• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

McDork’s 1998 Coupe JH4NA2131WT000070 listed as “Zanardi Prototype” in the wiki

Looking great!!! What did you use to remove the final undercoating?

firstly, i just read what happened and am glad you are a ok! 2nd; amazing progress re the build (as always)... you're unstoppable!

Awesome job with the wheel wells!!! I like your lift too!
Thank you very much.

- - - Updated - - -

good work! nice
Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking great!!! What did you use to remove the final undercoating?

Thanks! I used a wire wheel attachment for my drill to clean up what was left over. Undercoating removal is a horrible job.

- - - Updated - - -

firstly, i just read what happened and am glad you are a ok! 2nd; amazing progress re the build (as always)... you're unstoppable!
Thanks I appreciate the kind words. Hopefully it will be decent when it's finished.

I took it to the painter last week, but he's pretty busy this time of the year with races team commitments. I'm not sure I'll have it finished this year or not, but I'm in no rush.

Off it goes:

He swapped it back to pop ups with early 90's parts and red is a nightmare to color match. Plus it will be totally fresh and immaculate.
Precisely. It looked great, but it just wasn't good enough. The roof was painted red in 2000, the front fenders were blended when the 02 conversion was done, the rear bumper had a scrape that had been repaired, and the left quarter had a dent that was repaired. So the only way to make right was to have the entire thing painted. Then I figured since it needed all of its services I might as well just drop the engine. Since the engine was out I figured I might as well just drop the front suspension and clean it up. Oh yeah and might as well strip the undercoating and make it look good.
Might as well :)

Precisely. It looked great, but it just wasn't good enough. The roof was painted red in 2000, the front fenders were blended when the 02 conversion was done, the rear bumper had a scrape that had been repaired, and the left quarter had a dent that was repaired. So the only way to make right was to have the entire thing painted. Then I figured since it needed all of its services I might as well just drop the engine. Since the engine was out I figured I might as well just drop the front suspension and clean it up. Oh yeah and might as well strip the undercoating and make it look good.
Might as well :)

We call that "Mitch Fever". You probably caught it because you live so close to him...

I have actually made this my wallpaper. Pretty cool.
Thank you very much.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! I used a wire wheel attachment for my drill to clean up what was left over. Undercoating removal is a horrible job.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks I appreciate the kind words. Hopefully it will be decent when it's finished.

I took it to the painter last week, but he's pretty busy this time of the year with races team commitments. I'm not sure I'll have it finished this year or not, but I'm in no rush.

Off it goes:

I'm getting the engine cleaned up before I get ready for the maintenance work. So, I busted out the pressure washer and hooked it to the hot water line again.:smile: What a difference the hot water makes.
Glad I went for the 80 gallon water heater when I replaced it last year.

Before:

After:

Some random pieces to clean.

Before:

After:

Great job with the cleaning. What did you use for a degreaser?

Great job with the cleaning. What did you use for a degreaser?

Well I first scrubbed the suspension bits with scotch bright pads and wd-40. Then I used Mag N' Wire Wheel Cleaner (bought on Amazon) which is the best thing I've found for wire wheels. Even diluted it's pretty nasty stuff and I wouldn't recommend getting it near paint or rubber.

For the parts that had undercoating I just soaked them with Turtle Wax bug & tar remover and then pressure washed them with hot water.

Awesome job so far man, really enjoying the build. I do have to ask however, anymore photos of the MK2? Looks like a big bumper Wolfsburg Jetta to me.

amazing (as always)

I'm getting the engine cleaned up before I get ready for the maintenance work. So, I busted out the pressure washer and hooked it to the hot water line again.:smile: What a difference the hot water makes.
Glad I went for the 80 gallon water heater when I replaced it last year.

Before:

After:

Some random pieces to clean.

Before:

After:

Very good job indeed! and people, please stop quoting all his picture posts haha ;)

Awesome job so far man, really enjoying the build. I do have to ask however, anymore photos of the MK2? Looks like a big bumper Wolfsburg Jetta to me.
Thanks Sir! Sorry I don't have many pics of the MK2. It's a 91 GLI 16v and has been a lot more work than I anticipated. I just need to strip and repaint the bumpers and it should be good to go for daily duty.

- - - Updated - - -

amazing (as always)
Very good job indeed! and people, please stop quoting all his picture posts haha ;)

Thanks for the support.

- - - Updated - - -

Made some good progress this week, but don't have a lot of pictures.

Completed the following:
water pump
timing belt
tensioner pulley
crank pulley
sos cam plugs
sos lma's
vtec solenoid gaskets
valve adjust

Engine looked pretty clean to me. Although it should for a car with under 17,000 miles.

Hail Hail Super awesome Midwest spring weather. Sounded like it was going to break a skylight.

lma's are a big (for me) time consuming job. Stock lma on the left, no lma in the center, and sos lma installed on the right. None of the stock lma's were sticking, but I figured there was no time like the present. Also, the car came with never installed sos cam plugs, so I figured they'd be a worthwhile upgrade.

Last edited:
Looking great.

So I must ask, will this be a long term keeper or do you plan on selling this very well documented mega rare NSX when you're complete?

Looking great.

So I must ask, will this be a long term keeper or do you plan on selling this very well documented mega rare NSX when you're complete?

Thanks Chris. I really don't have a plan yet. Last year I sold the xk140 that my old man gave me. (I did note he is the coolest father on the planet earlier in this post, right?) It was the car that got me into cars and I was very attached to it. I fondly remember running home from elementary school to "help" him work on it. Selling it sort of changed me and I'm no longer attached to my cars. It's partly why I sold my old NSX. My new philosophy is to enjoy as many great cars as I can and I love projects.

Time will tell I guess.

Hope all is well and you're feeling better. Any updates on the build?

Hope all is well and you're feeling better. Any updates on the build?

I'm doing just fine. However, I haven't made much progress in the last few months. My painter has a contract with and Indycar team that keeps him very busy. Unfortunately, my delay caused me to miss the window that he had for me. So, I've decided to prep and paint the bottom of the car myself.

Here are a few updates:

My parents new Indiana (retirement) house with a Zanardi Edition inspired living room. shhhhhhh don't tell. lol

Decided to remove the fenders to get the entire chassis painted and the insides of the fenders.

More parental part storage. Oops I filled their garage too! shhhhhhhh!

Paint

I'm not completely satisfied with my paint job that will only be seen when the car is on a lift. So, I may scuff it up and redo it. Once I'm completed with the bottom it will go back to the painter geek.

Then I'll start on...................http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...4NA115XRT000326-NOT-RUNNING-MECHANICS-SPECIAL
Oops!

Man.... you make me want to get my NSX to the bare chassi and build it up
with everything like new....

your attention to detail is second to none, but i have to tell you that you miss
one little detail: You didn't isolate the lifts arms and they are now painted red !!!
AHAHHA

Take care my friend, and keep up the awesome work you've been doing,
Nuno

Back