• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Another NSX just sold at Mecum for big $$

Huh, I've had my car 10 years and didn't know that. Would this also be the place to connect a battery charger?

From another post I saw by Ken: Short story is "wherever it's convenient"

The whole idea behind any automatic battery charger is NOT to disconnect the battery. The electrical draw from the car is not a problem for the charger; that's what it's designed for. And you want to keep the battery connected so that the security system is enabled. So don't disconnect the battery!

The main question is where to attach the charger. There are three main approaches.
(1) You can attach it to the terminal post in the engine compartment fuse box and any nearby ground. This is easy to access, but may not permit you to close/lock the hatch (enabling the alarm) or to use a car cover.
(2) You can attach it to the battery posts. This is especially easy for an onboard charger (the one that's about the size of a videocassette), but it's somewhat inconvenient to remove the spare and reach down to plug in an extension cord draped along the floor. For external chargers, it becomes rather inconvenient to attach, and you may or may not be able to close the hood and cover the car.
(3) You can run a wire from the battery posts to a connector in an easily accessible location (such as just behind the front grille), and install a mating connector on the leads from your charger. This requires a little bit of work to install but once you've done it, is probably the most convenient installation to connect and disconnect, and allows the hood to be closed, the alarm to be enabled, and the car to be covered.

Incidentally, the recommendation in the manual for using the fuse box terminal is for jump starting the car, not for a battery charger. You can use it for a battery charger as well, with the advantages and disadvantages noted above.

One question: Why would they have to jump the car if it was only sitting a few days? For a stock car like this, you should be able to go at least 1-2 months with no issues.

Huh, I've had my car 10 years and didn't know that. Would this also be the place to connect a battery charger?

I a battery tender mounted to the engine bay firewall and wired to connectors in the engine bay fuse box. The connectors are those shown in the owner's manual as the ones to use to jump-start the car. Works just fine.

I assume this auction was just someone lazy who wanted one and it was easier than really searching for one.

Hard to say. If the Mecum car was a 1 owner car (which it appeared to be to me), combine that we the very low mileage and this car was probably picked up by a collector. As you can see from the chart below, you don't have a lot of cars to choose from if you want a red/tan drop top.
uybYTs.gif

The tan interior from 1994-1996 is a bit lighter than the camel that came in 1997, so it is possible that the person liked the lighter shade a bit better. I also think that 96 is a slightly better year than 95 as reportedly there were some targa seal issues in the 95 that got ironed out by 96. Combine all that and there are *maybe* 20 cars out there in red/tan that are as nice as this car? This car could be cleaned up and setup as a "Condition 1" collector car.

It is easy to forget just how rare the later model NSXs are.

Hate to go there but...How many funny comments can you make about this picture?

-Previous owner was John Delorein

-Someone really "loved" this NSX

-The rare vanilla frosting option for the '96 NSX
J Delorien came into the dealer I was working for as a tech and a bought an NSX for his daughter - 4 speed auto :(

That could be a leak checker on those line fittings in the photo.

The powder is spry on foot powder, it is used to find leaks. Just clean the area real good and blow dry with compressed air. Spray on the powder. Watch for the powder to look wet. It works really good, but whoever did it forgot to clean it off.
Thats exactly what we use to use for leaks.

Last edited:
J Delorien came into the dealer I was working for as a tech and a bought an NSX for his daughter - 4 speed auto :(

That could be a leak checker on those line fittings in the photo.

I wonder what ever became of that NSX (Delorien's daughter)? Are these the cars that end up behind someones house neglected and home to many rodents. I guess my point is that if you don't "earn" or work for what you have you don't really appreciate it (cars, money, or whatever comes to mind). If I had a bunch of money I don't think I would buy my kids a fancy car but then I wouldn't try and sell a bunch of kilos of cocaine out of the trunk of my car either.

Cool video! Don't know what happened to it because now it's gone after I refreshed my computer but cool tribute nonetheless.

Thanks! I removed it from my sig because something changed on the board that made it appear as an embed instead of a link.

I'm currently working on an update to the video. I made it at the 6 year mark and now I'm at 10 years so there is plenty of new material to be added.

FWIW there are very few cars out there right now. I counted only ~40 pre-2002 cars nationwide on craigslist and a couple of those are 'dodgy' of course. Seem to be only 10 on eBay as well. And a bunch of these cars have been out there for a long time so presumably are either too pricey and/or have issues and/or are too modified to the owners personal taste

Why was the post removed?

given what we know about the car from the posts above, and the fact that a dealer bought it looking to flip, I'm guessing it wasn't represented too accurately in the ad. I'd still be curious to see it though...

40 cars for sale is not what I'd call "very few out there" in this class of vehicle.

That's based on what I saw last year when I remember it being a lot more. When you factor in salvage, autos, crazy low and high miles, heavily modded, wide bodies, that doesn't leave much at all IMO.

given what we know about the car from the posts above, and the fact that a dealer bought it looking to flip, I'm guessing it wasn't represented too accurately in the ad. I'd still be curious to see it though...

For sale for $90K....

Dealers really seem to be paying up for a nice showroom prop. I'm beginning to believe that they don't actually WANT to sell the cars

There's a good article on how different the transaction prices are from the dealer listed prices. They're hoping that the rising positive vibe given to the NSX will cause someone to buy a car on impulse alone. I actually don't think that price is far off in about 2 years.

Back