• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

75 watt HID's.

I have been tempted to try the 75 watt HID - the problem is that even 55W kits are often a scam - 35W ballasts labeled as 55W.

So I guess we shall see.

+1 look at some of the cheaper ones and look for the same style ballast ignighter box no one puts a huge 75 watt sticker on top its almost like oh.... it has a sticker its worth more now it must be 75W LOL

That kit says that it's for high beams. The problem with using it for high beams is that HID's usually take a couple of seconds to power up, which makes them not so great for high beams if you use them to "flash to pass".

For low beams, it may be way too bright. It doesn't state how bright, but 35W low beam HID's are typically around 3400 lumens, 55W around 5000 lumens (which is already really really bright). If it's any brighter than that, it may be just asking to get pulled over.

It's also worth noting that most folks recommend a wiring harness when using 55W HID's, so the power comes directly from the battery, not via the car's stock wiring. The harness is not generally needed with 35W HID's.

Ive had DDM 55w on my nsx for the past 4? years and they still work great

I think LED will eventually have good output - even for the old reflector housings.

There are newer 55W HID kits that will provide enough light to use them for hi beams - I'm using a set right now.

I have the DDM 55watt slims in my NSX for over 5+ years and still going strong. Then again, I don't use them that much.

I know my kit is definitely brighter than the 35watt kit I had by a larger margin, but I haven't put it to a volt meter to see the draw to be certain.

LEDs aren't quite there yet for automotive applications. Most advertised lumen outputs put the new 55w LED kits at the 35watt HID brightness levels. HID is still the way to go it terms of power, brightness, price and availability ... at least for now IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like you can get the kit on Amazon for $99 instead.
http://www.amazon.com/6000K-Digital-Ballast-Conversion-Bright/dp/B00CZ4MLL0/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1421434179&sr=1-4&keywords=75W+HID

Last edited:
After closely examining the 75 watt kit on Amazon, it appears that theres no heavier wiring than 35/55 watt kits. I wish they offered 5000k.
I have the DDM 55watt slims in my NSX for over 5+ years and still going strong. Then again, I don't use them that much.

I know my kit is definitely brighter than the 35watt kit I had by a larger margin, but I haven't put it to a volt meter to see the draw to be certain.

LEDs aren't quite there yet for automotive applications. Most advertised lumen outputs put the new 55w LED kits at the 35watt HID brightness levels. HID is still the way to go it terms of power, brightness, price and availability ... at least for now IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like you can get the kit on Amazon for $99 instead.
http://www.amazon.com/6000K-Digital-Ballast-Conversion-Bright/dp/B00CZ4MLL0/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1421434179&sr=1-4&keywords=75W+HID

Last edited:
After closely examining the 75 watt kit on Amazon, it appears that theres no heavier wiring than 35/55 watt kits. I wish they offered 5000k.

The description states that the company offers color temps in: 4300K, 5000K, 6000K, 8000K, & 12000K

Can you explain more about what you mean about the wiring? It appears to come with a wiring harness and I hope it's at least 18 gauge wire.

If you look at the wires coming off the ballasts and the bulbs themselves, it looks no bigger than my wires on my 35 watt setup. So I assume there capable of 75 watts. I definitely will check on the 5000k kit. :wink:
The description states that the company offers color temps in: 4300K, 5000K, 6000K, 8000K, & 12000K

Can you explain more about what you mean about the wiring? It appears to come with a wiring harness and I hope it's at least 18 gauge wire.

If you look at the wires coming off the ballasts and the bulbs themselves, it looks no bigger than my wires on my 35 watt setup. So I assume there capable of 75 watts. I definitely will check on the 5000k kit. :wink:

I'm so confused now...
So did you actually buy the 75 watt kit and are comparing the wires directly? Or are you going off a stock website photo for your comparison?

How about these? I've been looking at these for months.

Maybe I should pull the trigger and test?

Those really don't look much different from the 35watt ones. Someone needs to open one up.

I think the difference is that they are HUGE.

- - - Updated - - -

No need to open it, if you turn it on and it's even close to 100W - you'll know immediately.

I am wondering about something.

If you take a look at the NSX reflector housing and compare it to the reflectors modern cars use, you see that nowadays, the front glass is basically always smooth (and often it's just plastic). The NSX used a heavy ribbed reflector housing. I assume this was because of the way the halogen bulbs work.

Would it be smart of have the ribs removed from the housing (and polished) to get a more even and smooth beam if you would switch to either HID or LED?

Would it be smart of have the ribs removed from the housing (and polished) to get a more even and smooth beam if you would switch to either HID or LED?

I think so. The NSX "reflector housing" is not really a reflector housing; it's a projector with a nice cutoff. The last thing you want is to distort the clean light with the ribbing.

This is what you are aiming for:

htup-1303-01%2B1993-acura-NSX%2Bcustom-HID

The main question I have with these higher output HIDs is, how much hotter do they run? I've seen enough ricer cars with burnt/melted housings.

The main question I have with these higher output HIDs is, how much hotter do they run? I've seen enough ricer cars with burnt/melted housings.

I don't know how much hotter they run, once I oder a set I can measure the temps and see. I do know that the 75 and 100W kits use a ceramic base on the bulb.

I wouldn't. I used the stock housing when I switched my bulbs to HID's, and they work fine, with an even, smooth beam and a sharp cutoff, exactly what you want.

Back