• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX 2.0 Body Kit

It's time to have some fun. So the design is out...some love it, some hate it, while others are just meh about it. Regardless, it's done, the driving experience is probably going to be out of this world, and eventually we are inevitably going to figure out ways to mod it. Even when we love the design we still mod it...a more aggressive rocker panel, spoiler, wheel stance, lowered suspension, etc. Here's toying with the idea of just a front bumper (think MODE4 for ver. 1.0 but for 2.0)...a more substantive bumper that actually gives it some "nose". The original prototype from the side profile had the front bumper just looking like it was lopped off...like it was sort of missing (think the Red Skull's profile without the end of his nose). The final design definitely improved upon it but it still kinda has the feeling to me and like I said...we're gonna mod it even if we love it. So this idea would keep the new (stock) headlights design, hood lines, panel lines, but maybe give it some exotic wedge angle up front.

Original
original.jpg

The Idea
front.jpg

The Overlay
front2.jpg

No Blister Hood
front2_no_blisters.jpg

w/Stock Hood
front3.jpg

Does the nose know? or does the nose not know what it knows ;)

Not trying to steal your idea or spotlight at all vf22, but my suggestion is to make the front intake holes less boxy and conforming. I get where you're trying to take a minimalist approach and simplify things, but perhaps it's too simple and not fully articulated for obvious reasons of it being photoshopped.

Valkyrie Pilot and I actually have talked about this issue with the front a few times in the past and I believe I told him that it would be fruitless until the production trim is shown. Anyways, the flying buttress is prominent element of the new NSX design (considering it makes up the whole side of the car), so the intake shape should still match the theme and not stand out an aftermarket bodykit.

I just smudged and rotated some angles quickly for a more coherent flow to give you an idea of what I mean:

Orange_zpsa0c3e907.jpg

Big improvement...It doesn't look like a Mazda 3 front end.

It's not a Civic, for God's sake. Just leave perfection alone.

Just wait a few years and they'll have a refresh and new front grill I am sure.

That seems pretty optimistic. Aside from 1.0’s 10yrs to get its refresh, any change in production costs on such a small (anticipated) annual production run seems like they'd keep it 'as is' for quite awhile for a decent ROI.

Not trying to steal your idea or spotlight at all vf22, but my suggestion is to make the front intake holes less boxy and conforming. I get where you're trying to take a minimalist approach and simplify things, but perhaps it's too simple and not fully articulated for obvious reasons of it being photoshopped.

I really like what you did...those angles make alotta sense. Wish you woulda did it on the DOT approved headlights version (one w/amber lens and stock hood) :) No worries at all about "stealing my idea" or "spotlight" I honestly don’t mind at all. Experimenting w/different lines for the sake of any design exploration often has a better outcome when treated as "open source." For the record, it is not my design per say. I have a folder of concept NSX images from over the years where some are official while others are just various magazine fantasy renderings. I thought the front of this one in particular had some merit so I just used it as the basis for the photochop...

Honda-NSX-Hybrid.jpg

Valkyrie Pilot and I actually have talked about this issue with the front a few times in the past and I believe I told him that it would be fruitless until the production trim is shown.

RE: the front. I think the front’s actually where a majority of the hulabaloo towards 2.0 is coming from. For all intents and purposes the front of the car is the “face” of the car and plays a very significant factor in distinguishing one car from another. Take all the exotics you’ve ever known and lop off the front quarter, switch’em around and you’re confused. 1.0’s design objectives included pioneering revolutionary technology while pairing it with a look that tapped into the present-day exotic design vein. They came up with a look that reflected the existing racing heritage; the highly recognizable contour lines of Ferrari’s, Lamborghini’s, aka the “wedge” which had defined modern day exotics since the days of Magnum PI to the modern day Veneno. Hence Ken Okuyama’s concept drawings of the NSX, with heavy Italian influence infused with a powerful, sharp nosed F-16 fighter jet. Almost all of Okuyama’s work exhibits this style, the Enzo Ferrari, the Porsche 996, the Ferrari 599, especially the Maserati Birdcage 75th (pretty cool design), to name a few. Suffice it to say Okuyama has “wedge” design lines running rampant through his veins.

Moving on to Acura Design Division circa 2008+, in contrast this group of young(er) designers have been cultivated in their craft in a very different design environment. In a recent article, NSX 2.0 designer Michelle Christensen gets inspiration from a wide variety of things and places. For ex. take a quick look at the front end of the 2.0 prototypes and the architecture of a metro station in Saudi Arabia that she mentioned admiring...

grill_inspiration.jpg

Luxury and exotic contours have clearly been redefined by various European high performance cars where with just one look at the front face and the predominant design element is significant brand emblem swagger framed within massive grill of real estate...

grilly_emblems.jpg

Basically flat, bulgy, barge-like bows (2015 Mercedes SLS AMG) that seem to push the air out of the way rather than cut right through it like a wedge (2015 Lamborghini Huracan).

huracan.jpg

It’s simply a preference, do you want to buy a pug (flat-nose), or a greyhound (wedge-nose)? Or a bull mastiff or a saluki? Both are just as lovable and who's to say what's better than the other? But in all the necessary 2.0 decisions to be made, it seems as if one that must have not been critical was to carry over the front wedge element that graced the 1.0 face to the 2.0. I can clearly see that present day the non-wedge style has a much wider appeal, is less snooty, and demonstrates a good amount of design restraint that actually makes it more of a daily driver = less showy while still super classy.

The bottom line is still that 2.0’s “face” is arguably unrecognizable to its predecessor so some are pretty bummed out. It’d be like someone you’ve been with for a decade or two and they decide to go in for some plastic surgery…everyone’s anticipating an improvement…then they come out and you are like, “uh...who are you?” Of course some can say “That looks much better” and is possible but it’s the “Who are you’s?” that I think have been experiencing the unidentifiable face disconnect (admittedly myself included) and is perhaps partly to blame for all the exaggerated negativity towards 2.0.

My $0.02 on how we got to the front that was unveiled in Detroit was neither ‘right or wrong’ but simply a result of a proprietary process, a different design philosophy, and some unavoidable time constraints. It’s fine for designers to look at different stuff for inspiration, but the way Okuyama does it is different. Let’s just hypothetically say if he were Mrs. Christensen's Art Director, at some point early on in the design phase he would have walked up to her desk, politely removed from her idea-wall the photo of the King Abdullah’s Financial District Metro Station in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia with a slight head shake to convey a subtle 'no', and, oh I don’t know, replaced it with a picture of an F-22 Raptor fighter jet, and maybe we woulda ended up with a wedge front ;)

f-22.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Anyways, the flying buttress is prominent element of the new NSX design (considering it makes up the whole side of the car), so the intake shape should still match the theme and not stand out an aftermarket bodykit.

Yes the buttress is super clean and incredibly unique imo and I really like how they enlarged the intake on the final! Glad you caught that the bumper idea is just a minimalist approach w/desire to simplify. Imho I think that is what the rest of the car actually is though. Since you’re a designer here’s an analogy that you’re certainly familiar with…limiting amount of fonts used in any given piece/presentation. 2 fonts max, maybe 3 if you have a distinct element you really need to draw attention to. The more fonts you have the more difficult it becomes to read and also the more complicated it appears because now there is more to process in addition to just the information.

Carrying this principle over to 2.0’s front face consider if it doesn't have too many "fonts" (aka materials, styles, geometries) in all fairness. The rest of 2.0’s body elements we see 2-3 font limit - flying buttresses: super elegant, very clean lines, minimalistic brilliantly to the point of the intakes being practically concealed. The rear: super simple lines that pays a great homage to the original horizontal light signature…very few “fonts” again. The roof, the hood, the hatch, etc. all 2-3 fonts max and can hardly see any panel lines! Now the front: (1) The brand-delineator silver beak front and center, (2) Medium-sized-Matte-honeycomb-mesh located under the headlights, (3) Larger-sized-Gloss-honey-comb mesh serving as the central grill just under the metallic silver beak, (4) a solid black beak that is below the over-sized-Gloss-honey-comb mesh under the metallic silver beak, (5) vertically slatted mesh under the solid black beak under the larger-sized-Gloss-honey-comb mesh under the metallic silver beak, next to the medium-sized-Matte-honeycomb mesh on the sides, etc.

one_thru_five.png

There is evidently quite a bit of fonts here where the design “language” it communicates has already been summed up by others simply stating that it’s just... “too busy”. The rest of the cars canvases do not appear to have as many amalgamation of materials, geometric shapes, from meshes, to glass housings, to polished metals, to matte plastics, to gloss plastics, etc. in one place.

Perhaps a simplified front face would have inhibited their ability to accomplish their air flow goals (function) thus disqualifying retaining the racing wedge look from the 1.0 (form). It was necessary to cut the nose off and let it breath. Who knows, but others can do it, and I think Honda could do it if they wanted.

Agreed. The photoshopped version gives me Corvette vibes.

Wa-wait…w/all the “is that a corvette?” 1.0 endured, doesn’t that mean it’s heading in the right direction? ;) just kidding

It's not a Civic, for God's sake. Just leave perfection alone.

Outta curiosity, did you ever do any modification to your ’92 or ’94?

That seems pretty optimistic. Aside from 1.0’s 10yrs to get its refresh, any change in production costs on such a small (anticipated) annual production run seems like they'd keep it 'as is' for quite awhile for a decent ROI.[/IMG]

There is evidently quite a bit of fonts here where the design “language” it communicates has already been summed up by others simply stating that it’s just... “too busy”. The rest of the cars canvases do not appear to have as many amalgamation of materials, geometric shapes, from meshes, to glass housings, to polished metals, to matte plastics, to gloss plastics, etc. in one place.

The first gen NSX endured a harsh decade for sports cars in general and the lack of updates was because of this harsh reality. I think Honda will progressively update the new NSX this time around as most companies have become aggressive in that department. They just have to plan for it ahead of time with realistic goals.

I prefer the NSX's styling/direction over typical German styling and shape. That's my personal preference.

I agree with you and many others that the front is too busy and could be simplified. The two busiest details can easily be remedied- the mesh and chrome strip. The mesh can be taken off with ease I am sure. The chrome strip can be color matched with the body for a favorable look or painted black. Either way, limit the palette to two tone instead of technically 3 tones.

- - - Updated - - -

HomageNSX_zps62d4ca57.jpg

Here is a quick diagram to show the homages paid from the first gen to the second gen front ends. They range from subtle to outright calling cards. I would not use the words unrecognizable or radical to describe the design evolution of the NSX.

Some may refuse to see the connections, but they are littered all over the new NSX outside and inside. It's a proper evolution of the NSX icon.

Nice discussion....I like the smaller openings renderings ..then again I loved the proportions of the hsc.

vf2ss, Nice work, I like the creativity. :)

NSpec, Very nice work too with the picture of 3. I think so similarly to both of your general thoughts. To me the front just just says "oh no still the beak" instead of "it's an NSX." Maybe the design team was handcuffed to the corporate beak design language and wasn't allowed to break the mold into something new and away from the now way too overplayed gun-slit LED's and Audi-copycat badge/shield fascia look. (I feel so naive because it wasn't until the last 10 years of my life that I realized how awfully uncreative & lemming-like the world is anymore. Apple steals Microsoft's dull flat interface look and within one year, 95% of websites and apps adopt the unintuitive, uninteresting flat look. Not because it has better function & UI and is a better design language, but because everyone else is doing it. Audi's becomes super trendy in the early 00's and then adopts a nose-heavy badge/shield fascia with LED's, and suddenly every and I mean every automaker adopts the same look, completely annihilating any corporate brand identity in the process. But anyway...

Along some of the above sentiments, I'd love to see what these would look like with a little plastic surgery on the red 2.0:

- Don't change any plastic but color the silver upper beak under the hood's leading edge to be red. Call me kooky but this to me is the biggest mistake here: a large & brightly-colored hood closing onto a blacked-out or differently-textured bumper (especially when there's a noticeable gap under the hood's leading edge like the LFA) just looks inelegant & unfinished, like a manhole cover that's not correctly seated or a steel plate haphazardly covering a hole in a sidewalk that's under repair. Or "Ike" on South Park.

- Option #2 , in addition to the above: color the middle black strip red too and make the the fixed lights be more elegantly squarish/taller and not tapered out so close to the wheel wells. Return to having more "sheet metal" connecting the fenders for continuity of design instead of the beak/shield interruption and LED slits which further extend that interruption and make the 2.0 look more nose-heavy. Along those lines, connect the red strip running under the headlights into the fenders and enclose the area #2 in your figure above. 458 fascia was done really well, there's no mistaking that it's a Ferrari, it ignores the trends/fads, and it's a classic look that you want to look at.

- retro-madness idea: along NSpec's thoughts, incorporate a slightly updated version of the 1.0's fixed or popup fascia and retain some of the "that's unmistakably an NSX" DNA.

On the upside, kudos to the team for not giving into incorporating the chrome fender vent trend like the Corvette couldn't shake, and for keeping the door handle understated instead of going "Nissan's 350ZX" on it. :)

- - - Updated - - -

And I can't wait to see what Robert Cumberford of Automobile magazine says about the design, assuming he'll review it. I used to laugh and roll my eyes at his being a complete blowhard know it all sometimes because he'd over-analyze some things that didn't seem worth a comment about, and now I've turned into him ha ha.

Nice discussion....I like the smaller openings renderings ..then again I loved the proportions of the hsc.

Ohh...the HSC. The coulda, woulda, shoulda. It really was a neat design full of potential if development could have continued. I actually had done a few chops way back when (woa...this was awhile back) when exploring some minor tweaks on that version as well...(couldn't resist even back then):rolleyes:

original...
originalHSC.jpg

photochopped...
nsx-f.jpg

imola!...
nsx-forange.jpg

Looking at it now, I still like it but it all seems somewhat sorta dated, however if it came out when it was supposed to it wouldn't seem any more or less than its commensurate competition of the same release time.

Anyways, here's another front bumper exploration influenced by the never-made-it-to-production Saleen Raptor S5S which was super cool...might have less Vette going on ;)

saleen-s5-s-raptor-1.jpg

original...
original.jpg

overlay...
front4_overlay.jpg

photochopped...
front4.jpg

photochopped...
front4.jpg

As I watch this fantastic GB/seahawks game -- STANDING OVATION -- that photochop elicited feelings of "maybe I could find a way to buy a 5 year old NSX 2.0 after all" for the very first time. Outstanding! If you were to one in white and maybe with the outstanding wheels in a slightly lighter and shinier gunmetal, you'd have my vote for nsxprime MVP of 2015. You have fantastic skills! :)

This is getting closer to something more harmonious with the new NSX design language. I had something in mind when I get a chance to make a new production 3d model of the NSX. I think I will wait to see if they make anymore changes til the end of this year though before I experiment.

Thanks for sharing vf2ss. A front bumper redesign can essentially be but a small detail with heavy weight/consequences.

Last edited:
Cool. Again this idea is just about unscrewing some bolts at oem bumper points and retaining the stock headlights, hood, qtr panels, etc. Here's the existing panel lines, marking possible bolt points accessed when the hood is open, through (and up) the front air dam, under the car and via the wheel well. Whatever it ends up being, if it compromises targeted airflow objectives I doubt I truly drive fast enough to experience any significant loss. If I use a little more gas because there's more skin up front I'm okay paying a little extra at fill-up to simply enjoy a design preference.

connection_points.png

Yinzer...order up!

front5_wht.jpg

can you do a side profile?

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Looks good VF2ss

Wow, what a chop fest ! :biggrin:

above looks good.

Here's another white although it really does not count cause so many changes lol. Pop ups maybe?

sorry Stephanie.

Attachments

• w1ca.jpg
    w1ca.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 2,118
Last edited:
Back