

Plus a responsive site>>>>>Tapatalk

I've been trying to figure that out too. It seems like an Audi to me. It would be annoying regardless of what it is but that just adds insult to injury.

Tapatalk sucks & is shady. Plus they're always having security problems. Glad I removed it from my site 2 1/2 years ago. Multiple bullets dodged.

Plus a responsive site>>>>>Tapatalk

Can you elaborate on what is shady? E-mail if you prefer. I don't know a ton about them as a company, I just added it because a bunch of members asked for it. I don't really use it myself.

As for security.. Everything always has security problems. If I ruled out software that turned out to have big security holes I would just have to format the drive and close the site. Haha.

Is this an NSX concept or an R8?

c54b71130b568a142a7f8c846989446e.jpg

That is... Odd. I guess they added the pic to their directory? I wonder if I can edit it from my site listing with them. I'll check. Or I wonder if it's the same pic applied to the whole "automotive" category.

That is... Odd. I guess they added the pic to their directory? I wonder if I can edit it from my site listing with them. I'll check. Or I wonder if it's the same pic applied to the whole "automotive" category.

It looks like it was a combination of the two. They added a new place to set a header image (in addition to the forum logo icon that I had already uploaded). Mine was blank since I hadn't logged in since they added that, so I guess they had it applying a generic "automotive" graphic to the site. I just uploaded a pic from NSXPO so at some point that should be the new header image.

Can you elaborate on what is shady? E-mail if you prefer. I don't know a ton about them as a company, I just added it because a bunch of members asked for it. I don't really use it myself.

As for security.. Everything always has security problems. If I ruled out software that turned out to have big security holes I would just have to format the drive and close the site. Haha.
Honestly I can't remember, its been 2 years + since we got rid of them. They basically weren't being honest about something, that much I remember. I'll ask my partner later tonight to see if he remembers. That plus the security problems & the popup of "Open this forum on Tapatalk" which basically takes them away from your ads to theirs where you make less money.

Tapatalk & Vbulletin always seems to have security problems. Xenforo is MUCH better. A few of the main people who were at Vbul basically started it up. The mod community is MUCH stronger, I can go on and on about how much better it is haha. Vbulletin is a thing of the past, Xenforo is the present & future. If you don't believe, visit their site & take a look at the list of big name forums that have made the switch...

Has anyone found an alternative app than tapatalk that accesses the Prime forum, is that the only option? Tapatalk has gone from great to completely frustrating, especially once it started trying to be an advertising & social media interface that happens to access bulletin boards instead of a good bulletin board reader. The ads that attempt to look like normal posts are the final straw. The only thing it's good for is ease of uploading photos since it seems tapatalk hosts the photos instead of Prime, as I've long ago reached the limit for uploading direction to a thread via Prime. Any alternative apps or no dice? Thanks

Has anyone found an alternative app than tapatalk that accesses the Prime forum, is that the only option? Tapatalk has gone from great to completely frustrating, especially once it started trying to be an advertising & social media interface that happens to access bulletin boards instead of a good bulletin board reader. The ads that attempt to look like normal posts are the final straw. The only thing it's good for is ease of uploading photos since it seems tapatalk hosts the photos instead of Prime, as I've long ago reached the limit for uploading direction to a thread via Prime. Any alternative apps or no dice? Thanks

vBulletin comes with a built-in module to support Forum Runner http://www.forumrunner.net/

I have never messed with it and in 5 minutes of trying can't tell whether or not I need to do anything beyond setting it to "enabled" (which it already was).

So one good thing about holding onto my ipad1 with a cracked screen that is forever locked in time to ios5 is that tapatalk is in the very nice and usable old format. Not to rub it in but here's what it used to be like, for a short trip down memory lane. :)

d696dac8a8e109e6c1eda855acdca8fb.jpg

a05ebece8221215a68f224a52342ba41.jpg

9292a710781208b49d6445709cd7c691.jpg

compared to the current space-wasting unintuitive social-app-wannabe with too many ads disguised as actual threads that requires three times as many presses and swipes to do what used to take just one press:

028246c6edfbf2bf2d81ed13ef7e12b4.jpg

8dc3395b006be40ff91de39899878f25.jpg

13700ef6c3fda8849416a7c1e2ea78c3.jpg

Last edited:
Back