• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2016 Ford GT

Now if Ford would take the essence of what they learned from the FGT project and produce a more affordable two seat mid engine car priced in C7 territory, I might be interested. Obviously it would be less exotic and less powerful, but aimed more at the enthusiast, not collector.

I'm a Ford fan but I'll say: if I had seen the 2016 GT w/o blue oval badges, I don't think I could have guessed it was a Ford. I love it when a marque creates a stellar new design that also looks like it came from the family and isn't composed of 'fad du jour' design elements in a seemingly endless quest to find a solid brand identity that'd hopefully stick, like Mercedes & BMW & maybe also Aston Martin grilles have managed to avoid. That's so impressive when it's pulled off! I love though how they kept it under wraps so well and just put it out there instead of papercutting the fans for years and dulling the impact of the eventual reveal.

Last edited:
F

Well said!! I think ford knocked it out of the park. We don't know the price yet, but no way I'm getting rid of my GT or NSX for th new ones. If I hit the lottery, I'd like the new GT as an addition to what I have!

Most of the FGT guys say they will not get rid of their current one to get the new one however some guys in the group have more than one 05-06 FGT and they said they MIGHT sell one and still others are planning to just add it to their EXTENSIVE/EXPENSIVE collections.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a Ford fan but I'll say: if I had seen the 2016 GT w/o blue oval badges, I don't think I could have guessed it was a Ford. I love it when a marque creates a stellar new design that also looks like it came from the family and isn't composed of 'fad du jour' design elements in a seemingly endless quest to find a solid brand identity that'd hopefully stick, like Mercedes & BMW & maybe also Aston Martin grilles have managed to avoid. That's so impressive when it's pulled off! I love though how they kept it under wraps so well and just put it out there instead of papercutting the fans for years and dulling the impact of the eventual reveal.

Most people under ~40 said the same thing about the 05-06 FGT...as they did not know about Le Mans (GT40).
I too am amazed at how little was leaked about this.

Most people under ~40 said the same thing about the 05-06 FGT...as they did not know about Le Mans (GT40).

What's really funny is - I wanted to say something about brand identity in regards to the 2005 GT as being one of the reasons I've loved it so much since first seeing it at NAIAS in 2001 or 2002 but couldn't because its "brand identity" isn't due to years of carryover styling DNA cues but instead is due to being a retro design of a famous well-known and well-loved model with beautiful lines and an amazing history. So that wouldn't have fit my comment about complimenting the use of DNA in a marque (think Acura in the late 80's & early 90's - all models were beautiful and unmistakably Acura/Honda).

acura.jpg

But even so, it is what it is and doing a "Jurassic Park" with that automobile marque DNA is/was why many retro designs are so well received (the good) while it also potentially being a trap by limiting where you can go forward (the bad). Is it no surprise that each new Mini Cooper iteration from its re-intro in the early 00's just makes you ask "why?"

ANYWAY off the thread jack. 2016 Ford GT - Nonetheless I'd sure like to see it in person and hope to magically find time to visit NAIAS this year for a quick day road trip from Pittsburgh.

The car is just a concept which looks more outrageous naturally. If you have been in some foreign international car shows, there are always some really awesome prototypes that are just as good if not better. I much preferred the 2005/6 GT. So it has 50 more horses than a production NSX 2.0 on paper and that is a totally slap on the NSX!!!???
Steve

I think the slap comes from it looking 10x better than the NSX and the fact it basically came out of nowhere and the press are giving much more coverage to the GT. NSX 2.0 vs. Ford GT 3.0 is the subject of a number of Jalopnik articles over the past week and almost universally while people seem to really like the NSX, they are looking to sell body parts and children for the GT. I think most expect that the production GT (which is rumored to seen racing in the 2015 year) will look similar to what was unveiled. I suspect there will be many disappointed people and a lot of press negativity if what goes into production deviates significantly.

The car is just a concept which looks more outrageous naturally. If you have been in some foreign international car shows, there are always some really awesome prototypes that are just as good if not better. I much preferred the 2005/6 GT. So it has 50 more horses than a production NSX 2.0 on paper and that is a totally slap on the NSX!!!???
Steve

Steve, IMHO I think many of the slaps are the unavoidable result of venting frustration over the NSX 2.0's polarizing appearance & still-controversial beak. We all know many performance differentials can be forgiven when it's in a package whose appearance you love and don't tire from staring at....think our NSX's....think about your psycho girlfriend from college who was just too hot... I'm not here to bash the 2.0 design but IMHO, any design with polarizing elements that prevent you from blindly or even irrationally falling in love with it (I have to read any one comment about love for the NSX 2.0 front fascia anywhere) is just fuel to the fire for never-ending whining, some of which I've been guilty of committing in other threads but which I think I've finally cried out of my system. All things considered, I find the 2016 GT here nice to look at but probably won't be making it a screen saver anytime soon whereas I rotate screensavers often between cars like NSX coupes, 2005 Ford GT's, black 1990-1996 300ZX's, and slow 1960's Porsches & F-cars.

- - - Updated - - -

robr - I enjoy your posts often but not your avatar. Go Steelers.

DSC_2808.JPG

Last edited:
What's really funny is - I wanted to say something about brand identity in regards to the 2005 GT as being one of the reasons I've loved it so much since first seeing it at NAIAS in 2001 or 2002 but couldn't because its "brand identity" isn't due to years of carryover styling DNA cues but instead is due to being a retro design of a famous well-known and well-loved model with beautiful lines and an amazing history.

I am 55 years old and have been into cars for a long time. It normally takes me 5+ years for a new car to grow on me and for the hype (mark-up) to die down, and the reliability, performance, etc... to stand the test of time (plus I have to save my $s) before I decide to buy. In the case of the FGT, since it was already a 40 year old profile...I was ready to buy almost immediately. Then I just had to wait for the market and my savings to intersect.

I was there for the reveal. As great as pics of this car are, I have yet to see them do it justice. It is full-on stunning in person. That said, I did take a couple pics myself...

i-7hk2JTd-XL.jpg

i-5bP3t2D-XL.jpg

i-KcfNCzd-XL.jpg

i-qK6czXV-XL.jpg

i-cn2c8WG-XL.jpg

i-NhsSzVG-XL.jpg

i-BpfpwQQ-XL.jpg

i-RRpMgnS-XL.jpg

i-6PD3Qtb-XL.jpg

i-sQZ67Rg-XL.jpg

i-q64dpsq-XL.jpg

i-ZffrtDQ-XL.jpg

i-CQnK5MB-XL.jpg

i-6rs8t2q-XL.jpg

i-sFct9m3-XL.jpg

i-7ntjdjt-XL.jpg

i-5Qnh7gd-XL.jpg

i-mgTwnWR-XL.jpg

i-mzTvPRH-XL.jpg

i-PmqDpbJ-XL.jpg

i-CbFsfdK-XL.jpg

i-DbnSz6S-XL.jpg

i-zVmqM29-XL.jpg

i-QfHwWWJ-XL.jpg

i-9sDMVHt-XL.jpg

i-hKFVvML-XL.jpg

i-2W4rQSt-XL.jpg

i-GG5shR6-XL.jpg

Damn. Who designed this thing? It's absolutely brilliant.

Hint: a chick did it....urrr maybe not. (sorry, couldn't help it:biggrin:)

I too wonder this question. Every time when people say "pictures don't do justice....must see it in person to appreciate" usually means to me there is no WOW! so no urge to see one.

The lines and curves on this thing has a nice balance with nice/proper frt and rear proportion and overhang. I don't see any active aero but it must be there to keep it on the road. I hope they put a Coyote V8 with ITB someday.

Its great that Honda revealed the new NSX but not on the same day as this car:eek:

Last edited:
I too wonder this question. Every time when people say "pictures don't do justice....must see it in person to appreciate" usually means to me there is no WOW! so no urge to see one.
I've read that it was a small group of people and heavily influenced and driven by CFD and wind tunnel testing. So it's not just a product from a design studio. I think the overall response has already been a "WOW" factor, and 'pictures don't do it justice' could just mean its that much better in person. Unless you don't like the looks of it to begin with...

CFD? hmmmm, maybe Ford brought in Nick Wirth with his credibility? I would, but he has been helping HPD.

sounds like this car is gonna have a low production number and $$$$$$$$, I hope it has good aero numbers as it and make it happen.

I suppose 'pictures don't do justice' can go both ways. When I saw pictures of the Toyota FT-1, I go Wow! that is a good looking shoe I don't mind wearing even its a FR and it has wings that moves. Cool! I want to see it in person and hope they can make it real. OTOH, can't say the same about the Vette, pictures or live.

Thx to my test drive of the 12C and your review, I would never have the skills to wring the neck of these super cars to appreciate what they are capable of. Otherwise I would surely crash one like CJ Wilson. NSX 1.0 has high enough limit for me and I don't want a car that drives for me.

A lowly shifter kart is my realm. Bow:biggrin:

Last edited:
It was designed by Moray Callum
Reading his wikipedia resume, the guy hasn't designed anything of interest at all up until the GT

FWIW I was just at NAIAS Boston today, wish the GT and NSX had been there :(

------------

http://www.cnet.com/news/ford-gt-design-story/

The inside story of the new Ford GT supercar
The reborn Ford GT is the hottest car of the 2015 NAIAS in Detroit. We spoke with its designer, Moray Callum, to learn about how it went from sketch to concept car in just 14 months.
by Tim Stevens

Ford Motor Co.
DETROIT -- In Las Vegas last week, at the International CES, I heard plenty about advances in autonomous driving, from cars that would park themselves at the touch of a smart watch, to infotainment systems that made it safer to text while driving. Promising and worthwhile stuff for sure, but as a car enthusiast -- a driving enthusiast -- it's a little hard to get excited about any of it.

While I was out there I had dinner with Ford's new CEO Mark Fields. Fields himself would go on to dedicate much of his CES keynote to Ford's Mobility Challenge, finding solutions for parking woes, for traffic congestion, even discussing an app to help avoid monsoons in Mumbai.

Given all that, I really only had one question for him. Is there anything for me, an enthusiast, to get excited about when it comes to future automotive innovation? Fields smiled and simply said "I think you'll like what you see from us next week." That next week is here, and with it has come the Ford GT , the new Ford GT, the latest entry in a short but storied line of supercars from the Blue Oval.

Its designer is Moray Callum, Ford Vice President of Design, who was very proud to speak about the GT immediately after its debut here in Detroit. "A lot of people talk about technology and there's so much talk about autonomous cars and hybrid cars and maybe cars that are not for enthusiasts. We wanted to bring some of that back, to say that innovation can be about traditional car guys... Performance is still a great platform to develop technology and innovation."

Moray Callum is brother of Jaguar Design Director Ian Callum, the man responsible for much of Aston Martin's modern design language, and for all the recent lovely Jaguars like the F-Type. Both Ian and Moray spent large portions of their early careers at Ford before moving elsewhere. Moray went on to re-invent the look of Mazda, moving that brand from tired and predictable to aggressive and sporty.
He returned to Ford in 2006, and it's safe to say there have been plenty of design successes since then. The Ford GT is only the latest. Given the importance of the car and its positive response, I was amazed to learn that Callum and his team only started work on the thing in October of 2013. That's just 14 months to go from a blank sheet of paper to a functional concept car "95 percent" ready for production. "We know that things like the mirrors will probably have to change a little bit for legal reasons, but it's the peripheral things like that. The overall car, that's it."

To pull this off so quickly, and to keep it from leaking out, Ford took things underground. "We opened up a small studio in the basement, literally in the bowels of the building, refurbished an old room." The company brought designers and engineers together, working closely to pull the car together with little interference.

The team started by creating scale models by hand, then scanning the results to create 3-D versions. "All of the aero work has been done digitally," said Callum, "All the CFD work." That means saving time by not visiting an actual wind tunnel. However, the team did have a full-sized model milled out of foam, just to ensure the dimensions looked great at scale.

Of all the design details of the car, the rear is by far the most distinctive. From a distance, the profile looks familiar. But look from the right angle, and you realize that the back of the car is more open than enclosed.

"We wanted to emphasize the fact that it's got a small engine. We really wanted to get this fuselage thing, which helps aero anyway, but actually accentuating that. Getting the frontal aero down... The V-6 EcoBoost really facilitated that."

It's a big departure by design from the original car, the GT40. "The [2005] GT was very much a heritage car, an homage to the first car... We wanted to do it in a much more futuristic way." The overall shape of the car, the "nostrils" in the front hood and the headlight shape and position, are all things Callum says were directly influenced by the original. "The rear view, the round lamps, the round exhausts, that's there, too. But that's where it stops."

Callum calls the outer structures pontoons. They hold the wheels and intercoolers for the turbochargers and are supported by a pair of buttresses that slope dramatically upward to the central fuselage of the car. It's an amazing visual treat -- and an engineering challenge. "That car could only be made in carbon fiber. We wouldn't have been able to build that car 60 years ago. Even 20 years ago."

That tight packaging may raise some concerns about reliability, especially given the history of the 2005 car. That model became somewhat notorious after Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson quite vocally experienced a series of issues with his personal GT. Callum doesn't shy away from the question. "Quite a few of the guys involved in this program were involved in the GT program, so they're very cognizant of some of the mistakes in terms of serviceability." He promises the new GT will be better.

The lessons being learned through the engineering of the Ford GT will pay off elsewhere. Here in Detroit, CEO Mark Fields announced a partnership between Ford, DowAksa and the U.S. Department of Energy to research "low-cost, high-volume carbon fiber." If the GT is a sign of things to come, they'll be needing a lot of the stuff.

However, when it comes to the drivetrain, the GT is almost traditional. I asked Callum why the company didn't follow the trends being set by Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren, Acura and more, mixing hybrid power in with their supercars. It was discussed, he said, but they opted for a more traditional route, to show off an extreme example of what their current production engines can do. "We call it democracy of the powertrain."

Still, don't expect a car for the masses. The 2005 version of the Ford GT started at $140,000, but often sold for much, much more at dealerships. "It's going to be more exclusive than the last one," says Callum of the new GT. "Less numbers and more expensive."

Better start saving, then, as the new GT could be in production as early as next year.

Last edited:
Very nice pics. Thanks!!!

From what I've seen most of the nsx owners crying about how the new nsx ended up looking even though we've basically known for years what it was going to be. I'm curious as to what current GT owners think of the new one and if they would trade up for that one. I know there's a few GT owners on here.

I would definitely keep mine and if I decided to go for this one, just get it as an addition to the stable. Totally different car - surprised they named it "GT." As many current FGT owners are saying, and I agree with them, the '05 - '06 is the "analog" version and this one will be the "digital" version. Looks to me a mix of McLaren P1, Ferrari 458, Lamborghini Aventador, and a bit of Ford GT.

hey Gene any nibbles on the SOS car?

im a supercharger kind of guy but those turbos spooling sound so good.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/L38biKtECR8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Last edited:
I have a turbo car and like the wooosh! (but I don't hear turbos)
I LIKE the supercharger whine of my CTSC.
I also like V8 180 (bundle of snakes)...
Okay, maybe I just like car sounds!

How much of a home run is this design? An NSX website has 3 pages talking about a Ford.

Back