• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New owner 91 Ren Red, 5 speed. Need some help

Hello all,

Well i bit the bullet and purchased a 91 NSX ren red with 51k miles, clean title. She did pretty well on the 12 hour journey to NC. I bought the car knowing it had a few items that needed fixing and was hoping i could get some help from the knowledgable members here! I'm excited to restore this beauty over the next few years. Here are a few of the issues that i need some help fixing..

1. Gauge Cluster: The Tachometer gauge does not work nor the gauge cluster lights. The speedometer also doesn't always go all the way down to 0mph, sometimes it stops at 15-20. I pulled the cluster and it looks like the previous owner tried to install LED lights in the cluster (i can post pics). I believe the signal wire for the tach is blue on the cluster harness but i don't know how to check to see if it's getting signal. Any advice for this?

2. The driver window is slow/gets stuck. I've heard the grease gets old and doesn't properly lubricate the regulator. I was planning on pulling the door panel off anyway to fix the alarm connection (found this thread for that http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/148440-Alarm-problem) Does my window just need cleaned and regreasing? Or will i need to replace the motor/regulator or something else?

3. My ac doesn't work. Previous owner said it just needs new seals put in and charged, but is this usually the case?

4. My headlights won't go down. They were fine the first few times, but now they are stuck up.

I'm excited to join the NSX community and any help is greatly appreciated!!

ps. I also need an interior driver door handle and cable reel/clock spring if anyone has one for sale ;)

Will do! My wife and I are moving to Louisville to finish up school, but i'll be storing the car in NC and collecting parts and working on it as time allows!

Congratulations. The rule here is pictures or it didn't happen. BTW, The Acura dealer in Louisville has an excellent NSX Tech if you take the car up there.

Sounds like that you went ahead and purchased from Pierre Desrosier. You were warned about him but hopefully you don't end up with more headaches on this car.

Good luck.

Hello all,

Well i bit the bullet and purchased a 91 NSX ren red with 51k miles, clean title. She did pretty well on the 12 hour journey to NC. I bought the car knowing it had a few items that needed fixing and was hoping i could get some help from the knowledgable members here! I'm excited to restore this beauty over the next few years. Here are a few of the issues that i need some help fixing..

1. Gauge Cluster: The Tachometer gauge does not work nor the gauge cluster lights. The speedometer also doesn't always go all the way down to 0mph, sometimes it stops at 15-20. I pulled the cluster and it looks like the previous owner tried to install LED lights in the cluster (i can post pics). I believe the signal wire for the tach is blue on the cluster harness but i don't know how to check to see if it's getting signal. Any advice for this?

2. The driver window is slow/gets stuck. I've heard the grease gets old and doesn't properly lubricate the regulator. I was planning on pulling the door panel off anyway to fix the alarm connection (found this thread for that http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/148440-Alarm-problem) Does my window just need cleaned and regreasing? Or will i need to replace the motor/regulator or something else?

3. My ac doesn't work. Previous owner said it just needs new seals put in and charged, but is this usually the case?

4. My headlights won't go down. They were fine the first few times, but now they are stuck up.

I'm excited to join the NSX community and any help is greatly appreciated!!

ps. I also need an interior driver door handle and cable reel/clock spring if anyone has one for sale ;)

Congrats, but ..........did you get a PPI done or anything???

Good luck.

I did purchase the car from Pierre, i definitely will never do business with him again, or recommend anyone else to. However, i think i got the car for a pretty good price and will enjoy restoring what he neglected to take car of. I took it to the Acura dealership in West Palm, they looked it over for an hour for $115. Everything they said it needed what pretty much what i already knew after looking at the car, though he failed to mention it all to me before i flew down.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and the car is Formula Red, not Renaissance Red. Haha, i'm from the Supra world (own a 97 tt) so i got them mixed up :p

bring the car back up to mint get everything checked if the guy said he put a new bolt in I would just take it out and put a new bolt in myself don't trust a word he said he did ot the car.

assume nothing he said is true and pay to get it fixed. goodluck

Update:pulled the tach apart and one of the small wires that is soldered had come undone. I unwound it to get enough wire out and resoldered it. The tach needle actually moves now, but isn't reading correctly and moves VERY slow. Would unwinding the wire around the coil affect this? -I also fixed the lights, and headlights. I tried regreasing window but it's still slow the top 1/2 portion

It might be your speed sensor sending unit located on the transmission.
Did you take the door panels off and get right in there or just spray some lube on the tracks from above?

Hmm, the speedometer works good except sometimes getting stuck at 20mph instead of dropping all the way to 0 when stopping.

I pulled off the door panel, and even removed the rear track guide as i removed the door lock mechanism to fix the contacts that make the alarm go off

Hmm, the speedometer works good except sometimes getting stuck at 20mph instead of dropping all the way to 0 when stopping.

I pulled off the door panel, and even removed the rear track guide as i removed the door lock mechanism to fix the contacts that make the alarm go off

Are you familiar with the window kit offered by Hugabuga?
There are also many threads on window operation and repair.
Have you done a search to find them?

Have you downloaded the free shop manual in the Wiki?

Are you aware that there's a button on the dash to keep them in the up position, even when the lights aren't turned on?

Click here to buy a new door handle.

I am aware of Hugabuga's repair kit, but i was not positive that would fix my specific problem.

Yes, i am aware of the button. The plug wasn't fully connected. But as i posted earlier, it is fixed now.

Still haven't figured out my tach problem

Regardless of how you came to own the car and it's former owner, it's yours now. Congratulations. In some ways you might be better off. Hopefully you will find it immensely satisfying to fix all the things needing attention.

Regardless of how you came to own the car and it's former owner, it's yours now. Congratulations. In some ways you might be better off. Hopefully you will find it immensely satisfying to fix all the things needing attention.

Exactly, i will enjoy restoring this car since i was able to "save" it from it's previous owner ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I searched but couldn't find anything. I'm planning on getting a header soon either comptech or SoS, are test pipes recommended as well for NA or will it result in a loss of power for a lack of backpressure?

Back