• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2016 Ford GT

The production ready NSX was finally revealed today at the Detroit Auto Show.... and IMO was totally eclipsed by the new Ford GT, also revealed today!

-------From Jalopnik--------------

Ford did it. They actually went and did it. It's been rumored about and speculated on for months, but now we know it's real. This is it: the new Ford GT. Ford just dropped a bomb on the rest of the world, and it's got a 600 HP twin-turbo V6, if you can believe it.

Here's what you need to know: it has a 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 (yes, seriously) with more than 600 horsepower. The twin-turbo mill is mounted amidships and mated to a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox nestled inside a carbon fiber tub.

Aluminum subframes are mounted at each end and wrapped in carbon fiber body panels, and Ford promises it will "exhibit one of the best power-to-weight ratios of any production car."

Fully-active aerodynamics and an actuated rear spoiler improve braking and downforce. The rolling stock is made up for 20-inch wheels wrapped in custom Michelin Pilot Super Sport Cup 2 tires framing carbon ceramic brakes.

The driver seat is fixed, with the F1-style steering wheel and pedals moving to fit the driver. The steering column is "stalkless" so there's nothing between your hands and the paddle shifters, and the dash is completely digital and fully configurable with multiple driving modes.

And look at these freaking doors.

Sweet mother of crapulence.

As a reminder, the original Ford GT40 wasn't just another endurance racer. Sporting iconic looks and a mighty V8 engine, it emerged victorious in Ford's bitter Le Mans battle against Ferrari, one of the greatest David vs. Goliath stories in all of motorsports. The Ford resurrected it a decade ago with a limited edition, street-legal supercar with the performance to match the best Europe had to offer. It was an amazing machine that remains highly respected and coveted today.26

Now there's this. An even more modern interpretation that's not only going to race, but Ford says it into production next year. NEXT YEAR.

vjv2vi1oqg9ibjyprwlc.png

qoodf0n9dagfje3cu3me.png

g5o6mjkr5n1pbsnfduax.png

y8ceyrukxx27g7axa1mw.jpg

zdzde7vqrmmm4k6rv5mj.jpg

Only a render of the referenced doors :(
abpzfhjtopl8qh26ommy.jpg

I Love the abundance of empty space in back. Those are some serious flying buttresses. Not so much room for golf clubs back there.

WOW! Look so badass. kinda look like the Lotus from the front and the side look like a Ferrari Cali 599 put together. Still badass look GT.:wink:

Any idea of the cost?
Rumored to be $400k+ and in the niche of the Aventador and P15 (McLaren's forthcoming model beneath the P1 and above the 12C/650S); it seems it was benchmarked from the LaFerrari in terms of exterior/interior form-factor.

Other than the 2015 Crown Victoria LTD interior inspiration, it is beyond awesome!

People shit on Honda for going with the V6 instead of a V8 like a "real supercar" on the new nsx. The new Ford GT also uses a V6 and I am surprised nobody complain, yet.

I think its kinda like the Radical RXC/Noble/Mustang/Camaro came out with a 'eco friendly' V6 first, then + turbo + then a screaming flatplane V8. A good mkt approach IMO.

anybody know the key differences between this V6 than our V6 besides being twin turbo(SOS, LoveFab), DI, VTEC, size, surface finishing, better ECU(Infinity)? Is it dry sumped?

No manual on this one either. The Corvette and the Viper are holding the line on that pretty well.

People shit on Honda for going with the V6 instead of a V8 like a "real supercar" on the new nsx. The new Ford GT also uses a V6 and I am surprised nobody complain, yet.

because they are still getting over the shock and awe on the power and looks..... NSX didn't have those....

No stick is in issue for me assuming I was a buyer.

Ditto. Fixed driver seat? now that is for the serious racer.
I am sure they will put the Coyote V8 in it later with DI. Any idea of the cost? I am willing to sell my left kidney and other body parts for this.
You made me google. Apparently kidneys are only going for $10k-ish.

Several articles state that the production FGT will be less radical looking. It is not going to be at the same price point as the NSX anyway. It is not fair to compare a "show car" prototype to a production spec car.

Saw cute blonde who lead design team for exterior, car looks more like a lexus than a acura or honda......whats with all the blackout paint on front end? In many ways, the original NSX was more unique than the new model we have waited since 2005 for...... The Ford looks pretty unique, but pass on the tweaked V6 and tweak a V8 instead......

Ford finally designs a fabulous new powerful V8 and puts one in nearly every mustang but opt's for a V6 in their supercar.

Going purely on aesthetics & emotion (and as an ex-Ford engineer), I love the strong side profile, muscular rear haunches, and strong masculine-looking rear even if I'm so-so on the Evora front. But 10 times out of 10, I'll take the under-taxed 270HP 3.0L with unbelievable durability & reliability in my NSX over a 3.5L putting out 600 hp since I don't have a bottomless wallet for maintenance.

But I like what I see. Today was exciting - I haven't been paying attention to Prime for a week and didn't realize today was NSX intro day (thank you Dreampowered for texting me at 11:30 today) and I hardly expected to see as much as they showed of the 2016 GT. I distinctly remember how excited I felt seeing the Ford GT prototype at NAIAS around 2001 when it was hanging from the wall - I think that was the very same show where the fixed-headlight 2002 NSX was introduced - and now I'm thinking I need to find a way to get to Detroit this year to see these two in person. Fun day.

Last edited:
I'm just saying.....

[

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 591

I recall people (including me) complaining when the NSX was rumored to merely have a V6 (no turbo, possibly hybrid motors) with power under the current mark. I don't think anyone is complaining about a V6 TT + 3 more electric motors putting out 550+hp.

And people aren't complaining about the GT because that V6TT is putting out over 600HP. Nothing wrong with that. Sounds pretty good too, at least the startup/idle.

Also keep in mind that the Porsche 918, the P1, La Ferrari, etc all changed the image of hybrid motors.

Back