• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

McDork’s 1998 Coupe JH4NA2131WT000070 listed as “Zanardi Prototype” in the wiki

P1080949.jpg

Hey [MENTION=31260]Jinks[/MENTION] Thanks for those yellow clips I put the windshield garnish on today.
I drank a beer in your honor.

Last edited:
attachment.php

Hey @Jinks Thanks for those yellow clips I put the windshield garnish on today.
I drank a beer in your honor.

Hahah! Looking McClean and McCool my friend. I am honored that something from my garage made it into one of your epic restoration projects. Anytime bud.:smile:

OMG Chris!! Your car looks gorgeous!! The paint looks incredible. I really like the way they look, but would it have had OE black side mirrors? Makes me want to do that to my car. What you had done to the exhaust tips just makes everything look in sync, Beautiful!!!

Joe

91 NSX Red/Black and still blown away by the public's response to it.

Hahah! Looking McClean and McCool my friend. I am honored that something from my garage made it into one of your epic restoration projects. Anytime bud.:smile:
Thanks man! maybe someday I'll have the opportunity to buy you a beer.:cool:

Wow, now this is how I want my NSX to look--love the slanted tips!
lol your NSX looks just fine...really fine!

Gorgeous! Especially the wheels! Love seeing the black top!
Thank you I appreciate the compliment. I have fallen in love with the Zanardi wheels. Ten years ago I wouldn't have cared less about them.
Now there isn't any other wheel out there that really intrests me.

OMG Chris!! Your car looks gorgeous!! The paint looks incredible. I really like the way they look, but would it have had OE black side mirrors? Makes me want to do that to my car. What you had done to the exhaust tips just makes everything look in sync, Beautiful!!!
Joe
91 NSX Red/Black and still blown away by the public's response to it.
Joe thank you very much. The mirrors should be red, but a few years ago I had the roof and mirrors of my old NSX vinyl wrapped black and I just love the look of the black canopy with black mirrors. With this car I thought it would be a subtle, racy, and tasteful diferentiatior from all of the other red coupes. Although, I had a set of mirror housing painted red and they are ready to go just in case I change my mind later on.
Thanks again for all of your very kind comments over the course of this journey. I can't believe it took this long, but finally there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

Wow talk about an amazing build!!
Thanks Sir much apprectiated.

okay, I was wrong. The exhaust looks great. Can't wait for you to sell it to me.
Lol I can tell you mentally it would have been a lot easier to play it safe. However, small stuff like the exhaust tips bother the hell out of me.
Thankfully, Mike was willing to do it and did such a great job.
I will put you down on my group want to buy list.:smile:

Thanks again for all of the positive feedback over the years on this. Hopefully, it won't disappoint in person for those of you who get to check it out.
I'm definitely going to get some professional photos of this one when it's done.

Thank you I appreciate the compliment. I have fallen in love with the Zanardi wheels. Ten years ago I wouldn't have cared less about them.
Now there isn't any other wheel out there that really intrests me.

I'm still in the honeymoon phase over finding the 15"/16" type-R 5-spokes for mine in 2013 just weeks after buying my '93, but the Zanardi wheels are a very very close 2nd place for me. For a small car like the NSX I personally think the 16/17's are the perfect size, especially with just a hint of drop. In fact my original plan for the 15/16's was to refinish them in washi grey, as I'm not the biggest fan of the white-out look with white-ish wheels on a GPW, and I secretly hoped that any 15/16's I found would be in such rough condition that I'd be forced to refinish them. As it turned out though I wound up finding a really clean set in NJ. But, the first time I saw Zanardi wheels in person was on Honda's Zanardi at NSXPO 2014 in Columbus, and I just stared at them for minutes on end... If you took more photos of them in this thread of yours, I sure wouldn't complain.

This build thread is maybe one of my favorite threads on Prime to date. :)

Last edited:
I feel the same exact way re: the 16/17 setup. That setup looks perfect on the pop-up NSXs. I know a bunch of NSX guys who were all about the big & wide wheels with low profile tires setup just a short time ago and have now transitioned to new builds with the OEM-spec setup with meaty tires. I guess replacing fenders and tires gets old!

I'm still in the honeymoon phase over finding the 15"/16" type-R 5-spokes for mine in 2013 just weeks after buying my '93, but the Zanardi wheels are a very very close 2nd place for me. For a small car like the NSX I personally think the 16/17's are the perfect size, especially with just a hint of drop. In fact my original plan for the 15/16's was to refinish them in washi grey, as I'm not the biggest fan of the white-out look with white-ish wheels on a GPW, and I secretly hoped that any 15/16's I found would be in such rough condition that I'd be forced to refinish them. As it turned out though I wound up finding a really clean set in NJ. But, the first time I saw Zanardi wheels in person was on Honda's Zanardi at NSXPO 2014 in Columbus, and I just stared at them for minutes on end... If you took more photos of them in this thread of yours, I sure wouldn't complain.

This build thread is maybe one of my favorite threads on Prime to date. :)

McDork,
So when do we get some Engine Bay shots? Congratulations on the work so far!

J.

Thanks Sir! I should be able to get a few pictures soon.

Thanks to the knowledge, assistance, patience, and generosity of Kaz I was able to my ABS upgrade woes resolved. I cartainly owe him a debt of gratitude.
Little did I know how completely un-ituitive the wiring is on the KSP upgrade harness. The directions were in Japanese and instead of getting them translated; somehow I misplaced them or threw them out. So, I'm nominating myself for the what not to do award on this one. However, I thought a few of the following items may help someone else out in the future.

There are two pieces to the wiring puzzle:

1. Providing power and ground to the new ABS pump.

There are two pairs of black wires terminated with a ring connector on the KSP upgrade harness.
The shorter set, by the new black/oragne ABS connector is the ground set, which may need to be extended for LHD models.
The longer set goes to the fused side of the 40amp ABS fuse, in the pentagon shaped fuse box, in the front compartment.
Instead of running the pair from the harness into the pentagon shaped box I hooked them into the un-used old orange connector that was used to power the old ABS pump motor.
In order to provide power to the positive side of this connector you have to remove the ABS relay from the pentagon box and short the two lower female terminals. These are the same that are jumpered to power the old ABS pump when flushing the old style system. The old pump power wire is still fused with the 40amp ABS fuse in the pentagon shaped box and I though it looked cleaner / more oem than the other way.

2. Configuration of the ABS warning light circuit. (behind glove box connections)

Configuring the ABS warning light circuit for a 1998 is not intuitive at all. Wiring the ABS warning circuit is different depending on the year NSX you are upgrading.
*****THIS SHOULD BE VERIFIED PRIOR TO INSTALLATION******* :smile:
This info pertains to my 1998 and I'm not sure what other years.

For my particular application the grey relay provided is removed entirely.
You can also disconnect and remove the Red, Black, Green, and White/Blue wires going to it from the clear barrel connectors.

The Green wire from the white 20pin connector then gets connected to the White/Blue 18pin WHT/BLU and that's it.

So, I have a few other loose ends to button up and then I should be ready to get it aligned.

I also have the KSP harness and waiting to install my new ABS, so might have some questions for you Chris! Build is looking magnificent, love all the little touches you do to make it yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have the KSP harness and waiting to install my new ABS, so might have some questions for you Chris! Build is looking magnificent, love all the little touches you do to make it yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex, I'm sure you'll have no issues. Just be sure to get the correct abs warning light wiring configuration for your particular year.
Thanks for the compliment!

Just finished reading this entire build. I somehow missed that Major Stoner sold his beloved NSX.
The attention to detail is incredible! Well done! Very nice to see this car get some love and put back to its roots.
I hope you get to bring it to NSXPO and show it off!

Just finished reading this entire build. I somehow missed that Major Stoner sold his beloved NSX.
The attention to detail is incredible! Well done! Very nice to see this car get some love and put back to its roots.
I hope you get to bring it to NSXPO and show it off!

Thanks Sir! Much appreciated!
Major Stoner was a super cool guy and an important part of the car's history for sure.
I hope he likes what I've done with it.

Thanks Sir! Much appreciated!
Major Stoner was a super cool guy and an important part of the car's history for sure.
I hope he likes what I've done with it.

I'm not sure if he appreciated you dethroning the only (known) NA2 Coupe with fixed head lights in the country! Just kidding, I would have done the same.

This winter when I was refitting the front bumper I got careless and when I re-installed it I managed put a decent scratch under the front right maker light. In the same crapster day I also managed to put a scratch on the top of the front bumper. I was and still am furious with myself, but I've made dumber mistakes in life.:smile:

Anyhow, I took the car back to The PainterGeek / artist Justin to erase my mistakes and give it a quality final once over. He did not disappoint.
What a talented guy he is. I took some pictures, but they just don't capture the quality of this car.

I'm not on facebook but found this from Justin:
https://www.facebook.com/PGpaintworks/videos/10154793287967670/

Next up:
1. Touch up and buff wheels
2. Get aligned [MENTION=17417]SOURCE 1[/MENTION]
3. Tie up a few other loose ends

Beautiful Chris. How come you're rocking the Targa wheels? You know what I'm going to ask next....

You're not willing to drive it without the inner fender liners, are you? :wink:

You're not willing to drive it without the inner fender liners, are you? :wink:

No they are just one of the last things to go on. I installed the rears yesterday.

I picked up a nsx-r chicken coop engine cover last year, had it painted, and finally got to install it.

Big thanks to [MENTION=16180]comtec[/MENTION] for putting together a no drill prop mount. I was impressed with how professionally put together this kit is. The fitment was great and it fits fine even with the engine bay fan.
Unfortunately my pics are even worse than usual.

This piece sits flush with the rail

I modified the clip and rear bracket to mount behind the existing bracket. (I liked the looks better)

Back