• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Home made Mini pressure washer to clean rims

I have experimented every way I could think of to make cleaning rims easier - especially to clean off caustic brake dust [some non-oem pads] after every drive. I have tried paint spray guns, sealants, gas pressure washers etc; but I think I have a winner here. It is light weight - just the handle, a jug and air hose - plus it hooks up and is ready to go in seconds.
And it works.

This is a gravity fed sears sandblaster handle with water/soap, via suction, instead of sand. I have yet to experiment with other cleaners / solutions - I used it the other day on my DD and it worked great - the nsx rims were fairly clean to start but you get the idea. One gallon is good for four tires. Mini hole drilled in jug handle to let air in.
See video: Link

Last edited:
Thats great charles.
I'm going to check sears in a few for the handle. Do you have a part number. ?

Raj: My theory is I can wash the car with waterless in the garage when it is below freezing - saves turning the outdoor water on - Saves product-- I think it may be good for wheel wells, suspension and all over. Campbell has it for 19 bucks. I do have a fairly big compressor, though. I did my Subaru Rims in the background. I did order some sonomax as suggested above but that's more for Summer or when the dust is baked on.

Sears

Campbell at Summit

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have these wheels,

P1200623.jpg

I've been trying to find more information about them, how to clean and care for them. Apparently, some volks have a clear coat and some do not. If there is a clear coat, I cannot polish and run the risk of damaging them by using any kind of cleaner... I wish I knew how to tell. Any suggestions highly appreciated! Very neat trick with the blaster, I recently pressure washed everything I could reach (I Dont own a compressor so stuck with electricity).

Last edited:

P1200623.jpg

I've been trying to find more information about them, how to clean and care for them. Apparently, some volks have a clear coat and some do not. If there is a clear coat, I cannot polish and run the risk of damaging them by using any kind of cleaner... I wish I knew how to tell. Any suggestions highly appreciated! Very neat trick with the blaster, I recently pressure washed everything I could reach (I Dont own a compressor so stuck with electricity).

Post number three on the attached link explains how to best determine if your wheels are just painted, or clear coated or ?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/28495-distinguishing-clear-coated-rims.html

Oh, and Sonax is not temperature dependent, so you can use it year round. For those wanting to clean fender liners, suspension pieces, etc. search out a good Detailers (APC) All purpose cleaner. They can be made in different strengths for different jobs and cost less than a dedicated cleaner. Plus they don't have strong chemicals than can react with aluminum parts.

Another little demo. No product - no outdoor hoses - fast set-up.

Last edited:

P1200623.jpg

Those are Volk SF Challenge. I have had a few sets.

They are originally a painted, clear coated center with a polished, anodized rim.

You should NOT use any type of wheel cleaner on them as it can damage the anodizing - I've seen it happen many times. I like to use car wash soap or sometimes dish soap.

If you read the instructions that come with the wheels it says only soap and water.

Those are Volk SF Challenge. I have had a few sets.

If you read the instructions that come with the wheels it says only soap and water.

thanks!

So what should I do to restore the shiny finish? Some places of the wheels look dull, like some water sat there for a few weeks and somehow dulled that spot. It clearly looks like some kind of liquid sat and created a cloud effect on the wheel's lip.

Yes, this is the danger of using wheel cleaners on the wrong rims. Unfortunately there is nothing that will bring it back if there are spots.

You now have the choice of having them refinished a couple different ways - none will be like the original.

Essentially, you would have to take the wheel apart and submerge the anodized aluminum parts in a de-anodizing solution (sodium hydroxide) to remove the finish/tarnish. Once that is done, the restoration of the finish can begin, the attachment explains the process. The restoration process is pretty straight forward, and can be done by anyone.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/665.cfm

Last edited:
Cool pressure washer there dude, but all you need is Purple Power...Tried this stuff the other day and cannot believe how amazing this stuff works... I have an 06 lexus that I've tried everthing on, but nothing ever got them looking new until now... Simply wet the rims, spray stuff all over wheel, wipe with wet towel and rinse... They come out looking brand new.... Barely have to scub, just come right off...

It's like $5 a gallon at Walmart ...Purple Power!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:
Cool pressure washer there dude, but all you need is Purple Power...Tried this stuff the other day and cannot believe how amazing this stuff works... I have an 06 lexus that I've tried everthing on, but nothing ever got them looking new until now... Simply wet the rims, spray stuff all over wheel, wipe with wet towel and rinse... They come out looking brand new.... Barely have to scub, just come right off...

It's like $5 a gallon at Walmart ...Purple Power!!!

The word must have gotten out. Went to Walmart last night and only had 1 bottle left.
I'll post picks to see how well it works.

Did is you dilute the PP or spray it full strength. ?

Full strength... Stuff is amazing... All my cars have new looking wheels :biggrin:

Last edited:
I just checked the back of the purple power before cleaning the wheels and it says do not use on wheels.
Have you noticed any issue's with your is wheels?
I had it diluted to clean up some dirt on the interior of our glk, and sprayed it on the wheels and wiped it down. didn't go too crazy because the car has to go through the car wash.

I just checked the back of the purple power before cleaning the wheels and it says do not use on wheels.
Have you noticed any issue's with your is wheels?
I had it diluted to clean up some dirt on the interior of our glk, and sprayed it on the wheels and wiped it down. didn't go too crazy because the car has to go through the car wash.

None what so ever... I read that too, but have heard many people use it on wheels, so I tried it out on my Lexus :tongue:

Stuff works great....don't dilute it....

Hose down rims with water, spray liberally and then wet and wring out a microfiber towel to wipe clean...I use a bucket of water to rinse towel between wipes...then hose down when finished. Wa la, brand new looking wheels:biggrin:

I've also heard it works great of engine clean too...

Last edited:
Ok great. Will try out on other wheels. For $ 5 a gallon best price for wheel cleaner there is.

Sorry to the OP, as this thread has turned into a purple power thread.:redface:

Did my engine today on my Elentra, came out looking new:cool:

Also the wheels too of course...looks like a brand new !!!

Before and after

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I would be very careful trying any untested/ off label cleaning products. Read the labeling carefully, some cleaners (Simple Green and others) have permanently discolored/stained aluminum/anodized parts. I'm not saying don't use Purple Power, but I would find an out of sight location to run a test on before spraying it over an entire engine.

quick tip don't leave purple power in a cold/freezing garage. my bottle almost burst, caught it in time.

quick tip don't leave purple power in a cold/freezing garage. my bottle almost burst, caught it in time.

Good thing I don't have to worry bout that here in so cal:biggrin:

Most liquids will expand in freezing temps....

Back