• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

McDork’s 1998 Coupe JH4NA2131WT000070 listed as “Zanardi Prototype” in the wiki

The intention of this thread is to document what I’m able to learn about 1998 ACURA NSX JH4NA2131WT000070 and return it to the state in which it was released into the wild, by mother Honda. Although, the mod-addiction is strong within me and there will be a few very minor reversible mods. This car has been thought for many years to be the Zanardi Edition prototype and is listed in the wiki, as such. Whether this info is accurate or not has yet to be determined with any concrete evidence. If you happen have any information regarding this car or know a guy whose brother’s cousin knows a guy, I’d appreciate your help and please feel free to contribute to this tread or PM me. There have been several generous people thus far that have helped me gather the info that I have and I greatly appreciate their assistance. It’s wonderful to be a part of such a generous community.

So, off we go. I’ve done my best to try and organize what I have.
The story of this particular car has always intrigued me when reading about it on NSXPRIME and when it was listed for sale, over a year and a half ago, I contacted Major Stoner with some questions. However, I wasn’t in a position to purchase the car and couldn’t persuade my father to purchase it. Although, I did try which I reserve for very few cars.

This is the listing in the NSXPRIME classifieds
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...X-Red-Blk-Zanardi-Prototype-w-Procar-02-NSX-R

Time passed and last year I decided to sell my supercharged 02 conversion
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/153568-McDork-s-Silver-NSX-R-inspired
Although, I poured my heart and soul into building it, I was at a point in my life where I thought I better do the Fcar while still young and dumb enough to enjoy it. Although, I’m sure I’m not running low on the dumb, closing in on 40 this year is freaking me out a little. To my surprise it sold faster than I thought and I immediately started the hunt for the Fcar. In fact, I had a friend dispatched to look at a 360 Spider when for whatever reason I felt like I had some unfinished business with Major Stoner’s car, having never seen the classified post closed. So, a year and a half after our last communication, I decided to send him an email. To my surprise he replied and the car was still available. We quickly came to an agreement and I made plans to head east and pick it up. Major Stoner was an incredibly nice guy whom was obviously engrossed in everything NSX for many years and it was my privilege to purchase the car from him. It’s not that easy to escape the NSX vortex and I guess you can add me to the multiple NSX owners list. Anyhow, here is what I know so far.

OWNERSHIP DATA
The first and only titled owner, prior to me, was Major Stoner of NSXPRIME. He purchased the car at Paragon Acura NY, in 2000. The car report shows that it was “Listed as a manufacturer vehicle sold at auction” meaning that Honda sent it to auction after it was in their possession for two years.

THE STORY “Zanardi Prototype” ?????
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Rare_NSXs

I put together some of the quotes from Major Stoner regarding the car that I have compiled from the classified add on nsxprime.com and various posts over the years:

After my first NSX was stolen, I needed something special to replace it. Paragon Acura had the largest selection of NSXs in the country, over a dozen at the time, so that is where I went shopping. Up against the wall was what appeared to be a Zanardi Edition with a black top. I had had a dealer in Florida offer me a Zanardi for $125,000, if he could get one, about a year before. I was interested in something unique, and this car fit the bill. The owner of the dealership came out of a sales meeting to tell me about the car.
The dealer owner told me that he had picked up the car at a dealership auction, that it was a prototype, and the engineers referred to the car as OO7. The car had 700 miles on the odometer, from driving it home from the auction. He claimed it was the best NSX he had ever driven, and was going to keep the car, but his wife wanted the new S2000. I purchased the car "new" for $75,000. I drove it straight to Rallye Acura and had them paint the roof red. I'm not sure if the car has the Zanardi suspension, my guess is it does not.

What to drive next? I felt the only step up would be a Zenardi Edition, and I located the prototype. Contrary to popular belief, it isn't '99 number 00, but instead it is '98 number 70. (From what I understand, the Japanese are into numerology, and having a 7 in the serial number is done for luck.) Mechanically, it is just like the 99 production run models, except that it has power steering, which, according to Road & Track, may just make it the best handling car in the world. (Yay for me!) Cosmetically, it doesn't have the plaque and the roof was black. I had the roof painted, without the door handles and moldings. It was a showcar/prototype with 800 miles on it.

I was told that my '98 "Zanardi" is the prototype. It was purchased new. There are some minor differences between mine and the production version, mine had a black roof. Other differences I've discovered are mine has power steering, two pieces of glass in the firewall, and the center caps in the BBS wheels are different, they say "ACURA" in white lettering instead of the normal black logo.

No numbered plate in my car, the VIN is WT000070.

After my '94 was stolen in spring '00, I was undecided as to whether I should buy a new NSX, used NSX, or wait for the update. The local dealer had 10-12 used and leftover NSXs parked in the area between the showroom and the service department, and in the corner was the "Zanardi".

The car has all the tweaks, including interior changes and the TypeS suspension. One change that nobody else has mentioned is the small door handle badges are different on the Zanardi, they are grey, to match the wheels.

VIN DATA

What I have learned thus far is the car has a full Zanardi Interior including the seats, matching door panels, red stitched steering wheel and e-brake, shift knob, titanium console and surrounds, and all of the mats. In addition it has all of the exterior bits including the wheels, door badges, and mesh side vent screens. However, it does not have the Zanardi Edition suspension components, single pane firewall glass, or lightened rear wing, and most obvious the Zanardi Edition plaque and it has power steering. Essentially, it is a 1998 coupe with every single Zanardi edition cosmetic component.

The car is listed in the Honda database as being Red / Tan and the door jamb stickers do indicate this, as well. The color code sticker is R-77 (Formula Red) and it has Interior Type 7 (Tan).

The only quasi compelling piece of evidence that I have been able to find to prove what Major Stoner has said all along came from the following Honda press release photos of the Zanardi Edition NSX I found here:http://www.boldride.com/ride/1999/acura-nsx-alex-zanardi-edition

This picture in particular

After enlarging this photo it’s clear that the color code label on this car is R-77. All of the Zanardi Edition NSXs are said to be color code R-510 (New Formula Red).

After sending this to Ben he advised me to take a closer look at the VIN sticker. To say I don’t have the best eyesight is an understatement and I had a few friends see what they could do to pull the VIN from the image. I was told that there wasn’t much pixel data to go from, but I think that it’s pretty conclusive that this is my car. .

Based on the information on decoding NSX VINs I definitely think this my car and most certainly it is not a 1999 Zanardi Edition VIN.
http://www.nsxprime.com/nsx-faq/nsx-vin-information/
The 7th digit can only be a 1 or a 2
1 is manual transmission which we can see in the picture.
2 is automatic.
The 8th digit can only be the following and if the W in digit 10 is correct (meaning the car pictured is a 1998) only a 3 would be valid.
2 = 1999 Zanardi Edition NSX coupe with manual steering
3 = 1997-2001 NSX coupe with power steering
5 = 1991-1994 NSX coupe with manual steering
6 = 1991-1994 NSX coupe with power steering or 1996 NSX Coupe with power steering or 1997-2005 NSX-T with power steering
8 = 1995-1996 NSX-T with power steering
Digit 9 is a check digit and I don't know how these come about, but it's like a parity bit to make sure the vin is valid
Digit 10 is the model year.

M = 1991
N = 1992
P = 1993
R = 1994
S = 1995
T = 1996
V = 1997
W = 1998
X = 1999
Y = 2000
1-5 = 2001-2005

Digits 12-17 are the sequential 6-digit serial number.

THE WHEELS

I was told that my '98 "Zanardi" is the prototype. It was purchased new. There are some minor differences between mine and the production version, mine had a black roof. Other differences I've discovered are mine has power steering, two pieces of glass in the firewall, and the center caps in the BBS wheels are different, they say "ACURA" in white lettering instead of the normal black logo.

I wasn’t sure exactly what this was all about and decided to see if I could track it down. To my surprise if you look at the majority of the exterior Honda press release photos you can see the “ACURA” center caps. Also, there is a picture of the Zanardi edition at one of the auto-shows and you can see the center caps plain as day.

Oh and this one too!

The production Zanardi Edition center caps are the black A logo. With more of the helpful advice of Ben, I looked at the back of the center caps and there is no part number. The only marking is HONDA.

My wheels

I think it’s safe to say that Ben feels that these could be pre-production center caps, as they wouldn’t be something that could have been shared with a Type-S and it’s unusual that they do not have a part number.

Coincidentally, the online parts breakdown for a Zanardi Edition wheel doesn’t show the A logo.

Anyhow, that is about the extent of my fact finding mission thus far. Next up some pictures of the car.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some of the pictures Major Stoner sent me. He started to modify the car very soon after he purchased it.

I believe this is the first iteration:

Then he hit a snowbank and decided to go for an the 02 NSX-R cosmetic conversion with loads of carbon fiber.

Last edited:
Very nice! This truly is a very unique car, I'm very happy it ended up with someone like you!

Major Stoner is a cool guy, I bought my DF NSX-R seats from him ;)

Very nice! This truly is a very unique car, I'm very happy it ended up with someone like you!

Major Stoner is a cool guy, I bought my DF NSX-R seats from him ;)

Thank you Sir. I appreciate the compliment and hopefully I can do the car a justice. Major Stoner is definitely a heck of a nice guy! This car was his vision and I feel bad about returning it to stock form, but it just seems right.

- - - Updated - - -

After Major Stoner and I struck the deal it was time for the voyage from Indy to North East PA. Thankfully, my mother in law was in town (last time I'll say that:smile: j/k) so my wife had help with our three crazy kids. I left for PA at 4am on a Friday. My friend Fish and I then picked up the car in NY on Saturday. It was raining and pretty much a miserable day except for buying an NSX.

These are pictures from NY:

FISH

After returning to my parents house in PA I took these:

Then off to Flood's to prepare for the drive back to Indy at 4am the next morning.

- - - Updated - - -

Once I returned home to Indy, I got the car washed and took these pictures as a reference.

This was also before my silver car shipped out to its new home in AZ.

The next few weeks pretty much all run together.

Here is the best Birthday / Christmas present I ever recieved. THANKS DAD! You are the coolest, most generous person, I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. It's an honor to be your son. (BTW this is your Thank You card):smile:

My youngest daughter thought it was pretty cool too. :smile:

Installed an in action:

Next I started to part out the carbon fiber interior items. BIG THANKS to a local who bought the vast majority of the stuff. I'm sure we'll all see it again, next spring.

Carbon Fiber Garage Sale

Last edited:
Next up I decided on a good pressure wash before the cold weather rolled in.

Before Pics

Up on blocks for the neighbors :smile:

I used a trick I learned when doing a suspension refresh project on my Porsche years ago with a twist. Instead of just using a hose with hot water, I hooked my pressure washer to the hot water for my washing machine. It worked great, but I don't know how long the pressure washer is going to last. Also, it created more of a project for me as the undercoating started blasting away.

Re-united with the Zanardi wheels

These were after the first go at it

Now that I was in too deep I soaked the undercoating with bug and tar remover for a day and then hit it again with the pressure washer hooked up to the hot water.

This is how it is now and I I'm just going to do the rest by hand.

Thats dedication right there. I would have been nervous having the car that high on thos little jack stands.

Great progress!

Is the suspension all stock now? The front seems to be a bit high comparing to the rear.

Thats dedication right there. I would have been nervous having the car that high on thos little jack stands.

Thanks. I just took my time jacking the car up a little at a time. It looks scarier than it was, but I didn't get under it either, as I'm unwilling to go out like that.

Great progress!
Is the suspension all stock now? The front seems to be a bit high comparing to the rear.

Thanks Again. It is stock suspension and I suspect the weight savings with the carbon fiber hood, 02 front end, no spare, and what I believe is a Zanardi battery, it did sit incredibly high in the front I already purchased some Bilsteins and plan to run them on the lower perch with some RM springs I have in my attic. Additionally, I bought some spacers to try to make it look a little better, IMO.

That's too bad you sold those parts locally. I would have loved to have them.
Sorry, but it was very nice not to have to pack and ship them. Plus the buyer is a super cool guy with a super cool NSX. Although, I have sold most of the parts already I do have a few more items that I will list when I have time.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay this is for the purists:smile: I'm coining this de02converting:

Rough fit of the front end:

Side Skirts removed:

Re-installed factory trunk lid and OEM rear window garnish / removed the 02 sub spoiler

Sold a complete OEM 02 conversion with Procar NSX-R hood and Procar NSX-R wing

- - - Updated - - -

Almost back to stock:

Amazing. Can't speak high enough how much I love this build and the fact the car is back to oem-ish form!!

Was surprised in some of the pictures to see the overspray... whoever painted the parts must have sprayed the rear valance, some of the nose etc on the car!

Since the interior code is tan, is it thought that Honda themselves tagged the car as tan interior then installed black!?

Keep up the amazing work.

Amazing. Can't speak high enough how much I love this build and the fact the car is back to oem-ish form!!

Was surprised in some of the pictures to see the overspray... whoever painted the parts must have sprayed the rear valance, some of the nose etc on the car!

Since the interior code is tan, is it thought that Honda themselves tagged the car as tan interior then installed black!?

Keep up the amazing work.

Thanks for the support, I appreciate it. There is a lot of overspray and the car has had a good bit of paint work over the years. No collision work other than the new front bumper and I have all the receipts. The front fenders were blended with the 02 front bumper, the rear bumper was painted, and the left rear quarter was painted. I knew this going in and will be having the entire car repainted. I want the roof returned to black and want everything to match perfectly, as the front bumper, headlights, sideskirts, and rear valence are from my old 91. Everything else on the car came with the car.

As per the interior color, that is something I'd love to have a definitive answer to. Based on the data from the other factory one-offs this car was produced with a tan interior and that is why it got the tan tag. However, if it had to be special ordered by Honda for Honda, I'm not sure why it would have been manufactured with tan interior. It doesn't make logical sense. Also, the car has had enough fiddled with that I have yet to find a way that I can prove it either way. Perhaps someday I'll find someone with the answer.

Thanks again

- - - Updated - - -

Great work and amazing piece of history

Thanks Sir! Much appreciated.

impressive going from 02 back to stock..there are a few guys on here who are crying with happiness..they know who they are...

Chris,

I love this. I knew you would do the car proud man. You will have one super rare beautiful car when done. ( like most nsx's are but your's is a little more rare )

Brian

Thank you very much Brian. I truly appreciate your willingness to help out fellow NSX'ers. Especially, the one's that are wee bit on the crazy side. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hopefully, I'll have it back on the road for your annual SOURCE1 get together.

Thanks Again,
Chris

- - - Updated - - -

impressive going from 02 back to stock..there are a few guys on here who are crying with happiness..they know who they are...

I don't know that it's impressive, but I thought it would be an interesting change of pace.:smile:

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not crying, but I do have a pup tent.
this one?
0081865500471_500X500.jpg

Nice work! I like how you de02conversion back to the pop-ups. Looks better now anyways..:wink:

I thought about doing an 02 conversion but after seeing this I don't think I will.

[MENTION=13572]cmc140[/MENTION] How do you like that aluminum heel guard? Are you going to keep it? Any pros/cons?

Amazing work as usual!

Nice work! I like how you de02conversion back to the pop-ups. Looks better now anyways..:wink:

I thought about doing an 02 conversion but after seeing this I don't think I will.

Thanks you for the kind words. My opinion on the pop-up / frog-eye lights changes from day to day. Today I think I like the frog-eyes with full 02 NSX-R aero and pop-ups I like just completely stock. To each there own though.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, never thought I would say this but I wish I was in Indiana.
Lucky local to get all those cf goodies.

Same.

I'd be scared making a wish like that. :smile: It's just carbon fiber.

- - - Updated - - -

[MENTION=13572]cmc140[/MENTION] How do you like that aluminum heel guard? Are you going to keep it? Any pros/cons?

Amazing work as usual!

The heel guard is actually pretty cool and I never would have thought I'd think that. I can tell you I never would have purchased one, as it's just not my style. If you pick one up I think you'll like it.

- - - Updated - - -

Removed the Procar carbon fiber mirrors and the Cantrell race filler. Also, installed H&R 20mm spacers in the front and 25mm spacers in the rear. I think it will look better once it's lowered with the Bilsteins.

Back