• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Improvements over oem?

I have been looking at upgrading my wheels to a set of be forged 17/18 rims. I wanted 16/17 but no one seems to do these sizes anymore.

I have the original 15/16 set up which I switched back to after having a heavy 17/18 set of racing hart rims fitted- which I hated. The car is on r compound tires and is drive on british roads and the handling is incredible on the smaller wheels.

Is it possible with a 17/18 set to get close to the oem set up for FEEL and HANDLING, by manipulating the offsets, tyres etc etc?
( I do not know anything offsets etc about the old racing hart rims)

I'm all for the feel and handling, looks not important, as I actually really like the oem look.image.jpg

Find a set of 94-01 oem 7 spokes...it will do wonders for the looks and still keep it oem and can be had for good prices on here all the time...

Also, enkei makes a light weight wheel rpf1 that are great looking and great price.

- - - Updated - - -

For non-power steering owners, will the steering at low speed still be as easy at 17/18?

I never had issues with my older NSX's when I ran the 17/18 set up.

Here's some 17/18 data you can use, Can you weight the oem 15/16 w/ tires and post them here?

My CE28N Wt.
17x8 = 15.5 lbs, 18x9.5 = 18lbs.

New Conti DW
215/40/17 = 19lbs.
265.35/18 = 24.6lbs.

Total w/ wt.s
Frt = 35lbs.
Rear = 42.8/43.2 lbs

I like the OEM 16/17s. They have a great classic look, are strong, relatively lightweight, relatively inexpensive, and are OEM.

would you say it is strong even after being powder coated? i was planning to track with the Oem 16/17 wheels and now i don't know

I don't know. I hear that low temperature powder coating is ok, but honestly it'll depend on how it's done.

Oem weights- 15.7/ 16.8
It seems with tyres very little is as light. However it is the handling feel, not grip or road holding that I'm concerned about. The feel of the car on 17/18 set up I had felt very different, steering response dulled and much heavier ( non ps car) response, back end felt very tied down, where I was clipping rumble strips on the apex with the oem set up, with the larger wheels he rear tyre was rolling over it.

I wondered if, with the right off sets and the larger wheels not being any wider than the oem 15/16 set up that it could be very similar,although the reduced tyre wall with the lower profile tyres will affect also.

- - - Updated - - -

Billy thanks for that- I'll get through it and drop you some questions. Your thread on 18/19 set ups was great reading, though I fear a set up that big would not work on our roads here!

The big determinant of handling feel is which tire you're using. If you want the very best, most precise handling feel, get 16"/17" wheels (such as the stock '94-01 wheels) and a set of the OEM-spec Bridgestone Potenza RE010, the tire designed specifically for the NSX as supplied from the factory, and which is still available new.

Handling feel is not all that great with R compound tires, which tend to give very little warning before losing traction; they tend to have more of an on-off characteristic when it comes to grip.

Last edited:
Back